• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

The most inappropriate acronym I've ever come across...

Skipper

TRIBE Member
WACT

Woman Abuse Council of Toronto!
www.womanabuse.ca

???????????????????

What was wrong with the Toronto Council against Woman Abuse?

What are some amusing/funny or just plain wrong acronyms have you come across? I know there are quite a few out there.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
That is a pretty thoughtless oversight.

Remember when they were making the new fascist party and it was the "Conservative Reform Alliance Party" or CRAP?

ila

TRIBE Member
This highschool in Etobicoke used to be called Scarlett Heights Institute of Technology.

TribeLurkerGrrl

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ila
This highschool in Etobicoke used to be called Scarlett Heights Institute of Technology.
Hate to correct you on this one... but its called Scarlett Heights Entrepreneurial Academy (at least these days it is)...

ila

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by TribeLurkerGrrl
Hate to correct you on this one... but its called Scarlett Heights Entrepreneurial Academy (at least these days it is)...
yeah, they changed the name in the late 80's I think.

Michlerish

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by TribeLurkerGrrl
Originally posted by ila

alma

TRIBE Member
CREEP – Committee to Re-elect the President was something under Nixon. It's in 'All the President's Men'.

Hang on, maybe that *is* appropriate.

The Tesseract

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Skipper
WACT

Woman Abuse Council of Toronto!
www.womanabuse.ca

???????????????????

What was wrong with the Toronto Council against Woman Abuse?
Because with "Toronto Council..." it makes an association to the city, as being a municipally supported and paid-for program.

Skipper

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: The most inappropriate acronym I've ever come across...

Originally posted by The Tesseract
Because with "Toronto Council..." it makes an association to the city, as being a municipally supported and paid-for program.
Any name including "Toronto" would do that.

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by I_bRAD
That is a pretty thoughtless oversight.

Remember when they were making the new fascist party and it was the "Conservative Reform Alliance Party" or CRAP?
This one takes the blue ribbon.

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
Yeah and they didn't notice until *after* they made it public and started getting ridiculed for it.

I don't remember what it stood for, but I think it was CRAAP.

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
The party's full name was originally the Canadian Conservative Reform Alliance (CCRA). It was the media who added a "P" to the end by referring to them as the Canadian Conservative Reform Alliance Party.

Since the CCRAP moniker seemed to stick, the party subsequently changed their name to the Canadian Reform Conservative Alliance (CRCA).