1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

The Nature of Things / David Suzuki / Oceans

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by alexd, Apr 4, 2010.

1. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

I am just watching the last show in the multipart special on the oceans. I have seen 4 of the shows and I am totally depressed. Much as I love The Nature of Things and David Suzuki in general, and the oceans specifically, the series left me with the impression that the the oceans are almost destroyed and we are fucked.
    I guess Suzuki probably agonizes over how much negative stuff to show in his documentaries so as not to give people the impression that it is too late to do anything to save the planet, or to cause save the planet viewer burnout . The sheer amount of negative gloomy interviews, pictures of dead sea life, ossified corals, and barren sea bottoms in this series has made me really depressed and given me the overall sense that it is too late to do anything. :(

2. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

far too late.

3. Maui

Maui TRIBE Member

Well I'd say there is no chance for the world, but I'm sure they will come up with alternatives when really needed.
    Apparently they are not far from cloning steaks that would relinquish the need for animals to feed the world.
    Also they have found water on the moon and I could see them shipping that here if needed.

4. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

Moon water by Evian... I can just picture the babies in little space suits.

5. Maui

Maui TRIBE Member

Have you seen "The cove" Alex?

They are killing 23,000 dolphins every year. How many dolphins are even in the Ocean. The fuck?
    I think another nuclear bomb needs to be dropped on that Japanese town.
    Unbelievable!

6. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

downloading The Cove as we speak.
    i think i'll be quite saddened after watching it.

7. Maui

Maui TRIBE Member

^^it's really good. Made me sad and REALLY angry. I'm going to lend support to fixing the problem somehow.

8. saskboy

saskboy TRIBE Member

The worlds oceans seem to be a better place to put the focus on rather than global warming.

9. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Except that oceans are a HUGE part of the global warming problem: salinity, PH, currents that could change such as the potential collapse of the gulf stream... changing ocean temperatures affect marine animals like penguins whose primary prey, krill, is moving further south to stay in the colder water it needs forcing them to move with them or die...

So - there are over 6 billion of us, dont we have enough people to look at ocean life and global warming and aren't the two inextricably linked anyhow?

10. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

One-child policy.

11. saskboy

saskboy TRIBE Member

yeah, you're right

I forgot about that whole interconnected thing

but I only have so much time to feel guilty