• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The Mom Thread

DataLadybug

TRIBE Member
papa and i just got home from a little trip to the bahamas today. i checked my voicemail when we were exiting the airport to find a message from my OB that they still aren't satisfied with the pics of the heart they got from my SECOND 20 week ultrasound.

so they booked me for a fetal cardiogram next week.

i'm a little scared, and frustrated that both my doctors offices can't tell me anything further. all they are telling me is that it's probably because of the baby's position that they can't see exactly what they want to see. i've read what some moms have said on the internet and some said it was just precautionary so i'm trying to remember that it could be absolutely nothing. i have calmed down, but i did freak out a little bit when i got the message.

*anxiety!!!*
Hey Mel... I think that happens a lot. For both my ultrasounds with Colsen I was told by the US tech that they'd likely call me back for more pictures because she didn't think that she got the kind of pictures that would be sufficient for the radiologist.

peko

TRIBE Member
for me - Maya's asked for a batman birthday party, so I thought it'd be good to get her a shirt!
:D Maya sounds like my kind of chick! :D

although, I was a HUGE diehard Superman fan.

Tomorrow is filled with ALL kinds of excitement. Hopefully, my crazy headaches stay away - it's been pretty bad these past few days, but I will survive.

Mingster, hope your next ultrasounds go well.

Mariamess, I am in for April 25th or anytime you pick. :D

peko

TRIBE Member
:( couldn't measure the heart because the peanut is too small. So, we go back in 2weeks. Now goggling like crazy. Boo! :(

Saw the house renovation after and it's looking good. Can't wait to start cleaning up our gardens.

mingster

TRIBE Member
Where are you having the echo done? I went to a conference on fetal echo ultrasound last year at sick kids and it was super good. They are super amazing at their jobs so you should get some answers soon!!! Hope it is all good news!
having it done at north york general.

junior has been kicking up a storm and daddy got to feel him for the first time this weekend. i am taking this as a positive sign that maybe he's just got thick skin or something. ;)

Penny Lane

TRIBE Member
Gage has an inguinal hernia that needs to be operated on.
My rational side says this is a routine surgery and the chances that anything will go wrong are slim.
My hormonal, pregnant, crazy mother side is freaking the fuck out.
whatifwhatifwhatif :(
My poor baby. How do you explain surgery to a 3.5 year old?

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

MissBlu

TRIBE Member
My rational side says this is a routine surgery and the chances that anything will go wrong are slim.
i remember my little brother having this done around the same age... this was 20+ years ago and everything went fine, so i'm sure everything will be fine now :) they must have done a bazillion of them since then!

Cheer Bear

TRIBE Member
Hi Penny, my brother and I were both born with Epigastric hernias and I got my surgery done around the same age as Gage. I didn't understand what was going on and probably the scariest thing was being carried off by the nurse into the surgery room. He'll be alright, the worst for me was being away from Mommy.

Edit: Try to hold it together, my Mom was crying when it was time for me to go into surgery and that scared the shit out of me. hahah

mcbee

TRIBE Member
i had surgery for a double inguinal hernia when i was a baby. Granted, I was 6 months old and don't remember a thing:)
i think its normal that you are worrying! who wouldn't when their baby is having surgery. but as you said, this is a totally routine surgery and he will be in good hands.
:)sarah

skyparty

TRIBE Member
since this is kind of the only living girls thread alive-

has anyone had any kind of breast surgery here to remove any tumours? i was just told today i'm referred to a surgeon in the area, and i'm kind of freaked out.

in other news, we are still trying for baby---- no luck yet. we have the keys to our house, renos are starting this weekend, and all is well otherwise!

jocelyn dee

TRIBE Promoter

has anyone had any kind of breast surgery here to remove any tumours? i was just told today i'm referred to a surgeon in the area, and i'm kind of freaked out.

in other news, we are still trying for baby---- no luck yet. we have the keys to our house, renos are starting this weekend, and all is well otherwise!
My coworker did - she told me she saw a plastic surgeon for the job and it turned out well - no real scarring etc.

Jennika

TRIBE Member
hey,

I have a question about Andy (2 months and a week old). For the past 2 weeks or so she seems to barf once a day. It's way more than spit up, but not sick projectile barf. It's just an open-the-mouth *blach* and her last meal comes out.

She doesn't seem stressed or in pain before hand, in fact she's a remarkably happy baby compared to her brother at this age. it could happen right after a feed or 2 hours later, and it only happens once a day or so. I've heard about reflux but she's not gassy and other than this barf she almost never has spit-up, and I would think if it was reflux it would happen after every meal. She also appears to be gaining weight fine.

She has had a cold with a slight stuffy nose the past two weeks that seems to correlate with when this started, but I can't figure out why this would lead to once a day barfing.

any ideas? could it just be one of those things that will pass? We have a doctor app scheduled for next week and I'll ask about it then but thought someone here might have some insight.

PS- she's breastfed but takes one formula bottle a day on the overnight, but we introduced the formula bottle last week so this barfing had already started.

mingster

TRIBE Member
oh how i look forward to baby barf! : )

i don't really know anything about anything yet, but since everything else seems to be fine, maybe you're right about it being related to her cold. maybe she has some mucous that's trying to clear itself out and her system isn't sophisticated enough yet to keep certain things and reject others.

jellibeen

TRIBE Member
hey,

I have a question about Andy (2 months and a week old). For the past 2 weeks or so she seems to barf once a day. It's way more than spit up, but not sick projectile barf. It's just an open-the-mouth *blach* and her last meal comes out.

