• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The Nuvaring thread

Persephone

TRIBE Member
nope. you wear it for 3 weeks, and take it out for 1 week. You get your period during that week.

EDIT: but, like the pill, you can start a new ring right away instead of leaving it out for a week if you don't want to get your period. Not recommended for a long period of time though, you should only do this once, maybe twice.

JESuX

TRIBE Member
haha

i tried it - but i'm unsure as to whether i just didn't give it a decent chance...

all i know is that i stuck 'er up there on day one, just as instructed, and the ride tide didn't part. for the first 2.5 weeks.

in fact, my doctor told me to take it out - and it CONTINUED for over a week and a half AFTER i had removed it.

but, if it wasn't for the bleeding part, i'd highly recommend it. you can't feel it at all - including during special times. and, it was REALLY nice to know i didn't have to worry about it for three damn weeks.

then again, i don't think i can really safely comment on it's effectiveness and side effects after my brief little stint with it....

paging persephone!

:p

edit: gah! that was fast!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Persephone

TRIBE Member
Ahem...well, I have had sex in many different positions while having the ring in. My partner tells me that he can feel it, although he does not find it a bother. He actually finds it somewhat reassuring.

The more vigorous the sex gets, the more likely it is for the ring to come out. That in itself is not a problem at all, as long as you get the ring back in within an hour (if it is outside of your body for more than three hours you have to start a new one - just like the pill). I've had the ring come out during sex (I guess you could call it vigorous), and the most dangerous part was that I didn't even realize that it had come out. So, if you are engaging in vigorous sex, make a habit of checking that your ring is still in place afterwards.

mayab

TRIBE Member
KillaLadY said:
Actually, I DO have a question: so is it safe to have vigorous sexual intercourse with this?
I don't think that safety is an issue but I did notice that things felt a little bit 'tight' in there during sex. But the doctor did mention that you can have it out for about an hour without risk if you feel uncomfortable.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Persephone

TRIBE Member
I wouldn't say it hurts. It felt different the first time, but only very slightly. The ring is actually very smooth so I can't imagine it feeling scratchy.

If anything I imagine that it could enhance sex for those who are particularly sensitive in their vagina. But honestly, after using it for almost a year, I don't even notice that its there during sex.

mayab

TRIBE Member
KillaLadY said:
Does it hurt during the intercourse? - like... do I feel it scratching... or whatever?
It never hurt me. But sometimes I could feel it moving inside me and as I said, things just seemed tighter in there;) But that might add a little something?!

Overall I was very happy with it. You can set your computer calendar alarm to remind you when to take it out and put a new one in.

Persephone

TRIBE Member
Michlerish said:
I would have more of a problem remembering when 3 weeks was up, than remembering a pill everyday.
Yeah, I know what you mean. Because you don't even notice that you have the ring in, it is a challenge to remember to take it out. I've forgotten to take it out before, which really doesn't have any bad effects. I left it in for about 12 hours extra, and the result was that I got my period about a day later than usual.

But, if you go to your doctor and get a sample of Nuvaring it comes with a cheesey little electronic "egg timer" with a digital display screen. You push the start button when you put in your first ring and it counts down the three weeks. The timer beeps on the day that you are supposed to take out your ring. When you do so, you just push a button on the timer, and then it counts down the seven "off" days, and will beep again when you're supposed to put in a new ring. It repeats this cycle all by itself, but you can reset it if you change your on/off pattern for some reason.

edit - the calendar is a great idea too!

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Persephone

TRIBE Member
I didn't notice any changes in my skin, but I've never really had skin problems to begin with. Just the occasional zit. I guess that can be interpreted differently though - the ring didn't give me any skin problems.

No mood swings or noticable weight gain either.

madnezz

TRIBE Member
ok, so for those who are totally ignorant about this "ring", can someone answer some questions for me? (I know i could look it up, but its more fun to ask):

How does it work? How does it prevent pregnancy?
How long has it been around?
Is there chance for infection?
Can someone draw me a diagram? ;)

mayab

TRIBE Member
KillaLadY said:
Did it have any effect on any physical changes (better skin, etc etc)
Certain pills make my skin worse, but things didn't get better or worse when I was using nuvaring. I think that the information pamphlet said that you will be less likely to experience negative side effects associated with birth control because of the lower levels of hormones in your blood.

