• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The Mom Thread

awwnaw

TRIBE Member
Ugh holy crap. So I was bitching to my friends mom who has 4 kids, 5 grand kids and the housekeeper/nanny for a family with 2 under 3 years. Said pretty plainly; if she's going back to sleep 10 mins after you feed her she's hungry! Humph. Kinda makes sense. But then I also think I could break that habit as wtf at that age we can train our bodies to eat at certain times....? I don't facking know anymore. Struggling with train = starve.

geminigirl

TRIBE Member
I totally disagree with that thinking.
Eating in the night is a 'habit' after a certain age.

Sleep training means - teaching babies that night time is for sleeping - day time is for feeding, cuddling, playing, napping etc..

Babies are quick learners. They can learn to sleep 11-12 hours in no time. It is all up to you to give them the opportunity to do so.

Your baby will not starve. After you sleep train they will quickly forget that eating in the night was every an option.

Having said that, you will do it when you are good and ready. :)

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
Any west end moms stay at home and want to earna few easy bucks? We're looking for someone to watch our 10 month old for 6-10 hours a week.

I posted in the jobs forum, but thought this might fall on better eyes.

leigh

TRIBE Promoter
We're not doing so well with the sleep training + teething. My little guy is finally teething (4 really slow eruptions over 3 weeks) - but half the time I don't know if he's in pain or if he's just hamming it up because he's gotten wise to working me. I just don't have the heart to let him cry it out IF there is a chance he's in pain. If anyone whose done the whole cry-it-out thing has any advice on how to handle the teething, i'm all ears :)

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

geminigirl

TRIBE Member
We're not doing so well with the sleep training + teething. My little guy is finally teething (4 really slow eruptions over 3 weeks) - but half the time I don't know if he's in pain or if he's just hamming it up because he's gotten wise to working me. I just don't have the heart to let him cry it out IF there is a chance he's in pain. If anyone whose done the whole cry-it-out thing has any advice on how to handle the teething, i'm all ears :)
Yup teething sucks!
IF you think he is teething be proactive and medicate before bed.
IF you think he is crying because of teething, give him a dose of advil, a 2 minute cuddle and back in his crib.

IF it is a brutal teething session that warrants giving meds and a long cuddle - go for it. But the second you think he isn't teething get right back in 'sleep training mode'.

One bad cold or teething session can totally undo sleep training. Re-sleep train as soon as they are better. Dont undo your hard work!

Good luck. Teething SUCKED at our house!

We have ONE 2 year molar to go!!!

Liability

TRIBE Member
Yup teething sucks!
IF you think he is teething be proactive and medicate before bed.
IF you think he is crying because of teething, give him a dose of advil, a 2 minute cuddle and back in his crib.

IF it is a brutal teething session that warrants giving meds and a long cuddle - go for it. But the second you think he isn't teething get right back in 'sleep training mode'.

One bad cold or teething session can totally undo sleep training. Re-sleep train as soon as they are better. Dont undo your hard work!

Good luck. Teething SUCKED at our house!

We have ONE 2 year molar to go!!!
Can I ask why you would get on the medication pro-actively. I understand pain management involves getting ahead of the pain, but teething does not seem to bother some kids as badly. Our kid went through teething relatively easily and I would have hated to just medicate for no reason.

geminigirl

TRIBE Member
Can I ask why you would get on the medication pro-actively. I understand pain management involves getting ahead of the pain, but teething does not seem to bother some kids as badly. Our kid went through teething relatively easily and I would have hated to just medicate for no reason.
I'm talking in *terms of sleep training*.

By all means don't medicate. But that means when they wake in pain, you just leave them to cry back to sleep. Otherwise you can undo sleep training.

If MY baby is waking in pain(which she did), I absolutely gave meds.

leigh

TRIBE Promoter
I am moving and have some stuff to get rid of. I know this thread isn't very active anymore, but in case there are some new moms or moms-to-be lurking out there...

Unopened bottle of Raspberry Leaf capsules
Unopened pair of Lanisoh Soothies Gel Pads
The No Cry Sleep Solution
Bestfeeding: How to Breastfeed Your Baby.
Dr. Browns Natural Flow Wide-Neck Bottle (it's a pack of two but I used one so there is only one that is still sealed up and brand new)

I also have some medihoney and mepilex which I paid a lot of money for when I was desperately trying to heal my nipples. Both were suggested by the Newman clinic. The mepilex is still sealed. The Medihoney is open, but I only used it with a qtip. It's almost impossible to find in Canada...

