• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The Mom Thread

mcbee

TRIBE Member
Thanks everyone!!

Yes, its true....my little fattie Piper is here. She was born at 12:20pm on July 5th, weighing in a 9lbs2oz. Gah! I look down at her and think, jesus THIS came out of my vagina??

Had my 3rd stretch and sweep on my due date July 4th and my water broke 15 minutes later lol. Irregular, manageable contractions started around 8. Woke up around 2am in active labour, midwives came to my house at 4am to assess and I was 3cm. Met them at the hospital at 6:30am and I was 4-5cm. Got the epidural around 8am, which was somewhat planned due to the VBAC scenario (an epidural is recommended due to risk of uterine rupture/potential need for emerg c section) and I was super thrilled to get it. I had worried that the epidural would stall my labour, but in fact it helped me mentally and physically relax and by 10ish, I was almost fully dilated. Piper's heart rate had been high the whole labour, and I now had a fever and so the OB and my midwife gave me an hour to reach full dilation and for Piper to get in position...if these things didn't happen, it would be csection. Thanks to some good coaching from Kevin and my doula, I gave in to the process and thankfully, Piper cooperated. By 11:30, I was pushing. And at 12:20 my little fattie was born.

My prolonged membrane rupture, my fever during labour, meconium in the water as she was born and her large size equaled alot of troubles for Piper after birth....high heart rate, too fast breathing, trouble regulating her sugars, a fever and signs pointing to an infection lead her to be admitted to the special care nursery late Saturday night where she was put on antibiotics and on an IV drip. Needless to say, not the first night with her we expected.

By Sunday, they were testing for everything including pnuemonia and meningitis which made for an extremely stressful and scary day. Late Sunday night, we got word all her tests and bloodwork were normal and she did not have any big scary infection like meningitis. By Monday we were discharged from the special care nursery and moved to the pediatric wing where she and I are staying in a room together and she is doing really well. All tests are normal and she is on a 7 day course of antibiotics and currently showing no signs of infection. We will be here until Saturday and then finally home!

So all in all, as with most births....not entirely what I expected! BUT I got my VBAC and I'm so effin proud of myself, especially given her unexpected size. And breastfeeding is going really well. So despite this unexpected week long hospital stay, I got all I wanted in this birth.

:) sarah

awwnaw

TRIBE Member
Congratulations and way to go!!! So glad to hear lady Piper is doing well and sorry there were any scares at all. You made a human, so I guess it's worthy of some obstacles along the way. :) thanks for the updates . I for one loved reading about it. Congrats again!!! :)

geminigirl

TRIBE Member
He's been showing signs (non-stop drooling, constantly chewing on things) for a few months now, but I don't think he's actually fully teething, just yet.

After getting some advice from our sleep consultant that didn't feel right to me, I contacted Maxine / Geminigirl and she's helped ups SO MUCH. I can't say enough good things about her (THANK YOU MAXINE!). We've worked on his bed time attire / environment and it seems to be helping a lot. He's still crying during the night, but it's not as intense as before. I feel so much better about the whole thing now...

Mcbee, I think you're either in the last days of your pregnancy or in the new-born bubble - but either way I hope it's going well for you. :)
My pleasure Leigh!! Super happy to help. :) I hope that after a few more nights you don't hear from him - otherwise we should get back on the phone to troubleshoot a little.

Mcbee and R4V4G3D_SKU11S congrats guys!!!! <3 the name Piper. It was on my list. And it is at the top of my list if we have another. That's a good size baby!!!

Do we get to see a photo???

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

peko

TRIBE Member
So all in all, as with most births....not entirely what I expected! BUT I got my VBAC and I'm so effin proud of myself, especially given her unexpected size. And breastfeeding is going really well. So despite this unexpected week long hospital stay, I got all I wanted in this birth.

:) sarah

You've experienced the full gamut of pregnancy/birthing and could be a birthing consultant or something.

Little fatties are awesome! Again, very happy to read your story.

Congratulations again!

peko

TRIBE Member
The Sucky Fairy picked up the last sucky in our house. OC is handling it pretty well (10 bedtime stories later with a few new plush animals by her side). I've been dredging this day and it's not as bad as I thought it would be.

Today, I attended a speech & language workshop through Welcome to Toronto Preschool Speech and Language Services - wait lists are 6-8mths long for speech assessments, not sure of wait time for hearing tests. Highly recommend signing up ASAP, if you're interested.

Not sure what wait list lengths are like in other provinces or cities.

awwnaw

TRIBE Member
Ladies, when they teeth though aren't they in pain before the tooth is cut? Someone just told me this but I wasn't sure. When they chew and gnaw the buds are just forming and are just super itchy... I'm told? My girl has just cut a tooth a week ago and then has been a maniac the past few nights but not chewing on her hands or anything. Sure enough today I see the faintest sliver of a second tooth coming in.

Leigh, the reason I ask is perhaps it doesn't seem like it but the perhaps he's in pain too. Maybe worthwhile trying some Advil one night to see if it helps? I know you don't want to medicate until you know, but I know your little man and my girl are weeks apart so just thinking of what we recently experienced.

leigh

TRIBE Promoter
Leigh, the reason I ask is perhaps it doesn't seem like it but the perhaps he's in pain too. Maybe worthwhile trying some Advil one night to see if it helps?
It's definitely a possibility. Things are getting better, very slowly, but he's still waking up a few times between 3am - 5pm. It's so regular that I wonder if he's still looking for his 4am feed. If things don't improve over the next couple of days, I'll check back in with Maxine and maybe trying the Advil is something we're going to have to do.

