1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

The next mayor

Discussion in 'Politics (deprecated)' started by erika, Oct 4, 2010.

?

Who will you vote for?

Poll closed Oct 31, 2010.
  1. Ford

10 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. Rossi

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  3. Smitherman

8 vote(s)
    22.9%
  4. Pantalone

15 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. erika

erika TRIBE Member

Because I'm weary of posting under a Smitherman thread.

I finally put my money where my mouth is and donated to the Joe Pants campaign. He's not a star candidate for me by any stretch of the imagination, but he's got policies and a platform, neither of which have been invented after whatever Ford spouted last.

Worst case I still get 75% of it back, so not a bad deal...

2. JamesM

JamesM TRIBE Member

This thread produces a rob ford for mayor advertisement. lol

3. erika

erika TRIBE Member

I only get cheap desktop ads; google must know even more about who we are than we think.....

4. JamesM

JamesM TRIBE Member

well I guess you can't go wrong if he's respecting taxpayers. (as the advert says) :p

5. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

Pantalone campaign releases ads attacking Ford, Smitherman

The election platforms of Rob Ford and George Smitherman are a “demolition derby” and a “chainsaw” poised to destroy Toronto, according to radio attack ads produced by the Joe Pantalone mayoral campaign.

One of the three ads released Monday specifically targets Ford, the frontrunner according to recent opinion polls, for voting against community grants “to more than 200 community organizations including Toronto’s rape crisis centre, the city’s libraries,” and boys’ and girls’ clubs and seniors’ organizations.

“Rob Ford’s Toronto does not include us,” states a female announcer, followed by a chorus of "boos." Later, Pantalone chimes in with: “My Toronto includes everyone.”

Another ad has the announcer saying: “Cuts in spending for seniors and children, parks and community services — Smitherman’s and Ford’s plans for Toronto sound like a demolition derby,” with a car crash sound-effect.

“No thank you — we don’t want our city destroyed,” the woman says.

Suddenly there is soothing music and Pantalone says: “This is our city. I won’t let this happen.”

A similar ad says Ford and Smitherman want to take a chainsaw to the city budget, with another assurance from Pantalone, the deputy mayor promising to uphold the legacy of Mayor David Miller and his left-leaning council, that he'll prevent the destruction.

An email from Pantalone to supporters states that the ads will air "hundreds" of times starting Tuesday on Newstalk 1010, 680 News, Jazz FM, and CP24 1050.

The email states:

"Each time we run one of these ads, it will be heard by tens of thousands of voters. But each airing costs about $100. If we are going to run more of them, Joe needs all of our help. Please donate now to buy us more ads, and to challenge those who'd take a chainsaw to the city we care for.

The city has a very generous rebate program, that will refund up to 75% of your donations. A donation of $500 will buy a set of five ads, reaching tens of thousands of undecided voters, and will only cost you $175!"

6. Teflon

Teflon TRIBE Member

That's 65% not 75%!

I just looked up the rebate program. What a joke. This is what is wrong with this city/province/country.

Give us $500 and we will tax you another $325!!!

Your city is fucked folks.

7. erika

erika TRIBE Member

Meh it's not so bad; if a bit of bad math were the only thing wrong, that wouldn't be the end of it.

I donated to Miller's campaign and got my rebate just fine - so "our" city is just fine thank you very much...

And I'm glad Joe Pants is going on the attack a bit; it's about time.

8. JamesM

JamesM TRIBE Member

pants is receiving millers endorsement:

9. Teflon

Teflon TRIBE Member

Not saying your city to be a jerk. Just that it's not my city. I am off to our debates this week.

I just want my garbage picked up, please.

10. alexd

They are all self serving douchebags IMO.

11. [- FuNKtiOn -]

[- FuNKtiOn -] TRIBE Member

but we're talking about politicians.
    how many politicians aren't ultimately self serving when in election time?

and really, who's the lesser evil?

you are clearly anti-Smitherman based on the other thread, and you don't seem to be in the Rob Ford demographic. so the question is whether to go with the better of the bunch, or waste your vote by not voting (or voting Rossi)?

12. kuba

kuba TRIBE Member

Rocco Rossi's financial platform is the most sound. Sure that bonehead idea to build a tunnel will never happen, but, I'm voting Rossi.

13. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

i wonder what's worse: taking the crazy pills, or drinking the kool aid? Seems like everyone in the city falls in one category or the other.

14. Big Harv

Big Harv TRIBE Member

A Smitherman sign was on our lawn when I left for work this morning. No one in our house ordered one or care to see that moron elected.

15. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

heh. no one wants to see anyone elected. complain complain complain is the mantra. arrogance seem sto the the spiritual level attained here. People would rather run off into the woods and die like dogs or something. I would like to know what some of these people's ideal government looks like, and where to find the people to make it happen.

16. alexd

I am seeing a huge number of FORD for MAYOR in Leslieville - more than any other mayoral candidate actually. That is totally surprising to me.... I knew the polls were going his way, but when you see that many lawn signs it looks like this could be another Brazilian clown type landslide...

17. Nesta

Nesta TRIBE Member

joey pants!

18. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

meh. if Howard Gomberg is still on the ballott i'll vote for him.

19. alexd

RIP tooker gomberg

20. coleridge

coleridge TRIBE Member

Yeah me too. In fact I haven't seen a single sign for another Mayoral front runner.

My neighbour has a huge Ford sign on his lawn, it's driving me crazy.

That said, I'm voting for Liz West over Paula Fletcher and Liz looks like she might cozy up to Ford... however, she has huge support form the arts community and I like that.

21. alexd

I have sent Liz a question about her policy on cycling. Yet to get a response.

Are you in the Leslieville 'hood?

22. coleridge

coleridge TRIBE Member

Yeah I live at Logan/Eastern.

I actually see you all the time but I don't realize it until too late. I once sat beside you at Lady Marmalade but didn't realize it was you until I saw you walk out the door. LOL

23. alexd

Ha! Same here : i often don't recognize people in the daylight when I am used to seeing them lit my CDJ LEDs and 1200 stylus needles in a dark venue :)

24. alexd

According to the most recent poll (not our super accurate pole), Smitherman is now beating Ford by 1%

25. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

OK fuck what I want.

I am casting a purely negative vote for Smitherman.

I think Smitherman has some points for him but this election I dont feel any positive pull to a candidate - at least nothing that compares to my antipathy for Ford.

I'm voting for whoever has a chance against Ford.

Smitherman, I'm looking at you.