• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

The Mom Thread

LeoGirl

TRIBE Member
The intention: for us Mom's to be able to ask each other questions, get opinions, talk about experiences. There are a few other threads but they each cover different topics, this one is intended to cover them all.

So here is mine...

Grace has a small rash on her arms. I brought it to the doctors attention at our last visit and she brushed it off saying that rashes are quite common but it doesn't seem to be getting any better? My mom thinks it might be a touch of eczema (sp?). I've been using a Calendula lotion on the irritated parts which seems to be helping a little but the rash seems to be spreading? It doesn't seem to bother Grace at all.

Are rashes as common as my doc has made it out to be? I know, babies have sensitive skin, but shouldn't I be able to treat it? If you've experienced some thing similar, what have you used on your babies skin?

jellibeen

TRIBE Member
LeoGirl said:
The intention: for us Mom's to be able to ask each other questions, get opinions, talk about experiences. There are a few other threads but they each cover different topics, this one is intended to cover them all.

So here is mine...

Grace has a small rash on her arms. I brought it to the doctors attention at our last visit and she brushed it off saying that rashes are quite common but it doesn't seem to be getting any better? My mom thinks it might be a touch of eczema (sp?). I've been using a Calendula lotion on the irritated parts which seems to be helping a little but the rash seems to be spreading? It doesn't seem to bother Grace at all.

Are rashes as common as my doc has made it out to be? I know, babies have sensitive skin, but shouldn't I be able to treat it? If you've experienced some thing similar, what have you used on your babies skin?

Are you breastfeeding? My son had an awful rash on his forehead and cheeks for ages when he was smaller, turns out he is sensitive to nuts when I had them in my diet. Rashes are unfortunately very common. Switching to perfume-free baby products and eliminating all nuts in my diet helped us.

LeoGirl

TRIBE Member
I am breastfeeding. She is 3 mths 9 days and I only discovered the rash just over a week ago, a few days before her last doctors appt on the 4th. She has a small rash around her chin but I'm think it is because she's such a puky baby and is constantly wet (we're going through 3 sometimes more bibs in a day) and we're positive she's started teething already. The drool is out of this world. The rash on her arm seems a little chapped and I"m sensitive as to what to use on it. To date I've only been using Baby lotion and this calendula ointment from a homeopathic store.

I'm sure it's not serious since it doesn't seem to bother her, I'm just a little obsessed I guess with her needing to be perfect at all times. If something is out of place I tend to panic a little. :)

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Babies are strange--the more that is "wrong" with them early on, the less is "wrong" later, i.e. rashes early=no rashes later.

kick

TRIBE Member
Baby rashes are super common, and there's not much you can do.
Do you use laundry detergent for sensitive skin? Addy had a rash all over her face (baby acne) and at the time I felt it was so horrible!! It started around 3 months and lasted for over a month. I didn't bother her one bit.

My mommy problem:
Addy bites. For two months or so, when we're cuddling and stuff she gets all nuzzly and sweet and then she bites me. Yesterday she crawled up on my lap and bit my nipple! WTF. She means no harm but I can't seem to stop it. I've tried yelping, ignoring, feigning hurt feelings...My plan is to be consistant with the ignoring, but it's hard! Has anyone else dealt with this?

KiX

TRIBE Member
i wanted to post this for you new moms out there, i'm really impressed with this hip seat.

a couple new mom's i've been treating for back pain have been LOVING these hip seats. it allows you to keep your spine aligned and distributes the weight of the baby over your low back while you carry them on your hip. the postural differences are huge and seems to be a lot comfier for mom and baby.

they got them through insurance coverage, but you can order them online. http://www.babyguru.ca/products/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=31

Last edited:

Jennika

TRIBE Member
I have a question for all you tribe mommies. hope you don't mind a non-mom invading your thread.

the hubby and I are thinking about trying for a baby so I was wondering, for those of you with planned pregnancies, how long did it take to get pregnant and what did you do to prepare your body for it?

undercover_girl

TRIBE Member
Jennika said:
The hubby and I are thinking about trying for a baby so I was wondering, for those of you with planned pregnancies, how long did it take to get pregnant and what did you do to prepare your body for it?
It took us a loooong time (2 years). Why did I spend all that money on birth control all those years? And just when I had finally given up (adoption?)blamo! - we were pregnant. My sister-in-law had similar difficulties her first time round but after getting Vitamin B shots from her naturopath she got pregnant pretty quickly. A lot of people I know have had difficulties the first time around. But I've noticed that if it takes you a long time for the first, you'll get pregnant really quickly with the second. And if it doesn't take you long for the first, it will take a while for your second.

