• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The Mom Thread

geminigirl

TRIBE Member
I think by 14 days overdue, I would have killed someone to get my baby out of me!! I loved loved loved being pregnant and had a very straighforward easy pregancy, but I was ready to be done at the end. And Brooklyn was born 10 days early! I think I would have lost my mind if she had been late, and 14 days at that! I'm against induction when it doesn't make sense, but probably would be begging for it being that overdue lol!!

:)sarah
Ditto...

Loooved every second of pregnancy.
I was so pleased that she came a week early and didn't have to think about induction. But would have done it by 41 weeks.

geminigirl

TRIBE Member
Onto a new topic.....

The new fall swim schedules started yesterday in newmarket. We are going swimming at 5pm. Haven't gone swimming since early August. We went tons this summer. Can't wait!

What stuff do you like to do with your babies/toddlers on the regular?? Would love some more ideas.:)

mcbee

TRIBE Member
When I was on mat leave, we did tons - music classes, swimming, mom/baby yoga, baby signing class, playdates/moms groups (can you tell i had anxiety and didn't like being home alone all day with a baby?!! lol)

Now that I'm working and she's in daycare, its been all about the playground/splash pads/wading pools this summer.

For fall, we are taking swimming lessons starting in November. Kevin and Brooklyn have a standing date on saturday mornings to go to the drop in. We will also probably go apple picking, visit a pumpkin patch and maybe Riverdale farm at some point. With only weekends to do stuff, combine that with a 2-3 hour nap each day, plus grocery shopping and family get togethers etc...it doesn't leave us a ton of time for activities!

Last edited:
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

geminigirl

TRIBE Member
When I was on mat leave, we did tons - music classes, swimming, mom/baby yoga, baby signing class, playdates/moms groups (can you tell i had anxiety and didn't like being home alone all day with a baby?!! lol)

Now that I'm working and she's in daycare, its been all about the playground/splash pads/wading pools this summer.

For fall, we are taking swimming lessons starting in November. Kevin and Brooklyn have a standing date on saturday mornings to go to the drop in. We will also probably go apple picking, visit a pumpkin patch and maybe Riverdale farm at some point. With only weekends to do stuff, combine that with a 2-3 hour nap each day, plus grocery shopping and family get togethers etc...it doesn't leave us a ton of time for activities!

Lots of great ideas - thanks! Very helpful.

:)

penelope

TRIBE Member
And what exactly are you basing your statement that vaginal exams are useless on?
Have you ever done a vaginal exam?

There is actually a lot of information to be had that both OB's and midwives find quite useful.

grumblegirl

TRIBE Member
I went into labour with a healthy trepidation and excitement - I figured it'd be a 24 hour sort of thing and had all sorts of plans for what I'd do at every part of labour.

I had a baby in my arms 5 hours after my 1st contraction. Which, unsurprisingly to anyone who has gone through labour, fucking hurt. A goddamned lot. And I'd prepared hypnobirthing techniques, and mindfulness techniques, and was, according to my doula, coach, and midwives, a GREAT labourer in terms of pain management and vocalizations. It still fucking hurt. A lot. And I didn't even have back labour. Or anything even remotely difficult or problematic going on.

There wasn't enough time to get an epidural (and, despite my hopes not to have one - by hour 4 I really WANTED one - I can't even imagine how desperate I'd have been if I'd had a long labour, or back labour), and it was incredibly shocking to go through the entire process so very very quickly.

The point is: NO ONE can predict how their first labour is going to go. Good or bad, or anywhere in between. You can hope, and you can make your desires known for possible eventualities, but it's a goddamned crapshoot as to whether or not it'll go anything like you expect. Mine was NOTHING like I expected, regardless of the fact that it went weirdly smoothly, and there were no problems.

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

rubytuesday

TRIBE Member
Onto a new topic.....

The new fall swim schedules started yesterday in newmarket. We are going swimming at 5pm. Haven't gone swimming since early August. We went tons this summer. Can't wait!

What stuff do you like to do with your babies/toddlers on the regular?? Would love some more ideas.:)
We don't do that much, but L has enjoyed swimming, and now loves the park/playground. There is a program called "Music Together" that is offered close to us so I'd like to sign up for that in the winter, I think swimming, park, and music are the tops for most babies/toddlers. I'd have liked to do a baby sign language class too if I had been home in the first year but L has a lot of words so I haven't regretted not taking one too much. The other big one is books for babies at libraries, I've never made it because it always seems to conflict with naps but I'm going to try now that we're really close to a library and now that L is older and more interested in books. We go to the mall on rainy weekends too, before I had a baby I didn't get why there are always so many families at malls on weekends but now I totally get it.

Really in the first year on my days home with L I would make a date with a mom friend, we would go to a swim class and then hope our kids passed out after so we could relax and talk either at home or out walking, and it was more for me than him, but I wasn't home full-time so my time was pretty limited. L also didn't seem to want to be out so much when he was under 12 months so I didn't try to fill our days together with too much more than a walk or a swim class.