Persephone

TRIBE Member
madnezz said:
ok, so for those who are totally ignorant about this "ring", can someone answer some questions for me? (I know i could look it up, but its more fun to ask):

How does it work? How does it prevent pregnancy?
How long has it been around?
Is there chance for infection?
Can someone draw me a diagram? ;)
Lol, I'm not going to draw you a picture but there are plenty of pictures here: www.nuvaring.com.

the Nuvaring is a small plastic ring about 2 inches in diameter (yeah, it seems kinda big, especially for the petite girls!). The ring contains your usual estrogen/progestin, the same type of hormones that you would take in a combination pill. It is made of a porous substance that allows the slow, constant release of the hormones across its outer edge.

to use the ring you have to insert (read: with your fingers) it into your vagina so that it rests around your cervix. Again, the diagrams on that webpage are really helpful to understand this.

The natural tension in your vaginal muscles holds the ring in place. While the ring is inserted, it slowly releases the hormones and they are absorbed by the surrounding tissue. From there on out, it works just like the birth control pill except for two very important differences:

1) when you take oral BC, the hormones are first processed by your liver before entering the blood stream and travelling to your ovaries/uterus. This results in the "first pass effect" - the amount of hormone you ingest is not the same as the amount that enters your blood stream because your liver "filters" (ie breaks down some of the hormone). With Nuvaring, the hormones enter your body right at the site where they are intended to act - they do not go to your liver for processing first. As a result, the dose needed for nuvaring to be effective is lower than with the pill.

The first pass effect can also explain why antibiotics reduce the effetiveness of oral BC. When you take AB, they stimulate your liver to increase the production of a few enzymes. Unfortunately, at least one of these enzymes is also capable of breaking down the pill hormones into their inactive forms (this is the mechanism your body uses to eliminate drugs, toxins etc). So, when you take antibiotics, more of the hormones from your pill are broken down due to the increased enzyme production, and you may not be getting the proper dose needed to prevent ovulation.

Again, with Nuvaring acting at the target site and the hormones not having to pass through the liver first, its efficacy is not reduced by taking antibiotics.

2) With the pill, the levels of estrogen/progestin in your blood stream is highest right after you take your pill, and it slowly falls from there. Some girls feel sick right after taking their pill because the levels of hormone in their bloodstream are too high at that time. With Nuvaring the dose of hormone in your bloodstream (and that reaching your ovaries/uterus) remains constant - no peaks and troughs.

I think Nuvaring has been available in Canada for just over a year now.

No chance of infection as long as you practice proper hygeine (ie wash your hands before insertion/removal).

Last edited:

the Doctor

TRIBE Member
Since Persephone seems to be the only one on the board using Nuvaring, let me put my 2 cents in.

I FUCKING LOVE THE NUVARING!!! I have used it for over a year now and have had minimal problems. At first I did the 3 weeks on, 1 week out regime and so, of course, had my period as to be expected. I found it shorter and lighter than usual which now that I think about it, isn't a big deal as I'm typically the same way.

Over the last few months, I took my Drs advice and tried repeating the ring for 3 cycles and then withdrawing it for a week after. Many health professionals are recommending this approach not only with the nuvaring but all non-triphasic BC simply because in our generation, more woman are cycling significantly more often than in the past, therefore putting them at greater risk for estrogen dependent cancers. I found I did have some breakthrough bleeding in the last cycle, but apparently it's supposed to get better over use.

The thing I MOST like about the nuvaring is that it is a LOCALLY administered form of BC. All oral BC methods must pass through your liver before they arrive at their site of action, meaning that you are exposing your body to more hormones than usual. With a locally administered drug, the primary effect is at the site of action (here being your uterus) and as such, there is less of a systemic effect on your body.

What does this mean? Generally speaking less, or less significant side effects. So all the expected crap you have with the pill should ideally be less with the Nuvaring.

As for it's ability to place while having gymnastic-style sex, I've never had a problem with it slipping out of place. I think this really depends on the geography of your vagina (wow that sounds really funny).

So anyways, as I was saying ... it's great. Try it!

the Doctor

TRIBE Member
MissBlu said:
How do you know if your bc is non-triphasic, other then if it does not have it in the name?
1 - Triphasic pills will be differently colored based on their dosage (i.e. pink - week one, blue - week 2, green - week 3)

2 - The package will explicitly indicate which pills are for which week - the point is that they have a step-up dosage so you don't want to mix them up

3 - Read the instruction book in the package.