• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The Mom Thread

Cri

TRIBE Member
I have been really lucky with Kinley's sleep. She usually goes to bed somewhere between 730-830 and will wake up naturally between 730-830am.

It is AMAZING on weekends, but during the week when we have to wake her up around 630-7am she really does NOT like it! :( It makes for super cranky mornings.

echo

TRIBE Member
Lilah usually sleeps from around 7:30-8:00pm until 7:00-7:30am. Although the last few nights have been a bit of a shit show due to teething.

Normally, she goes down quite easily, and rarely wakes up - even when she nurses. But she didn't go down until 10:00pm a couple nights ago (after much fussing and crying) and she decided to wake for a play session btw midnight and 1:30am last night. And the biting has returned along with the teething - good times!

She's also taken to grinding her teeth together, which I understand is normal, but drives me bonkers as the sound is like nails on a chalkboard *spine shivers*

As far as time change goes - I'm not too worried about it since I'm still on mat leave and can deal with whatever sleep changes it may cause. When we came home for a visit, she actually adjusted pretty quickly to the change.

Tins

TRIBE Member
I dont think I have ever done anything special for either of my kids for the time change. It all seems to work out. Hopefully that is the case this time around again!

mingster

TRIBE Member
i posted this in the dinner thread, but figure it has a place here too : )

in the last month of my mat leave i decided to try rachael ray's "one month of make ahead meals". and now that i'm back at work and my evenings are squeezed for time, i am loving it. it's brilliant.

basically, you make 5 building blocks in one day (pulled pork, pulled chicken, roasted veggies, rice pilaf & tomato sauce), in large quantities. then you freeze it all in portions.

you use different combinations of these 5 items to make 20 different, quick meals in under 20 minutes. since the most time consuming items are already cooked, the rest is easy. we've tried 5 of the meals so far and they are all good, decent, healthy meals. we usually do one a week.

anyway, i love it and i wanted to share it with anyone who needs quick solutions on weeknights.

you can find the whole process and all the recipes here:

http://www.rachaelraymag.com/food-how-to/grocery-shopping-tips/one-month-of-make-ahead-meals

at one meal a week, this going to last a while yet, but i plan on doing this kind of thing again cause i find it really helpful. so if anyone has any other "big batch/one month of meals" type projects i'd love to read them!

rubytuesday

TRIBE Member
That's great mingster! I'm going to try the roasted vegetables and rice pilaf recipes.

We've just been trying to use the crockpot, so we'll prep a bunch of veggies and beans the night before for veggie chili (bf is veggie) and throw it in the crockpot in the morning and we'll have dinner or lunch for a few days. I also do quiches at night for a few days worth of easy to pack breakfasts, they freeze ok. We also order takeout more than we should.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

geminigirl

TRIBE Member
Lilah usually sleeps from around 7:30-8:00pm until 7:00-7:30am. Although the last few nights have been a bit of a shit show due to teething.

Normally, she goes down quite easily, and rarely wakes up - even when she nurses. But she didn't go down until 10:00pm a couple nights ago (after much fussing and crying) and she decided to wake for a play session btw midnight and 1:30am last night. And the biting has returned along with the teething - good times!

She's also taken to grinding her teeth together, which I understand is normal, but drives me bonkers as the sound is like nails on a chalkboard *spine shivers*

As far as time change goes - I'm not too worried about it since I'm still on mat leave and can deal with whatever sleep changes it may cause. When we came home for a visit, she actually adjusted pretty quickly to the change.
I can relate to the teething shit show.:OThankfully it is during the daytime, so far. Still, sucks donkey balls! Still waiting for a first tooth.

You're right about being on mat leave and dealing with whatever comes. Good way to look at it. Still gonna work hard on a 7am wake time though!