I find things so much easier now, L is happy if we're out all the time so I've invested in outdoor gear for both of us so we can go out in any weather and get some fresh air, I take him to the playground before I leave for school and if he's not too tired in the evening we go then too. He's loved the playground as soon as he could walk and he loves seeing other kids playing, and working on skills like stair climbing while we're there (because at home there is very little stair climbing!). We put a sandbox in our back deck area and a mini slide and that keeps him fairly happy when we're not out, our place isn't big enough for a backyard climber but if it was I'd get one.

Oh and as L gets older I just try to include him in my daily activities, like dishes, laundry, cooking, he loves to see what's going on. I got a step stool from ikea and he stands on that beside me while I work in the kitchen. I'd like to get him a mini dust-pan, he will "clean" the floor with a sponge, he has a play stove he likes to put things in, just simple things. :)

geminigirl

TRIBE Member
I find things so much easier now, L is happy if we're out all the time so I've invested in outdoor gear for both of us so we can go out in any weather and get some fresh air, I take him to the playground before I leave for school and if he's not too tired in the evening we go then too. He's loved the playground as soon as he could walk and he loves seeing other kids playing, and working on skills like stair climbing while we're there (because at home there is very little stair climbing!). We put a sandbox in our back deck area and a mini slide and that keeps him fairly happy when we're not out, our place isn't big enough for a backyard climber but if it was I'd get one.

Oh and as L gets older I just try to include him in my daily activities, like dishes, laundry, cooking, he loves to see what's going on. I got a step stool from ikea and he stands on that beside me while I work in the kitchen. I'd like to get him a mini dust-pan, he will "clean" the floor with a sponge, he has a play stove he likes to put things in, just simple things. :)

EVERY single photo of L on your facebook is outdoors. Lucky boy!!!
And I love that you include him in the daily activities/chores. :)

All summer we went to the public outdoor pool. The temp was about 77/78. Kinda brrr!
Well, yesterday we reaaally enjoyed the indoor pool. The temp is 88!!! Loooove it. I'm hooked.

girlnextdoor

TRIBE Member
And what exactly are you basing your statement that vaginal exams are useless on?
Have you ever done a vaginal exam?

There is actually a lot of information to be had that both OB's and midwives find quite useful.
agreed! i try to minimize VEs but they give me a lot of useful information. penelope - are you a nurse at mt. sinai? i'm now doing deliveries there. maybe we have met?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

penelope

TRIBE Member
@girlnextdoor - yes, I am an RN at Sinai. So it's possible we have met. I'm usually team leading on the weekends, on nights. Although, I've been off on bereavement leave for the past few weeks. You must be working with the collective?

girlnextdoor

TRIBE Member
@girlnextdoor - yes, I am an RN at Sinai. So it's possible we have met. I'm usually team leading on the weekends, on nights. Although, I've been off on bereavement leave for the past few weeks. You must be working with the collective?
yup! i have a bunch of planned hospital births coming up so i'm sure we'll cross paths if we haven't already.

geminigirl

TRIBE Member
I know it's a month away, but already nervous about the time change.

Presley sleeps from 7 or 8pm to about 7:15am. It seems like no matter what time she goes down, she is up between 7am and 7:25am.

I am hoping that I can shift things in the week prior to avoid 6am morning time. Crossing fingers!

Mommies with older ones...how did you find the fall time change??

And curious to know what time all your little ones get up at in the morning.

mariazmess

TRIBE Member
Mine has been getting up later (7:30am).
But he goes to bed pretty late (9pm).

I have trouble getting him to bed earlier... not sure I'm too eager for the time change. Just means he'll be crankier by the time I put him to bed. :\

mcbee

TRIBE Member
Brooklyn goes to bed at 7 and is up between 6-7. 7 is when we are really lucky though. Recently its been much closer to 6 on most days, and 5:30 on bad days...like today and yesterday. If she does a 5:30 wake up, we can usually get another 1/2 hour out of her by sitting with her sleeping on your chest in the glider or bringing her to bed with one of us in the guest room (if you bring her into our bed, she thinks its total play time and she's up for good)

rubytuesday

TRIBE Member
L's wakeup time is between 6 and 7, but like mcbee 7 is a really lucky thing (well actually for us it's almost always unlucky because it means he was up for a sleep cycle somewhere in the night due to teething or over-tiredness or too long naps). He seems to prefer 6 and we push him to 6:30. I feel like with the time changes even if we temporarily get him on to a new schedule he ends up back to his original time (so 6 a.m. now will become 6 a.m. anyway although it might be 5 for a few days). I have a friend whose baby consistently prefers 5-5:30 so I just try to be thankful L gives us an extra hour usually.

L's sleep was so messed up from having a late afternoon nap so we again tried to push him to one nap this weekend, and it was fairly successful, he made it to 11:45 without too much crankiness and went down for his nap easily, and no night terrors from over-tiredness so far at night, and he's pretty happy after his nap until bedtime. But I think he is still adjusting to the switch because his one nap is not more than an hour and a half and I think he'd do better if it were 2 hours, and I still think he could go to bed a bit earlier but going from a 9-9:30 bedtime to 7-7:30 is a pretty big switch so I'm assuming it will take some adjusting. I hope he is ready to switch though because it's so great to have some time to ourselves after he goes down, it makes such a difference in how each day goes and I felt like he was happier too.