• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The Mom Thread

mcbee

TRIBE Member
(Maxine - do people sleep train their older kids)?
we had to re-sleep train Brooklyn at almost 3 years old. It was hell, but it worked and she's back to being an amazing sleeper.

It was way harder than when she was young. Lying in bed at 3am listening to her yell/scream 'MAMA!!! WHY AREN'T YOU COMING?????' was awful. But we all survived.

As for us, Piper is now 4 months old and doing well. We've adjusted well to being a family of 4 (for now at least) and Brooklyn loves her sister. Downside is she's the queen of the catnap and wakes 2-4x a night. I'm exhausted!! Sleep consultant is coming on Tuesday!

:) sarah

sugar

TRIBE Member
Congratulations Sugar!

We were going to Dr. Kristen Creek at Queen and Dufferin. She's young and laid back and accepting patients. However, she's on maternity leave now (but only 6 months) and I don't know anything about the doctor taking her place for the time being.
Thanks! I'll check her out :)

Soulster

TRIBE Member
Dr. Davy and Dr. Munk are pediatricians at Yonge and Davisville. No idea if they are accepting new patients.
Lordy! Dr. Munk was MY pediatrician when I was a kid! He was great, but he must be as old as the hills now and close to retirement.

Also, hey everyone. Some of you won't know who the heck I am because I haven't posted regularly in YEARS. But I'm pregnant and at long last can post in this thread! 16 weeks along now, and my belly button has gone from inny to middle-y. Due April 26 and both husband and I are suuuuuper excited. We've been wanting for this for years!

Soulster

TRIBE Member
Thanks!

I have been, generally speaking, feeling great in my second trimester. Everyone keeps saying I've got the glow.

Except today I've felt a bit shit. I feel like my ribs are being pressed on and my stomach is going to crack open from the pressure. I am not comfortable today. I hope this is just a bad day and not a sign that I'm going to start feeling like most women do in their 3rd when I'm only in my early 2nd trimester.

Also, although I'm just under 19 weeks my tummy is HUGE. I look 6 months pregnant or more. I know a girl who is carrying twins, is two weeks ahead of me and is SMALLER than I am. And she had a kid before this too.

I always figured that I would carry small, but apparently I'm quite the opposite!

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
Dear moms of tribe. Zee wifey is in her first trimester and it's before the whole 12 week thing where you can somewhat safely make the announcement public (she's on the 6th week which will finish this Thursday).

Is there anything I can get her at work to help her feel more comfortable? Cushions? Smelly stuff? etc. She's feeling crazy bloated and has pains in her abdomen. Cramps almost? Not too sure how to describe it.

She says walking helps a lot (gas and such). She doesn't get nausea, but does sit on the toilet a lot -like, an awful lot.

Anything I can do or buy her as a clueless husband to help her feel better? She sits at a desk all day.

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
Congratulations. :)

I believe that the extra progesterone can cause constipation, which might be why she's feeling bloated and gassy. She might want to try upping her water intake, eating more legumes & vegetables and trying some prunes once or twice a day. Walking is also great.

awwnaw

TRIBE Member
Don't wait. Do the Metamucil. She will feel better right away. The cramp type feeling is the embryo burrowing deeper into her uterus. Which is uncomfortable but actually a good thing. You're lovely to care and be so supportive. Happy pregnancy = happy baby. For real.

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
Thanks guys! She has Celiac disease so that's out of the question. So, I've bought massive bags of prunes from Costco which she's painfully shoving back on a daily basis lol She's also drinking a ton of water and, thankfully, we also get a lot of fiber in our diets so I'm hoping that helps.

She's always in some form of discomfort or pain. Not sure what to do about that or if there's anything we can do about it.

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
I found the first trimester very uncomfortable and not fun. It eased up considerably in the second. I hope she feels better soon.

I gave my kid prunes AND prune juice when I needed to get things moving a while back - since she can't take Metamucil you could always try that. It's a bit more palatable than straight up prunes too.

peko

TRIBE Member
Dear moms of tribe. Zee wifey is in her first trimester and it's before the whole 12 week thing where you can somewhat safely make the announcement public (she's on the 6th week which will finish this Thursday).

Is there anything I can get her at work to help her feel more comfortable? Cushions? Smelly stuff? etc. She's feeling crazy bloated and has pains in her abdomen. Cramps almost? Not too sure how to describe it.

She says walking helps a lot (gas and such). She doesn't get nausea, but does sit on the toilet a lot -like, an awful lot.

Anything I can do or buy her as a clueless husband to help her feel better? She sits at a desk all day.
Congratulations!

The first trimester sucks balls. Food started to taste funny to me, weird cravings, etc, the bloat, the nausea, the progesterone, ugh. I found the multivitamins and iron supplements wreaked havoc on my system. A mom friend advised me to avoid the BRAT diet. :)

Hire a regular cleaning service (if you don't already have one), increase raw vegetables (spinach, carrots, fiber foods, etc), increase water consumption (get her an awesome reusable water bottle, be fucking super kind and patient.

Oh yeah! EXERCISE (walking) help get things moving too - go out on evening walks together (make it your thing/ ritual), if you can. Start walking early because it gets tougher later on (swollen legs, heavy, etc).