PM if you want any of this. I'm at Queen and Dufferin and will be here for one more week.

leigh

TRIBE Promoter
awwnaw, what happened to your daughter's 9 month sleep regression and early wake-ups? Please tell me it was all just a temporary blip and things have gone back to normal? :) I think we're in the middle of that 9 month regression now, and along with teething, his first cold, and a major move, the positive results from sleep training have all gone out the window.

stryker

TRIBE Member
So my wife is preggers again! We tried to keep our excitement slightly checked and we've kept it out of the public space until recently because of everything that happened with Briar.

But ....my wife is 28 weeks tomorrow with a little boy!! He's over a kilo now which is such a big deal to us because it was the major milestone with Arwynn. That's when the Doctors and Nurses told us we were out of the murkiest parts of the woods. They made her a card to celebrate the kilo club.

Jodi's been on bed rest since July and in August she got a cerclage as a precaution. There was scare at exactly 25 weeks due to a reaction to the progesterone but weekly check-ins continue to confirm that she's doing very well and the wee man is healthy and apparently very comfortable.

This is uncharted territory for us but super exciting :)

stew

stryker

TRIBE Member
thanks guys :) 29 weeks tomorrow!

We had a feeling it was going to be a boy even before the sonogram because Jodi's appetite totally shifted from salads and carbs (and sour keys) which were her tastes when she was pregnant with Arwynn, to cheeseburgers and other flame broiled meats. He takes after his father...lol

She's getting too big to fit in the swimsuit so we got some pics, minus the water..

We also officially busted out the new baby bjorn yesterday. We have another one that we tried a few times back in the spring. It only faces inward and she hates it... threw up every time we put her in it. She seems to love this one :)

awwnaw

TRIBE Member
Congrats Stryker! Arwynn is adorable.

Leigh, sorry Im just seeing this now. Ya it lasted maybe 10 days-2 weeks and then it got back to normal. That one felt like a long one. Probably because it was also coupled with teething. And then maybe 6 weeks later we got to the stage where she could stand and party in her crib. That sucked but only at bedtime and only for about a week. But she'd go through different stages of 'omg I can party in here' to 'why can't I climb out!?'. It was obvious that it was very much a learning of a new skill. I'd just let her tire herself out and go in on occasion to calm her and get her horizontal again. Couple times she fell asleep sitting up. It's less interesting now so it happens but she doesn't go as mental.

Good luck.

peko

TRIBE Member
Congratulations Stryker! :)

------------------------------------------------------

Really bummed out by Zulilly. We ordered the girls superhero costumes (Batgirl & Robin) in September and just got the notice that Zulilly sale over sold on our costumes. Boo! :(

Oh well, the preschooler wants to be a witch - maybe I was more excited about the awesome batgirl tutu then she was. :p So, this weekend I'm whipping up a witch costume.

sugar

TRIBE Member
Hi guys! We're a month into this baby thing and starting to really get into a groove and enjoy it :)

I have a question: do any of you have a pediatrician or family doctor in Toronto that you really like who is accepting new patients?

We have our last visit with the midwife in 2 weeks and then we need to start going to a regular doctor. I can take our daughter to my family doctor, but I don't really like her that much (the doctor, not my daughter!), plus, she's inconvenient to get to from our place.

Re: Shoe

TRIBE Member
I have a question: do any of you have a pediatrician or family doctor in Toronto that you really like who is accepting new patients?
Dr. Davy and Dr. Munk are pediatricians at Yonge and Davisville. No idea if they are accepting new patients.

leigh

TRIBE Promoter
Good luck.
Thank you :D Unfortunately I don't think it was a developmental thing with my kiddo. We definitely hit a sleep regression, but it didn't sort itself out. He's totally winning the sleep training battle. He's got so much personality now, I just can't handle the thought of leaving him to cry. (Maxine - do people sleep train their older kids)?

On the upside, we magically did okay with the time change. So thanks for the reminder :)

leigh

TRIBE Promoter
Congratulations Sugar!

We were going to Dr. Kristen Creek at Queen and Dufferin. She's young and laid back and accepting patients. However, she's on maternity leave now (but only 6 months) and I don't know anything about the doctor taking her place for the time being.