She doesn't seem stressed or in pain before hand, in fact she's a remarkably happy baby compared to her brother at this age. it could happen right after a feed or 2 hours later, and it only happens once a day or so. I've heard about reflux but she's not gassy and other than this barf she almost never has spit-up, and I would think if it was reflux it would happen after every meal. She also appears to be gaining weight fine.

She has had a cold with a slight stuffy nose the past two weeks that seems to correlate with when this started, but I can't figure out why this would lead to once a day barfing.

any ideas? could it just be one of those things that will pass? We have a doctor app scheduled for next week and I'll ask about it then but thought someone here might have some insight.

PS- she's breastfed but takes one formula bottle a day on the overnight, but we introduced the formula bottle last week so this barfing had already started.
Both of my boys were barfers, Miles especially. If she is happy and gaining weight fine, all it usually means is that there is more laundry to do. :)

Tins

TRIBE Member

I have had a tumour removed once and several biopsys. They just use local anesthetic for the biopsy- you can still kind of feel what is going on but did not hurt. I think I was put to sleep for the removal of the tumour. I reacted to the anesthetic but everything else was fine. I had all of this done at Princess Margaret, the doctors were great.

LeoGirl

TRIBE Member
Okay. So what the deal with refusing to change diapers? Is this purely a boy thing? Does he like lumpy logs squished into his butt-crack. He stinks to high heaven but I need one of those things they strap babies into for circumcision just ot change his diaper.

Pepe lePew over here.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

mariazmess

TRIBE Member
LG: sometimes I throw Matteo into the bath to change his poop cuz otherwise he gets it all over the change table he wiggles and fights so much.

Other days it's "oo... la la la dadadada i am the calmest happiest baby ever"...

If you have a detachable shower head it's easiest, but you can also use a plastic cup to splash water on his bum and wash him.

Matteo has started screaming rather than crying. It's SO taxing. Especially when he does it at night. He really needs to stop waking up at night. My limit is just about to be reached. I need a full night's sleep.

jocelyn dee

TRIBE Promoter
LG: sometimes I throw Matteo into the bath to change his poop cuz otherwise he gets it all over the change table he wiggles and fights so much.

Other days it's "oo... la la la dadadada i am the calmest happiest baby ever"...

If you have a detachable shower head it's easiest, but you can also use a plastic cup to splash water on his bum and wash him.

Matteo has started screaming rather than crying. It's SO taxing. Especially when he does it at night. He really needs to stop waking up at night. My limit is just about to be reached. I need a full night's sleep.
I feel for you - has he ever slept through the night?

LeoGirl

TRIBE Member
the screaming. Is it inconsolable? We struggled with that through both kids. Still do with Jack sometimes. I have no proof, but I've let off on the theory of night terrors and am going with growing pains.

mariazmess

TRIBE Member
last night i held him tightly in my arms until he stopped, only because i didn't want to nurse him again. that would have stopped it for sure, but a woman can only nurse so many times in the night.

he sleeps with us, so he has probably come to expect more nursing than i should be allowing.

like i said, the screaming is new, so i dunno what it is.

LeoGirl

TRIBE Member
I don't know what it is either, but it doesn't really fit with the typical night terror from what I've read and I remember having growing pains as early at 3 or 4 - it's just a new theory for yet another unanswered question. Who knows.

I looked up night terrors and came across this (though I'm sure there is more if you look back through the thread - I talked a lot about this with Grace)
Why is my toddler suddenly waking up hysterical at night? | BabyCenter

I also looked up growing pains and it seems that the likelihood of Jack waking up being related to that is pretty small, less actually. There's another theory out the window.

LeoGirl

TRIBE Member
...and here's another one for the picky eater handbook. Grace just had a meltdown over a pasta noodle that she wanted me to remove from her bowl... because it was broken.

Metal Morphosis

TRIBE Member
last night i held him tightly in my arms until he stopped, only because i didn't want to nurse him again. that would have stopped it for sure, but a woman can only nurse so many times in the night.

he sleeps with us, so he has probably come to expect more nursing than i should be allowing..
i think i posted a few pages back about elliot's night wakings and how he was nursing a fair bit as well (even after he turned a year). we decided we'd be firm about no more night nursings and only offered him water (he was sleeping with us at the time as well). He put up a bit of a fight at first, but i held steadfast and he eventually stopped waking as much b/c he wasn't all that happy getting water instead of boob. i continued to nurse him a few times a day (i.e. before nap & bedtime) until he was 19 months - i think he was happy to get water boob he could since he never really liked formula or cow's milk.

anyway - he still wakes usually once a night, but there's nothing we can do about it. last night was one of those glorious nights when he slept all the way through in his own bed. it was so amazing to roll over at 5AM to NOT find a kid in between me and SJN. he slept in his bed until 7:10. it was fucking awesome.

mariazmess

TRIBE Member
ya, i guess i just need to buck up and do it. i'm usually too tired to listen to him cry, so i shove a boob in his mouth to shut him up. a vicious cycle, i know.

i've done it before, and then he's gotten really sick so i'd nurse him to help him feel better and get some breast milk into him since he was eating poorly.

also, since i'm not around during the day, i don't have the option to nurse before naps n' such, but I can always nurse before bed and when he wakes up, if he wants. sigh.

I know offering him water works -- I've done it before -- but it's such a hassle.

I guess I have to figure out which is the bigger hassle -- not sleeping, or staying up with him while he freaks out because I won't breastfeed him.

fuck!

and ya MM that DOES sounds fucking awesome!!!!