LeoGirl

TRIBE Member
i posted this in the dinner thread, but figure it has a place here too : )

in the last month of my mat leave i decided to try rachael ray's "one month of make ahead meals". and now that i'm back at work and my evenings are squeezed for time, i am loving it. it's brilliant.

basically, you make 5 building blocks in one day (pulled pork, pulled chicken, roasted veggies, rice pilaf & tomato sauce), in large quantities. then you freeze it all in portions.

you use different combinations of these 5 items to make 20 different, quick meals in under 20 minutes. since the most time consuming items are already cooked, the rest is easy. we've tried 5 of the meals so far and they are all good, decent, healthy meals. we usually do one a week.

anyway, i love it and i wanted to share it with anyone who needs quick solutions on weeknights.

you can find the whole process and all the recipes here:

One Month of Make-Ahead Meals - Every Day with Rachael Ray

at one meal a week, this going to last a while yet, but i plan on doing this kind of thing again cause i find it really helpful. so if anyone has any other "big batch/one month of meals" type projects i'd love to read them!
This is amazing! Now that I am back to work and we currently have activities 3 of 5 work/school nights - this could be very helpful. Thanks for sharing.

echo

TRIBE Member
Still gonna work hard on a 7am wake time though!
I bet if you just shift her entire schedule by 10-15 minutes every couple of days, she'll adjust within a week or so :)

Lilah is working on her 4th tooth, and she's making a few developmental advancements (crawling/pulling up to a stand) so she's definitely not at the top of her sleep game right now - heh.

But she's really taken to the baby led weaning approach for solids, and she's chattering up a blue streak (I could swear she's saying mama to me, but it's probably wishful thinking), so lots of fun stuff going on to outweigh the crapnaps! Haha

Mingster - that is an awesome find for make ahead dinner ideas! Thanks for the link.

sk8

TRIBE Member
This is amazing! Now that I am back to work and we currently have activities 3 of 5 work/school nights - this could be very helpful. Thanks for sharing.
I know right! I think we're getting slow cooker overload (my go-to on dance nights) so it will be nice to have some more quick stuff in the rotation.

Cri

TRIBE Member
Does anyone know of any stores that would sell little camis for toddlers?
I am a big fan of layering and want to layer Kinley too lol. Poor kid ;) Poor husband. He just rolls his eyes at my 'under tank tops' haha :)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

barkley

TRIBE Member
Does anyone know of any stores that would sell little camis for toddlers?
I am a big fan of layering and want to layer Kinley too lol. Poor kid ;) Poor husband. He just rolls his eyes at my 'under tank tops' haha :)
We buy Zoë's undershirts at Zellers - Cherokee brand. I know most Zellers are closing down, so you might find some good deals. We actually buy her the "boy" ones - they are more traditional ribbed undershirts, and they are a dollar less than the "girl" ones that have spaghetti straps and a line of pink stitching.

Casey

TRIBE Member
My guy is such a shit sleeper that I have to give myself a pep talk everyday to remind myself that I'm probably not going to die from sleep deprivation (unless it results in me causing some kind of catastrophic lab accident). His new thing is getting up at 530 am and crapping himself, haha.

Last edited:

Metal Morphosis

TRIBE Member
Joe Fresh has undershirts, so does Carter's. I need to buy some for Elliot soon, along with winter boots (gah!)

In other news, my mom survived three nights with the kids! Thomas woke up 3x the first night, but only once on the other two nights and went back down wig a bottle quite nicely, yay!

The first trip away is the hardest, now I'll feel more comfortable doing it again in the future. And not that I'm quite ready to stop nursing just yet, but I am looking forward to not havIng to deal with pumping next time!

Cri

TRIBE Member
Thanx guys :) I haven't been to either Joe Fresh or Zellers as they aren't super close to me but they aren't really that far either so I will check it out!

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

rubytuesday

TRIBE Member
My guy is such a shit sleeper that I have to give myself a pep talk everyday to remind myself that I'm probably not going to die from sleep deprivation (unless it results in me causing some kind of catastrophic lab accident). His new thing is getting up at 530 am and crapping himself, haha.
My bf and I were discussing the sleep deprivation and we were like "well, life is short. At least I hope it is". :p

peko

TRIBE Member
Joe Fresh has undershirts, so does Carter's. I need to buy some for Elliot soon, along with winter boots (gah!)

In other news, my mom survived three nights with the kids! Thomas woke up 3x the first night, but only once on the other two nights and went back down wig a bottle quite nicely, yay!