Good luck!

peko

TRIBE Member
Thanks guys! She has Celiac disease so that's out of the question. So, I've bought massive bags of prunes from Costco which she's painfully shoving back on a daily basis lol She's also drinking a ton of water and, thankfully, we also get a lot of fiber in our diets so I'm hoping that helps.

She's always in some form of discomfort or pain. Not sure what to do about that or if there's anything we can do about it.
Get her some ginseng to chew (helps alleviate nausea), probably pill tablets around too. I loved ginseng tea (raw ginseng in hot water).

Discomfort: could be her uterus growing, things start moving around early. Also, it kind of never goes away (until you have the baby), hee. One discomfort is replaced by another - but, all for a good cause.

Last note: don't hassle her if your bed gets a big dip in it (later on), always give her the firm side of the bed. ;)

lucky1

TRIBE Member
Congrats Soulster and to Fornicator's old lady. I am able to post in this thread now :) Through the wonders of science and help of fertility treatment I am now 17 weeks pregnant with out little miracle.

Happy to leave the first trimester behind. Morning sickness started at about 6 weeks and lasted until today, though now it has gone from constant nauseau to just dry heaves if I wait to long to eat (when stomach is empty, and in morning). Bloating the first 10 weeks was awful, I had an asthma flare up, and a bunch of migraines. Since we did fertility treatments I also had to do two needles and a handful of pills everyday until 12 weeks. Finishing all that was a huge relief and now that I've transferred from the fertility clinic to the OB things are feeling much more "normal" for pregnancy.

funny enough I've been eating prunes too as ahem I've also had issues. Can't do metamucil especially with a sensitive stomach (texture issue), and benefibre just made me more bloated and uncomfortable.

already a roller a coaster, but can't believe I'm almost halfway and really looking forward to my 20 week ultrasound and seeing if it's a boy or girl, though I think girl since I've had so much morning sickness. I'm happy I'm starting to look more pregnant and not just like I'm getting fat. No one at work has said anything but I know I've seen a few people looking

my tip for nausea make sure to eat small amounts frequently. The first few weeks I was constantly hungry (has normalized now) and had to carry around many snacks to make it through the day (fruit, snackbars, etc) Also I never ate so much toast in my life as it really settles the stomach!

Last edited:

leigh

TRIBE Promoter
Congratulations the_fornicator and lucky1!

the_fornicator, peaches are also a good fruit to get the stomach moving. Apple juice does wonders as well (though avoid apple sauce - it does the opposite). And if the nausea does hit, apfelschorle is amazing because it does double duty (I think you spent time in Germany, right? So you know apfelschorle...:)). I wish I had other suggestions to help your wife get more comfortable, but the reality is that the first trimester is difficult as your body adjusts. Just remind her that by week 12 she should start feeling better again. I hope she's lucky enough to avoid the morning sickness...

lucky1, keep us posted on your 20 week appointment!

mingster

TRIBE Member
question for the baby-led-weaners:

did your kids come into that weird eating phase in toddler/preschooler-hood?

david (3.5) who was always a good eater, quantity & quality, is doing this right now. he still has a good appetite, but favors bland carbs and doesn't like same variety of veggies as before, doesn't like green stuff, and mixed stuff. I think this is pretty typical and I don't make a stink about it, hoping it will blow over. just wondering if baby-led-weaning has had an impact on either side for other parents out there when it comes to this period of their lives.

mcbee

TRIBE Member
question for the baby-led-weaners:

did your kids come into that weird eating phase in toddler/preschooler-hood?

david (3.5) who was always a good eater, quantity & quality, is doing this right now. he still has a good appetite, but favors bland carbs and doesn't like same variety of veggies as before, doesn't like green stuff, and mixed stuff. I think this is pretty typical and I don't make a stink about it, hoping it will blow over. just wondering if baby-led-weaning has had an impact on either side for other parents out there when it comes to this period of their lives.
absolutely. Brooklyn was a poster child for BLW and now is a poster child for picky preschooler eating habits. The thing that BLW taught me is to not make mealtime a battle and to continually let them choose how much they want to eat. Its my job to offer nutritious meals and its her job to eat. We have implemented a 'try one' bite rule, but we don't force beyond that. We also talk alot about healthy foods and what that means, and how if she wants to choose a treat that may be available (birthday cake, christmas cookies etc) that she has to have her healthy food first.

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
Same with Emmet. The picky eating started around 3.5 and started phasing out once he turned 5. I also did the try-one-bite rule and I found when he helped make something he was more likely to eat it.

Now he's older and will eat pretty much anything, including spicy food and fish (which makes me very happy).

mingster

TRIBE Member
that's encouraging! i am confident that he'll come around if i don't make a big deal about it and let him retain control over what he chooses to eat from his plate. you're right mcbee, i am committed to not having battles over food. he eats it or he doesn't, up to him.

i guess BLW can't eliminate picky eating, but it helps us get through it easier, and hopefully quicker.

mcbee

TRIBE Member
Brooklyn has gone to bed many nights without eating dinner...she chooses not to eat what we've made and that's all that is offered, so she goes to bed hungry. (I die a little inside each time, but she's surviving AND she's learning I'm not a short order cook)

janer, that's good to hear that the pickiness resolves soon-ish!

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
It still drove me batshit insane when it was happening though!

"I don't like sauce."
"What kind of sauce?"
"Just sauce."
":|"