• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The Mom Thread

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
There is a huge waiting list for midwives though, so you may end up going to whoever can take you. You want to call your preferred clinic the day you find out you are pregnant. I haven't heard horror stories from any midwives clinic. I think no matter where you go, you will be well taken care of.

<--- big midwife fan

jocelyn dee

TRIBE Promoter
Riverdale is another great practice to consider if you live in their catchment area. They are HUGE supporters of home birth and are incredibly comfortable with it. I went with them for my son but I'm also a huge fan of East York Don Mills : ) The Midwives Collective in the west end (Dupont/Spadina) is also fantastic.

I can't believe I have one more month to go and then I'll be a midwife myself! I'm not sure yet which practice I'll end up working at - just starting to figure that part out!
I used Riverdale midwives for both of my kids and was happy with the care I received. I delivered at the hospital both times (St. Mike's)

mariazmess

TRIBE Member
I just want to second what Ravaged Skulls said about maybe just going with whoever takes you. I knew someone and got in under the radar, but for a first birth, you may not get in to your preferred clinic because there's just too many people on the waiting list.

mcbee

TRIBE Member
I peed on a stick on labour day monday and called East York Clinic the next morning at 8:30am. The receptionist at the clinic was the second person (other than Kevin!) to find out I was pregnant.

:)sarah

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

penelope

TRIBE Member
I didn't get to go to a midwife. :(
But I'm a huge fan of the midwives at the midwives collective. They are extremely knowlegable, professional and wonderful people.

vox

TRIBE Member
most midwife clinics take clients in their catchment area - you don't get to pick and choose, ESPECIALLY if you're planning a home birth, as they have to be within the area to make sure they get to your birth on time!

geminigirl

TRIBE Member
Baby Presley - 2 weeks old - owl hat | Facebook

Thanks for all the congrats!!!:)

A few updates..

We are doing great...tired but great!

Breast feeding is going amazing. I love it! I do small formula/breast milk top ups for some feeds. Her bottle amounts are so teeny, just like her! Also, so thrilled that I bought a good pump.

I can't wait to head out for our first walk hopefully this week. I bought a beco carrier that I can't wait to try out on a walk.

My cousin who I grew up with also just had a baby girl. Sooo great to have someone to hang with! We sit around eat snacks and breast feed together.ha! She has been over tons since Presley was born. She brings her dog to hang with mine. Soon we will bring the doggies/babies for big hikes.

On the sleep front..she is feeding every 2-4 hours. Some nights are better than others. But NO complaints. I definitely have some zombie days..and some days that I have naps that I crash and drool all over my pillow. But the great thing is that I cans sleep when she does when need be. Life is good! :)

Quick birth scoop - epidurals are my friend! After the epi, birthing was amazing!

peko

TRIBE Member
Geminigirl is a yummy mummy. :D so glad you're enjoying life with your new BFF.

Mariamezz, Mateo sounds adorable! Little OC is trying to work us with her crying too but not to that level (yet). It's amazing to watch babies realize that they can get a reaction out of people with their smiles, cries and trex screams.

OC is waking up in crawling position and up against the bars of her crib. This is in crying fits at night or jibba jabba and laughing during the day. Plus, she is steaming rolling around now too (especially in her crib).

Question: who has bumper pads?

I know they're not recommended from our prenatal class, but I don't like her bumping her head on the wooden rails of her crib.

What do you do to try to prevent this from happening?

Little OC is also sleeping on her side or tummy now too - we place her on her back but she rolls herself over into side or tummy position. :confused: :eek:

mcbee

TRIBE Member
Brooklyn sleeps on her tummy too. We put her down on her back but 99% of the time, she's on her tummy when you go to get her up. And sometimes all turned around in the crib. Its cute.

We have no bumpers in her crib. No blankets, pillows or stuffed animals either. I'm going to introduce a lovey soon, but that's it.