The first trip away is the hardest, now I'll feel more comfortable doing it again in the future. And not that I'm quite ready to stop nursing just yet, but I am looking forward to not havIng to deal with pumping next time!
Good to hear you had a good honeymoon! How does it feel to be a newlywed? ;)

Great undershirt tips ladies. I stocked up on Old Navy short sleeved onesies for Oksana's undershirts, but need to move into the undershirt/ tank top stage very soon.

I love this cruiser stage! Oksana follows me around the house and plays near me, where ever I am. She's like my little swiffer with her rolling around and gymnastic / break dance moves on the hardwood floors. She does these funny little dance moves and fist pumps while she shrieks with delight.... The cats on the other hand, are not to fond of her all house access. :p

peko

TRIBE Member
My bf and I were discussing the sleep deprivation and we were like "well, life is short. At least I hope it is". :p
Oksana is finally sleeping through the night, and I still get up on my own in the middle of the night. We stopped going in to soothe her in the middle of the night and she caught on to self soothing within a couple of nights, thanks to an increased number of wubbanub suckies in her crib.

I feel like my body doesn't know how to sleep for 8 solid hours in a row anymore. I just remind myself that everything is a phase and it won't last forever.

It amazes me how much you learn ( about your own strengths/ coping abilities and living through infant development) in the first year of your baby's life. My current challenge is dealing with the jumping monkey in her bed - she is relentless. :D

geminigirl

TRIBE Member
Oksana is finally sleeping through the night, and I still get up on my own in the middle of the night. We stopped going in to soothe her in the middle of the night and she caught on to self soothing within a couple of nights, thanks to an increased number of wubbanub suckies in her crib.

I feel like my body doesn't know how to sleep for 8 solid hours in a row anymore. I just remind myself that everything is a phase and it won't last forever.

It amazes me how much you learn ( about your own strengths/ coping abilities and living through infant development) in the first year of your baby's life. My current challenge is dealing with the jumping monkey in her bed - she is relentless. :D

That is amazing Peko!!!!! Good for you!:D

How old is she now? How many did you put in her crib? How many hours in a row does she do? Presley does 7-9...but as mentioned that's with a few soothers being put in. Thankfully my bed is right her crib. So, no travelling across the hallway. Perhaps when she is closer to 9-10 months?, I can try putting a crap load of soothers in her crib.

And soooo true about not being used to having uninterrupted sleep. I am used to putting in a few soothers a night. And Presley still has one feed around 4-5am.

rubytuesday

TRIBE Member

My bf and I split the nights with L now and when it's my turn to "sleep through the night" I often wake up to pee or am just awake at least once a night. I'm sure if Oksana sleeps through consistently it'll come back for you though. Sleeping through the night isn't how people used to sleep anyway, it's a product of manmade light sources that mess up our circadian rhythms, if we didn't have artificial light sources we'd sleep in two 4 hour chunks with some awake time in between.

L is sick this week and hasn't been able to use his pacifiers, and he's doing so well without them I'm wondering if we should just hide them all and see if he complains once he can breathe better again. I have nothing against them but I wouldn't mind seeing if doing without them helps him put himself back to sleep at night once he's over this cold. On the other hand I think they are great comfort devices am like having them available so I'm not sure I want to take that away.

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

Metal Morphosis

TRIBE Member
Good to hear you had a good honeymoon! How does it feel to be a newlywed? ;)
feels pretty much the same as before - i guess having kids beforehand sorta takes the fun out of all the activities that typically come with being a newlywed lol.

i too wake up in the night even when there's no real reason to.
it happened on our honeymoon twice, one night i was able to sleep through.
thomas is definitely sleeping for longer periods now - from about 7 - 4 or 5 with a quick feed and back to bed until 7.

Neither of my kids would take a pacifier. Elliot never really got attached to anything, but Thomas really loves his muslin to snuggle with. Maybe that's why he's generally a better sleeper than Elliot ever was - both with going to sleep AND staying asleep.

i can't believe Thomas will be one next week - soon he'll be a toddler :(

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories