• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The Mom Thread

r6bikerchick

TRIBE Member
^^^i'm assuming that means the possible ectopic was completely ruled out and you've been given a clean bill of health? if so, yahoo!!

are you offered first trimester screening in newfoundland? if so, and you choose to do it, you will get another ultrasound at 11-13 weeks.

congrats again.

:)sarah

The u/s tech said she couldn't conclusively decide (but that might be because she's the tech, and it's the doctor who is supposed to interpret the images and make the final call). My doctor said the lab report suggested things looked "normal", so I guess that's good enough! I'm not having any symptoms, anyway. The pain I was having subsided, so it was either pscyhosomatic, OR it was an ovarian cyst that ruptured.

A triple-screen is available, but unlikely to be recommended because I have no history of birth defects in my family and no miscarriages under my belt. I don't know if it's "elective" or not. Part of me would like to do it for possible peace of mind, but I realize that I run the risk of getting results that suggest a possible problem, too. And then I could opt to do amnio.

My doctor (GP) seems pretty laidback about the whole thing, but I have an appointment with a gyno tomorrow (a spot opened up on the cancellation list vs. my original appt in July 2011 - so it's not even a pregnancy appointment - I'll have a lot of explaining to do when I get in there but I didn't want to cancel because here's my chance to see someone a bit more specialized!).

I'm still having a hard time even believing I'm really pregnant - my only persistent symptom so far is fatigue! I'm also feeling way too "superstitious" to start thinking about childcare or even the nursery, but it sounds like I'm going to have to get on the ball with the former maybe even sooner than the latter! Good luck, Maria!

For the cloth-diaperers, did any of you have a hard time convincing your partners to go this route? Or was it an easy joint decision? I don't have a clear sense of whether my husband is going to be supportive of cloth, but it's not a conversation we're having until I'm out of the first tri.

mcbee

TRIBE Member
The u/s tech said she couldn't conclusively decide (but that might be because she's the tech, and it's the doctor who is supposed to interpret the images and make the final call). My doctor said the lab report suggested things looked "normal", so I guess that's good enough! I'm not having any symptoms, anyway. The pain I was having subsided, so it was either pscyhosomatic, OR it was an ovarian cyst that ruptured.

A triple-screen is available, but unlikely to be recommended because I have no history of birth defects in my family and no miscarriages under my belt. I don't know if it's "elective" or not. Part of me would like to do it for possible peace of mind, but I realize that I run the risk of getting results that suggest a possible problem, too. And then I could opt to do amnio.

My doctor (GP) seems pretty laidback about the whole thing, but I have an appointment with a gyno tomorrow (a spot opened up on the cancellation list vs. my original appt in July 2011 - so it's not even a pregnancy appointment - I'll have a lot of explaining to do when I get in there but I didn't want to cancel because here's my chance to see someone a bit more specialized!).

I'm still having a hard time even believing I'm really pregnant - my only persistent symptom so far is fatigue! I'm also feeling way too "superstitious" to start thinking about childcare or even the nursery, but it sounds like I'm going to have to get on the ball with the former maybe even sooner than the latter! Good luck, Maria!

For the cloth-diaperers, did any of you have a hard time convincing your partners to go this route? Or was it an easy joint decision? I don't have a clear sense of whether my husband is going to be supportive of cloth, but it's not a conversation we're having until I'm out of the first tri.
well that's all good news then!! how many weeks are you now? lots of symptoms don't start until around week 6-7, so there is a weird period of wanting symptoms to assure yourself everything is progressing as it should, but then when they start i was like 'oh god, what did i wish for?'....with Ryder, my nausea started around week 6 and with wee mcbee it was around week 7. and it was more all day sickness than morning sickness!! and cramping is normal too...i had alot of that around weeks 4-7 and then some at 12 weeks too.

echo

TRIBE Member
I'm not sure what type of maternal serum screening Newfoundland offers with their provincial health care (I actually just searched for a good half hour to see what they offer and I couldn't find anything specific - I can only imagine how frustrating it must be for pregnant moms living in nfld). However BC has a great website that answers a lot of questions about prenatal maternal serum screening. Prenatal Screening in BC I'm not sure if all those options are available in Newfoundland as it changes from province to province, but at least it gives you some background with which you can ask your questions!

One thing to keep in mind is that the maternal serum screening measures your risk for certain chromosomal conditions (down syndrome, trisomy 18 and 13) and neural tube defects that are not usually hereditary in nature (ie they usually occur spontaneously/by chance), and thus may not show up in an individuals family history. The main risk factor for chromosomal errors is actually maternal age (ie as you get older, your risk to have a child with chromosomal error increases).

The maternal serum screen is just a screening tool - thus there is a possibility that an individual will get a positive screen result when there is nothing wrong with the baby. A positive serum screen simply means a woman's risk is increased above a certain threshold and they are now eligible for a diagnostic test such as an amniocentesis. I'm not going to lie - getting a positive serum screen can cause GREAT anxiety for parents. It is a rough week or two when waiting for further information. Especially when the large majority go on to have a healthy, happy baby. But a diagnostic test like amnio can slightly increase one's risk for miscarriage, thus they don't offer it to every pregnant woman. Hence the reason why they usually offer a screening test first.

When trying to decide on the maternal serum screening, it may help to ask oneself "what will I do with a positive serum screen" ? Would I opt for further diagnostic testing? Will I want to know if there is a chromosomal error with the baby? If I get a positive serum screen result, and a diagnostic test confirms that I am carrying a child with a chromosomal error (eg. Down Syndrome) what would I do? Would I stop the pregnancy? Would I keep the pregnancy but do a bunch of research so I am prepared for when the baby arrives? Or would I do nothing? Would it change nothing? If you can answer all these questions, you will probably end up with an answer that you and your partner are comfortable with.

Hopefully that's not too much of a downer - but I know from experience that many doctors just kind of give their patients the blood requisition and don't really explain WHAT the maternal serum screen is, or the ramifications of a positive result. Either that or they give the wrong information - eg you don't have any family history so you aren't at risk of having a child with chromosomal errors etc. Not to put down the doctors of course, they're just really busy, and most of the time the screening results come back negative and they never have to deal with it again.

Aaaaaaaand that's the end of my unsolicited advice for today!! haha

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

vox

TRIBE Member
does anyone have experience with those german weave wraps? i just got a storch wrap and i'm having troubles doing the back carry with the little mister.

anyone have any tips? so far, i'm loving the shiz out of it...the no stretch is AWESOME! but the best thing about it is the tibetan/rucksack carry and i'm having trouble getting the hang of it.

skyparty

TRIBE Member
Just need to ramble.

So I'm anxiously awaiting my period. I have a feeling I'm not pregnant, but we are eagerly trying until my hubby leaves on the 7th. I should have my period today as it's been 31 days. I had light spotting two days ago, and then nothing. I am getting the headaches and major fatigue though! Not sure if it's related to being off my meds or what, but not lovin' it. I just wish my period would come, or not come... the anticipation is killing me.

We are currently house hunting though, so that's exciting :)

mcbee

TRIBE Member
echo, you should be a genetic counsellor or something;) that or a midwife....you said all the things my midwife said to me with Ryder, when presented with the option of maternal screening.

skyparty, welcome to the monthly rollercoaster of TTC! test! my deal with myself was I never tested early but once the day of my expected period was here I would test. then you have a conclusive answer and the 'maybe' game can stop.

r6bikerchick

TRIBE Member
well that's all good news then!! how many weeks are you now?
8.5! One more month to go, and I'll start breathing a little easier...

lots of symptoms don't start until around week 6-7, so there is a weird period of wanting symptoms to assure yourself everything is progressing as it should, but then when they start i was like 'oh god, what did i wish for?'....with Ryder, my nausea started around week 6 and with wee mcbee it was around week 7. and it was more all day sickness than morning sickness!! and cramping is normal too...i had alot of that around weeks 4-7 and then some at 12 weeks too.
I'm trying to count myself as one of the "lucky" ones with few to no early pregnancy symptoms. I HATE being sick, so I'm glad morning/all-day sickness has not reared its head. I do occasionally have cramps and they make me nervous, so I'm feeling reassured by your comments. I'm trying to tell myself that it's just my uterus stretching and growing.

I'm not sure what type of maternal serum screening Newfoundland offers with their provincial health care (I actually just searched for a good half hour to see what they offer and I couldn't find anything specific - I can only imagine how frustrating it must be for pregnant moms living in nfld).
Ha! I think the difference is that many moms here have lived here their whole lives, so they don't know what they're missing! I was saddened to find out that even though the Province has a rich tradition of midwifery (not enough doctors, especially in the small outport communities), there is no regulated or government-funded midwifery association, meaning that I pretty much have to go with an ob-gyn (I could fly a mid-wife in from the Mainland to attend a birth, but I don't have that kind of cash). Oh, and my baby will be delivered by whoever is on-call, whether or not that happens to be the ob-gyn responsible for my prenatal care. Written birth plan will be paramount!!

As for maternal serum screening, the triple-screen in Newfoundland checks for three of the four: AFP, hCG, estriol and inhibin-A (I'm not sure which three) in the second trimester. The rate of false positives is fairly high, at which point I would probably pursue an amniocentesis (the risk of m/c is outweighed by my need to know). Hubby and I just had a conversation about all of the questions you posed above, and we agree that knowledge is power. We're on the same page about future decisions.

I'd like to be able to do integrated screening (first tri u/s and bloodwork, plus the second tri bloodwork described above). We'll see what the doctor/ob-gyn has to say about that. I appreciate your insight about the fact that it doesn't necessarily have to do with family history. Hopefully my age (28) is in my favour.

Hopefully that's not too much of a downer - but I know from experience that many doctors just kind of give their patients the blood requisition and don't really explain WHAT the maternal serum screen is, or the ramifications of a positive result. Either that or they give the wrong information - eg you don't have any family history so you aren't at risk of having a child with chromosomal errors etc. Not to put down the doctors of course, they're just really busy, and most of the time the screening results come back negative and they never have to deal with it again.

Aaaaaaaand that's the end of my unsolicited advice for today!! haha
Echo, your advice is HUGELY appreciated. I think you've given me and other expectant parents here some great information. :) And hopefully the Ontarionians will find yet another reason to be glad they don't live in Newfoundland. Sigh...don't get me wrong, there ARE nice things about living here...

Just need to ramble.

So I'm anxiously awaiting my period. I have a feeling I'm not pregnant, but we are eagerly trying until my hubby leaves on the 7th. I should have my period today as it's been 31 days. I had light spotting two days ago, and then nothing. I am getting the headaches and major fatigue though! Not sure if it's related to being off my meds or what, but not lovin' it. I just wish my period would come, or not come... the anticipation is killing me.

We are currently house hunting though, so that's exciting :)
Um, it's not too early to take a home pregnancy test (HPT), y'know! Just go POAS (pee on a stick - i.e. take the darn test - how's that for some TTC lingo)! Maybe you'll get your BFP (Big Fat Positive pregnancy test result).

Okay, I'll stop now. :eek:

Cheer Bear

TRIBE Member
Since I'm working through til Christmas Eve I probably won't get a chance to pop in...

Merry Christmas Mums & babes, and Mums to be! I hope Santa spoils you all ridiculously this year. Love from Caelyn and I.

Caelyn also sends this out into the interwebs:

A Christmas Message

echo

TRIBE Member
echo, you should be a genetic counsellor or something;) that or a midwife...
haha - you know what's funny is that I've actually contemplated applying to midwifery school; I think I'd LOVE being a midwife! But the thought of doing 4 more years of schooling is a tad bit disheartening! Perhaps I'll look into a doula course first :)

Hubby and I just had a conversation about all of the questions you posed above, and we agree that knowledge is power. We're on the same page about future decisions.
Oh good! I'm glad to hear that you guys are on the same page, and that you found the questions helpful to discuss!

I'd like to be able to do integrated screening (first tri u/s and bloodwork, plus the second tri bloodwork described above). We'll see what the doctor/ob-gyn has to say about that. I appreciate your insight about the fact that it doesn't necessarily have to do with family history. Hopefully my age (28) is in my favour.
If there is a hospital or health care centre that offers the nuchal translucency (NT) u/s in nfld that would be great! If not, you may find it available at a private pay ultrasound clinic. Just be sure that they have the appropriate training (from an accredited source) for that particular technique.

And yes - at the age of 28, your risk is still really low for chromosomal errors so not to worry! Chances are, you'll have the screening done and it will all come back negative, but at least you'll be informed :)

Echo, your advice is HUGELY appreciated. I think you've given me and other expectant parents here some great information. :)
Awww thanks! I'm really glad you found the info helpful!

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
mcbee, my sister in law used a doula.
let me know if you want to get in touch with her about the experience, or if you want the doula's contact info.

r6bikerchick

TRIBE Member
NT u/s screening is only available on a limited basis in Nfld: there are only a few techs with the specialized training, so it is reserved for high-risk mothers. Not available for me.

The nearest private clinic is in Halifax, and it's not worth it for me to have to fly there in mid-January and pay out of pocket (if they even have training for NT).

I'm curious to know if the fact that there is less care/screening available in Nfld has statistically significant impacts on outcomes for mothers and babies (i.e. higher incidence of birth defects, more complications, more medical interventions in L&D, etc.).

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
im not a mom, but i am now an uncle!!
i dont know where to post pics of my baby nephew so i figured here is a good place
Colin Timothy Brinks 30 mins after birth i took this pic

LeoGirl

TRIBE Member
im not a mom, but i am now an uncle!!
i dont know where to post pics of my baby nephew so i figured here is a good place
Colin Timothy Brinks 30 mins after birth i took this pic
congrats. Makes for a very special Christmas present.

also, why did I think you were a chick all this time?

girlnextdoor

TRIBE Member
where did my happy, easy going child go? for the last week i've had screaming tantrums anytime kieran is frustrated by anything! how long does this stage last - i am already starting to lose my mind.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

LeoGirl

TRIBE Member
where did my happy, easy going child go? for the last week i've had screaming tantrums anytime kieran is frustrated by anything! how long does this stage last - i am already starting to lose my mind.
Is it possible he may be coming down with something. If I recall correctly, around this age they start testing the waters. Save your mind for when it really matters, in about a year when the tantrums are about something, like not wanting to wear a hat in -15 degree weather. Right now, it's a test of wills.

what the hell is TTSP. Enough of the acronyms already.