:)sarah

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

peko

TRIBE Member
Cool stuff mamas! Ok, I won't worry about the sleeping on her tummy thing.

Last night the sleep sack meant serious sleep business because she doesn't steam roll all over her crib. 8pm Sleep sack > 11pm Suckie rescue > 5:30am feeding = Good times! :)

skyparty

TRIBE Member
Question: who has bumper pads?

I know they're not recommended from our prenatal class, but I don't like her bumping her head on the wooden rails of her crib.

What do you do to try to prevent this from happening?
:eek:
Against the rule of no bumpers, I use the soft cushiony ones that come with the bedding sets. I have the front side open to allow air flow. I fully plan on converting from nice matchymatch pretty bumper, to the breathable bumpers they sell once Q is rolling over. He's only 6 weeks right now, so I have a bit. The sleep sack has stopped him from squirming sideways in his sleep, which makes me feel more comfortable. Our house is old, and our floors aren't level, so I'm sure that helps his squirming a long...lol

Here's the website for the breathable bumpers, and I believe you can get them at Toys R Us.

Breathablebaby: Safer Baby Bedding Products and Innovations

jocelyn dee

TRIBE Promoter
We have no bumpers in her crib. No blankets, pillows or stuffed animals either. I'm going to introduce a lovey soon, but that's it.
That's how we were with Pierce for the first year. Now he's in a toddler bed and can grab whatever toys he wants to sleep with from his room.

geminigirl

TRIBE Member
My little p did a 6 hour stretch last night. She power nursed plus top ups yesterday evening..and then went from 9pm-3am. I slept almost 5 hours in a row. What a treat!!!

mariazmess

TRIBE Member
a good read about parenting:
Why French Parents Are Superior by Pamela Druckerman - WSJ.com
THANK YOU. I totally needed to read this today. I feel like Matteo is beginning to run our household and I HATE it. He never seems to be able to amuse himself and whenever I catch him doing just that, I feel like I need to interact with him. WTF! I need to check myself and establish who's boss.

I feel like I'm a bad mom because I don't want to play with blocks and watch Passe-Partout 80x a day. I'm not - he should be able to just hang out and do his own thing while I get shit done and do what I want to do.

so ya, THANKS! I just have to stay focussed and establish myself.

Jennika

TRIBE Member
that is a fantastic article. a girl friend sent it to me a few weeks ago and in her house too her daughter ruled the roost. she's started implementing the 'french' philosophy and seen amazing results.

kennyboy

TRIBE Member
I apologize in advance, however as a dad I like to see what the mom's are up to and get some tips and advice on how to manage the little one.

I would argue that this is not specific to "French" parents but rather it's more a cultural thing.

My wife and her family are of Eastern Europe background and I see a distinct difference in how my daughter and all young ones are when we are all together vs in the mom and dad setting.

When the family gets together, which is what the article is getting at, it is a more social setting and the kids are left to fend and entertain themselves. Which they do quite nicely. When we are at home it's a slightly different.

There is a cultural difference.

I say this only to point out that I don't think there is a magic recipe and one article does not, nor should not dictate how you raise your children.

And to all the mom's, patience truly is a virtue.

rubytuesday

TRIBE Member
The author lists some parenting advice that is obviously good, like firm boundaries, encouraging independent play, and giving yourself some freedom, but I don't buy that French parents are universally superior to Americans.

We want to encourage L to occupy himself, so if he is playing happily without us, we try not to interrupt him (even though we want to be all "heyyy buddy what's going on?". I know if he sees me he'll want me to pick him up, so if I'm busy and he's keeping himself occupied I'll 'hide' from him while I get stuff done. We try to encourage him to keep playing at the same thing for as long as possible (to develop his attention span/focus) instead of throwing a ton of different things in his face at once. And he knows the word "NO" already and he does pause when he hears it, although I'm sure once he's a toddler we'll have to fight all over again haha. I'm sure we do a million things 'wrong' though!