• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The Motherbitch Of File Sharing : Direct Connect ++

Yes, you are not given the option of not installing Gator with the latest version of Satellite, you have to remove it afterwards. Ad Aware Plus from Lavasoft is a good utility to rid your system of adware / spyware crap.

Is Audiogalaxy or Kazaa better. I've been trying to figure out what to install since Morpheous went to shit, but i hate spyware.

I'm gonna definatly try this DC++ for my "file sharing", but for music i want Audiogalaxy or Kazaa but i get mixed reviews from people.

I picked up Heroes 4 and Dungeon Siege this past weekend off of EDonkey2000.

Yup. EDonkey2000 is still ma bitch for now :D

Edonkey2K is a good program, as Silver1 mentioned, as is DC++ as a replacement for Kazaa and Morpheus.

Audiogalaxy and Soulseek are good if you're interested in mp3's only.

Just a note for EDonkey users out there, never try to download anything you find doing a generic search.

Go to www.sharereactor.com first.

It's like the proper yellow pages for EDonkey and only post reliable/stable files (that are also somewhat plentiful).

And the Beautiful thing is that sharereactor will automatically start the download in EDonkey for you.

I have yet to try DC++ yet. My friend introduced me to it this past weekend.

I must investigate :)

Subscribe to Cannabis Goldsmith, wherever you get your podcasts
You may like it silver1. Over at ars technica edonkey2k used to be the weapon of choice, things have since moved over to DC++ for the forum's file sharing network.

Originally posted by deep
You may like it silver1. Over at ars technica edonkey2k used to be the weapon of choice, things have since moved over to DC++ for the forum's file sharing network.

My friend says it's faster then ED2K at the moment but is that because there's less people using it (i.e. less leeches)?

Do you think it will get to the breaking point of too many people trying to grab from too few places? Just curious.

Originally posted by SneakyPete
Some servers don't allow people with DC++, just DC, what's the reason behind that?

Pete

As mentioned earlier in this thread DC++ has options built into it that are not necessarily file sharing friendly, such as booting a connected user from transferring, transferring from another user even if all their slots are taken up, etc.

Anyone know how to resume file transfers if you cannot remember which hub you were connected to at the original transfer time? I have two downloads midway complete from users, but can't remember which hub I was connected to at the time and didn't add them to favourites...

Also, I keep getting connection timeouts when I try to download users file lists... Any suggestions?

Maggs :D

Subscribe to Cannabis Goldsmith, wherever you get your podcasts
Originally posted by jmaggs
Anyone know how to resume file transfers if you cannot remember which hub you were connected to at the original transfer time? I have two downloads midway complete from users, but can't remember which hub I was connected to at the time and didn't add them to favourites...

Also, I keep getting connection timeouts when I try to download users file lists... Any suggestions?

I think that in the download queue the user from who you are downloading and their hub is listed. Although I may be mistaken on this. Right click on the file and select "search for alternates", it will try and find the file name on the hubs you are connected to. Remember to check mark the hubs you like in your favourite hubs to connect to them automatically. Also try checking marking under options to automatically search for alternate download locations so that in future DC++ will do this itself to finish off files.

Not sure about the timeouts - may be something on the other user's end, or your being behind a firewall (if you are put DC++ in passive rather than active mode). Also check out the latest version 0.163. It has numerous bug fixes over 0.162. The nice thing about DC++ is that new clients are released all the time since it's an open source project.

Unfortunately, it doesn't. Just the path to the file on their HD is shown. I enabled automaticall search for alternates, and a few files are resuming. Problem is I was downloading an entire directory of files accociated with a single app... Oh well. We'll see if it works.

Is there an easier way to add the hubs to your favourite lists aside from typing the info in manually? It's no big deal, but would be easier...

Timeouts stopped as well. It was only on certain users file lists. Not sure why...

Thanks for the help, as always ;)

P.S. Do you have a favourite hub? One that requires a max of 9 Gigs?

Originally posted by deep

I think that in the download queue the user from who you are downloading and their hub is listed. Although I may be mistaken on this. Right click on the file and select "search for alternates", it will try and find the file name on the hubs you are connected to. Remember to check mark the hubs you like in your favourite hubs to connect to them automatically. Also try checking marking under options to automatically search for alternate download locations so that in future DC++ will do this itself to finish off files.

Not sure about the timeouts - may be something on the other user's end, or your being behind a firewall (if you are put DC++ in passive rather than active mode). Also check out the latest version 0.163. It has numerous bug fixes over 0.162. The nice thing about DC++ is that new clients are released all the time since it's an open source project.