Either way - I feel so bad for him. The saving grace is that, at least when I go in to get him every morning, he is just full of smiles.

Also, a heads up to everyone. I've been buying most of my kid's clothes at Gap, when they run their mega sales. They've got a really good summer sale on right now with an extra 15% off with the code GAPEXTRA. Now that I have a baby, online shopping is my new best friend :)

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

awwnaw

TRIBE Member
Hey Leigh, one more thing, are you familiar with the Wonder Weeks? (There's an app which I find is better than flipping through the book)

My girl was acting like a fucking lunatic and her sleep was suddenly jacked and just being a general weirdo. A lady on my mom group for our month suggested she might be approaching a 'leap'. Yup, days away and when I looked up the signs she was textbook. All that to say, they apparently want to sleep less during this transition.

leigh

TRIBE Promoter
Hey Leigh, one more thing, are you familiar with the Wonder Weeks? (There's an app which I find is better than flipping through the book)
Yeah! Love the Wonder Weeks app. Our little guy is in his "sunny" phase at the moment - a couple more weeks until his next leap. Oh boy...i'm scared :)

Maxine suggested that he might be a little warm, so we're going to tweak his bedtime outfit tonight to see if that makes any difference.

stryker

TRIBE Member
Congrats Sarah & Kevin!!...Piper is an awesome name :)

GG....my wife is wondering if there are any issues with letting our daughter cry it out for 45 mins in the the middle of the night. Arwynn's put to sleep around 8:30 and sleeps soundly until around 2am. Then she stands up in her crib and has a fit until we bring her into bed. I'm happy to let her cry it out until she passes out but my wife is concerned that it's bad for her. Is there anything to this?

thanks
stew :)

peko

TRIBE Member
Brooklyn & Piper are both adorable! And, I love the Bla Bla cat.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vintage Fisher Price Little People toys - what do you all think of those? Toxic plastic or great because it's reused toys?

Liability

TRIBE Member
Congrats Sarah & Kevin!!...Piper is an awesome name :)

GG....my wife is wondering if there are any issues with letting our daughter cry it out for 45 mins in the the middle of the night. Arwynn's put to sleep around 8:30 and sleeps soundly until around 2am. Then she stands up in her crib and has a fit until we bring her into bed. I'm happy to let her cry it out until she passes out but my wife is concerned that it's bad for her. Is there anything to this?

thanks
stew :)
That is a huge question and you are going to get very different answers with no definite correct answer. One side will tell you that crying it out will break her out of the pattern of coming into your bed. The other side will tell you that crying it out is going to be stressfull on her and might do lasting damge to her psyche.

That being said, we let our daughter cry it out for a painful 1 hour after 3 weeks of sleep issues. It wasn't easy but it fixed our problems. *results will vary.

Liability

TRIBE Member
My kids play with those, just like my wife and I did when we were kids. Turns out they're still alive.
I get what you are trying to say here, but my mom smoked when she was preganant with me. I don't think I am stunted, but does that make it okay with the knowledge of today.

awwnaw

TRIBE Member
Ya agreed. We know better and do better now. I'm with Peko in trying to navigate a middle ground. I feel like I'm telling myself 'relax hippy' one minute and then 'what if this (insert thing) is like shrinky dinks in the 80's?!!'

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Well I'll keep feeding my kids good food and letting them play outside and if the plastic toys from the 70s kill them then you can say I told you so! Assuming they don't choke on them what's the worst that can happen?

peko

TRIBE Member
Well I'll keep feeding my kids good food and letting them play outside and if the plastic toys from the 70s kill them then you can say I told you so! Assuming they don't choke on them what's the worst that can happen?
Did you & your wife save your FP Little People from when you were kids?

I saw the awesome Hospital and Family Camper sets for $150/$80. Not sure if I want the vintage FP for me more then my kids. :p

Just got the plane at Target for $20, not bad compared to ToysRUs ($30). :D

90% of our books and toys are passed down from family. As much as I love shopping, toys rack up in cost and clutter - so far, the Little People and Wheelies seem to be lasting favorites and not passing interest with my preschooler.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Did you & your wife save your FP Little People from when you were kids?

I saw the awesome Hospital and Family Camper sets for $150/$80. Not sure if I want the vintage FP for me more then my kids. :p

Just got the plane at Target for $20, not bad compared to ToysRUs ($30). :D

90% of our books and toys are passed down from family. As much as I love shopping, toys rack up in cost and clutter - so far, the Little People and Wheelies seem to be lasting favorites and not passing interest with my preschooler.
My wife saved hers from when she was a kid. She had the house and the school. I had the parking garage but it got lost somewhere along the line. Found another one for free though. The kids love them! That and Duplo!

Metal Morphosis

TRIBE Member
my mom has an old school FP sesame street house thing that my kids play with at her house along with the camper van. some of the 'people' are plastic, but there are also some REALLY old skool wooden ones!