• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

The New Nintendo Wii thread

kaniz

TRIBE Member
Haven't tried Bit.Trip.Runner yet, saw a few videos of it and it didn't really grab me - although, I thought that about Bit.Trip.Core and ended up enjoying it quite a bit.

Was playing Art Style: Light Trax the other night.

Pretty neat game and I'm loving the soundtrack to it. Took me a few tries on the first map to 'get' the game-play and how to get a lead in a race/etc, it's not your normal racing game. The visual style is great, and love how they've modernized such a retro-feeling game play.

praktik

TRIBE Member
OK. USB loading has breathed new life into my wii. FInally sat down and figured it all out - got my legit copy of Indiana Jones to install homebrew on my 4.3

downloaded some other apps, like Wii MC - to stream right off my NAS most anything (though it does have issues with higher bitrates over the network, or maybe its the Wii processor - who knows)

PLaying all sorts of games including ones I'd never bother to download, let alone burn, like Wheel of Fortune - that turn out to be quite fun.

And I never have to track a disc down again.

Its Wii. The way it's meant to be played.

Zorro

TRIBE Member
Okay, think I want to softmod my wii.

I understand that there are past ways to do this in this thread. but they all seem to be a couple of years old. What am I looking for, what am I scared off and where do I start?

[- FuNKtiOn -]

TRIBE Member
Im also into the idea of modding my Wii given that I havent used it in months, however this whole idea is foreign to me in regards to what I would need to do.

so I too support this request for guidance in taking my Wii from a plain out of the box model to a modded version, as the idea of USB loading definitely appeals.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Okay, think I want to softmod my wii.

I understand that there are past ways to do this in this thread. but they all seem to be a couple of years old. What am I looking for, what am I scared off and where do I start?
Best. Resource. Ever.

Welcome to GAF's Wii Homebrew Tutorial - GAF's Wii Homebrew Tutorial

I basically used this guide to set mine up 100%. Ok, so you have to follow a few links sometimes and I ended up supplementing sometimes with google-fu when I hit something I didn't quite understand.

But this link is your blueprint!

praktik

TRIBE Member
Also dudes, beware of external HD model you use

Stick with the small form factor, USB-powered WD Passport or Seagate freeagent

500gigs should do it

but I went through two others and spent a lot of time loading them up with games wihtout testing, only to find they didnt play well with the wii.

Those WD and Seagate models though have great success - just connect to your PC first, install the software so you can turn off the sleep mode where it turns off due to inactivity (and in this respect WD has the edge, had to go through convoluted process with Seagate to get access to this software when I formatted the hard drive before using the pre-installed drive software)

workdowntown

TRIBE Member
Still trying to sell my modded Wii, had two competing offers fizzle out with no word.

It's in the BSR forum if anybody is interested in buying a whole package, lots of accessories and shit.

[- FuNKtiOn -]

TRIBE Member
okay, tried reading the tutorial and decided this is probably something Id rather pay someone to do for me.

Anyone know a good place downtown Toronto to get a Wii modded? I know there are a couple people on Craigslist offering to do this but I was hoping to get a referal as I dont want to see my Wii turned into a overpriced paperweight.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Oh and just for the thread in general here, [- FuNKtiOn -] I don't know if this was part of your cause for concern:

- When you want to send your USB loader or media player to your Wii "front page" place where you would pick the shopping channel or to load a disc, the guides will say "THIS CAN BRICK YOUR WII" - I dunno, i've forwarded channels on two diffferent wii's now with no issues

- If you use BootMii - make the first thing you do before anything after installing homebrew -> the sector-by-sector copy of your Wii's memory (including the console keys!) to an SD card that BootMii can do for you. Then if you ever DO brick your wii, you can simply load up bootmii - which should still run fine off the SD card - and copy over the corrupted system with the fresh copy you made before you did anything crazy