• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The Neil Young appreciation thread.

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
love the neil. Ira, i'm with you on man needs a maid, that is such a moving song. love him with CS&N and I love him without. love dead mean. i'd really like to see teh new movie, it was playing at the paradise this weekend but i didn't go.

noodle

TRIBE Member
I happened upon The Postal Service's cover of "Do you Realise" just the other day.

Considering that this is my favourite Neil Young song I was VERY VERY VERY pleased.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

alma

TRIBE Member
BigBadBaldy said:
Neil Young kicks major ass.

'You And Me' off Harvest Moon
'I am a Child' from Buffalo Springfield days

Anyone else like these tracks?

lol @ "but that's my sound, man"

JOSHB

TRIBE Member
i really recommend seeing "Heart of Gold" by Jonathan Demme that came out a few months ago. Such a good concert flick. Demme also did the Talking Heads "Stop Making Sense" flick, which is almost unrivaled in its genre.

OhNo!

TRIBE Member
My Neil Young Top 10 Album List(w/favourite album cut)

1-ZUMA-pardon my heart
2-ON THE BEACH-walk on
3-RUST NEVER SLEEPS-powderfinger
4-TONIGHTS THE NIGHT-mellow my mind
5-AMERICAN STARS AND BARS-like a hurricane
6-AFTER THE GOLDRUSH-only love can break your heart
7-EVERYBODY KNOWS THAT THIS IS NOWHERE-everybody knows that this...
8-HARVEST-harvest
9-BROKEN ARROW-big time
10-LANDING ON WATER-weight of the world

soulbrother 10

TRIBE Member
'American Stars and Bars' is my all-time fave Neil Young album. The last time I checked it was not yet availabale on CD. Also love 'After the Goldrush' and 'Rust Never Sleeps'.

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
Cinnamon Girl has been getting a lot of play with me as of late.

My love for Neil knows no bounds. Is he going to be touring soon?

JOSHB

TRIBE Member
OhNo! said:
My Neil Young Top 10 Album List(w/favourite album cut)

1-ZUMA-pardon my heart
2-ON THE BEACH-walk on
3-RUST NEVER SLEEPS-powderfinger
4-TONIGHTS THE NIGHT-mellow my mind
5-AMERICAN STARS AND BARS-like a hurricane
6-AFTER THE GOLDRUSH-only love can break your heart
7-EVERYBODY KNOWS THAT THIS IS NOWHERE-everybody knows that this...
8-HARVEST-harvest
9-BROKEN ARROW-big time
10-LANDING ON WATER-weight of the world

Nice list mang!

MissBlu

TRIBE Member
JOSHB said:
i really recommend seeing "Heart of Gold" by Jonathan Demme that came out a few months ago. Such a good concert flick. Demme also did the Talking Heads "Stop Making Sense" flick, which is almost unrivaled in its genre.

I saw this with a friend a couple of weeks ago... Such a great concert film. Wonderfully shot, and so emotional. You really had to stop yourself from clapping in the theatre. So worth the price of a movie. If you are a Neil fan, you must see this!

Im a HUGE Neil fan... The man and his band are incredible. So many good lyrics, songs that its impossible to pick favourites. Cinnamon Girl is def. one of my favs, but the list goes on and on...

Next tour I am so there...

Surfer Joe

TRIBE Member
Just saw it last night. Great movie and I know what you mean about wanting to clap in the theatre. In fact, everyone did at the end. It was great to hear Neil reveal the origins of some of the songs as he's normally so reserved. Very touching at times, such as the story about his dad who suffered from dementia before dying. It was a very reflective and understated performance, totally unlike his electric work. Neil's voice is strong but fragile at the same time, if that makes any sense.
To add the list of great Neil songs, some of my favourites are:

Only Love Can Break Your Heart
Thrasher
Don't let it bring you down
Ride my Llama
Sample and hold

Saw Zuma and Reactor on sale at Sam's recently, for 7.99 each or something, FYI
My handle actually comes from a song off Reactor, "Surfer Joe and Moe the Sleaze."

~Loress~

TRIBE Member
def have a soft spot for his music.. :)
ahh i remember my first time seeing him play back at exhibition.. he was on tour with pearl jam, soundgarden and blues travellers... what a show!

Surfer Joe

TRIBE Member
I was at that Soundgarden-Pearl Jam-Neil-Blue Traveller show, too. He was the highlight. Never really a fan of Chris Cornell's wailing.

One thing I remember from that concert was when Pearl Jam came on, people from the stands started to pile down over the barricades onto the floor. At first it was a trickle and the gorilla security guards were trying to catch them, clotheslining 14 year old girls and shit. But then massive waves of people jumped over and they were overcome. Just standing there with their hands on their hips, looking frustrated and stupid. Yay slacker revolution!

~Loress~

TRIBE Member
i was with some friends and my bro.. we were part of that! ended up making my way right up to the front! ahh the memories.. :D

LeoGirl

TRIBE Member
Everytime I hear a Neil Young song I'm reminded of my dad. He'd always pull out the guitar when we went camping and sing. I used to tease him lots when I was a kid, but it's one of my fondest memories.

Surfer Joe

TRIBE Member
~Loress~ said:
i was with some friends and my bro.. we were part of that! ended up making my way right up to the front! ahh the memories.. :D

Nice! I wanted to jump down but the people I was with didn't want to deal with the stampede.

MissBlu

TRIBE Member
Surfer Joe said:
Just saw it last night. Great movie and I know what you mean about wanting to clap in the theatre. In fact, everyone did at the end. It was great to hear Neil reveal the origins of some of the songs as he's normally so reserved. Very touching at times, such as the story about his dad who suffered from dementia before dying. It was a very reflective and understated performance, totally unlike his electric work. Neil's voice is strong but fragile at the same time, if that makes any sense.

My handle actually comes from a song off Reactor, "Surfer Joe and Moe the Sleaze."

Everyone clapped at the end when we saw it too... It was so neat to be in a theatre that was so full, and everyone was bopping their heads or tapping their feet...

I totally understand the strong and fragile reference. Its amazing to hear voices that are so raw.

Nice pick on the handle!

Surfer Joe

TRIBE Member
MissBlu said:
Its amazing to hear voices that are so raw.

Raw. That's a word that sums it up.

I also like that he does his own thang no matter what the popular current of the day. I went to the Greendale concert at the Air Canada centre a couple of years ago, which was pretty crazy. He had actors mouthing the words in front of these really bad community theatre-like sets while the plot is close to a Walton's episode. Everyone around us seemed confused and annoyed that he wasn't playing any hits. However, he did Greendale from start to finish, took a break, then the lights flared and he ripped through 5 or 6 monster tunes. Cinnamon Girl, Cowgirl in the Sand etc.

eLeKTRon

TRIBE Member
echootje said:
Holler if you love Neil!

*hollers*

There is no huger Neil Young fan than me.

B00009P1O0.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I've thought about it a lot and I'm convinced that "On the Beach" is his most brilliant work of all time.

This album is special in many ways but I think what sets it apart is its rawness and darkness. There's an air of hopelessness to it as well, but it's the kind of hopelessness that brings out the very best work from artists. I believe he was suffering from depression when he put it together. This is one of the few Neil Young albums ("Harvest" is another) in which he reveals a glimpse into the workings of his brilliant mind. It's chilling and downright scary at points, but this is exactly why it is so good. My favourite track from the album is "Ambulance Blues". It gives me chills just thinking about it. Whenever I play it, every hair on my body stands up and I usually get a little teary-eyed as well.