Sooo... I recommend starting right away and not thinking about it/getting stressed about it. Just have awesome sex as much as you can. :)

undercover_girl

TRIBE Member
undercover_girl said:
But I've noticed that if it takes you a long time for the first, you'll get pregnant really quickly with the second. And if it doesn't take you long for the first, it will take a while for your second.
This is a completely unscientific generalization of my experiences. :)

Cheer Bear

TRIBE Member
kick said:
Baby rashes are super common, and there's not much you can do.
Do you use laundry detergent for sensitive skin? Addy had a rash all over her face (baby acne) and at the time I felt it was so horrible!! It started around 3 months and lasted for over a month. I didn't bother her one bit.

My mommy problem:
Addy bites. For two months or so, when we're cuddling and stuff she gets all nuzzly and sweet and then she bites me. Yesterday she crawled up on my lap and bit my nipple! WTF. She means no harm but I can't seem to stop it. I've tried yelping, ignoring, feigning hurt feelings...My plan is to be consistant with the ignoring, but it's hard! Has anyone else dealt with this?
I found between 12-17 months the biting was bad, but it was mostly while breastfeeding and with toddlers it's a whole other ballgame ;)

Caelyn just stopped, I think she thought the boob was her own chewing toy. ;)

Cheer Bear

TRIBE Member
My problem:

Cae is going INSANE with me working now. We had moved her into a toddler bed and were beginning potty training and now with me working she doesn't want to sleep or go potty. She'll get up and climb out of her bed in the middle of the night and climb in with me and clings to me like velcro all day now.

We've tried distracting her while I go out the door to work, sending her over to her friends house to play, everything. She still gets upset. She's alright after awhile but I'm still wondering what I can do to make it easier on her.

LeoGirl

TRIBE Member
How old is Cae now, Stace?

Jennika, my pregnancy was unplanned but it happened VERY quickly. I was late purchasing my BC Pills and was pregnant the following month. Most doctors and mom's will tell you folic acid is very important in the development of baby and is available in pre-natal vitamins (Materna being the most common, but there are many others available) - you may want to top up but I would talk to a doctor before doing so. And just because you are not pregnant yet doesn't mean you can't start taking your pre-natal vitamin now - as a matter of fact, I've been told it's great for women to start taking it before they get pregnant (for those planning ;) )

Cheer Bear

TRIBE Member
LeoGirl said:
How old is Cae now, Stace?

Jennika, my pregnancy was unplanned but it happened VERY quickly. I was late purchasing my BC Pills and was pregnant the following month. Most doctors and mom's will tell you folic acid is very important in the development of baby and is available in pre-natal vitamins (Materna being the most common, but there are many others available) - you may want to top up but I would talk to a doctor before doing so. And just because you are not pregnant yet doesn't mean you can't start taking your pre-natal vitamin now - as a matter of fact, I've been told it's great for women to start taking it before they get pregnant (for those planning ;) )
29 months today! (err wait, yesterday)

Jennika

TRIBE Member
thanks moms for the info. we're still in the 'talking about it' stage but it's interesting to realize that it can happen really quickly or take a long time. it's one of the few things I guess you can't fully plan/organize. Congrats to all you mommies

sugar

TRIBE Member
KiX said:
i wanted to post this for you new moms out there, i'm really impressed with this hip seat.

a couple new mom's i've been treating for back pain have been LOVING these hip seats. it allows you to keep your spine aligned and distributes the weight of the baby over your low back while you carry them on your hip. the postural differences are huge and seems to be a lot comfier for mom and baby.

they got them through insurance coverage, but you can order them online. http://www.babyguru.ca/products/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=31
This is such a fantastic idea! I am not a mom, but I used to do a ton of babysitting from age 13-21, and that is how I fucked up my back and hips. Constantly carrying kids on your hip (and it's so hard to switch to your non-dominant side) is bad news. If I'd had a product like this, I probably wouldn't have had so many back/leg/hip problems.

smokeyeyes

TRIBE Member
Cheer Bear said:
My problem:

Cae is going INSANE with me working now. We had moved her into a toddler bed and were beginning potty training and now with me working she doesn't want to sleep or go potty. She'll get up and climb out of her bed in the middle of the night and climb in with me and clings to me like velcro all day now.

We've tried distracting her while I go out the door to work, sending her over to her friends house to play, everything. She still gets upset. She's alright after awhile but I'm still wondering what I can do to make it easier on her.
Your going to work has disrupted a part of Cae's regular routine, which is why it's coming out at night through sleep disruptions (this is totally normal) and refusing to potty train. Once she's gotten used to the fact that you do come back after work, and you do spend time with her, she'll ease out of it. It's a matter of time.

The only thing that I can think of right now is to talk to her about it. let her know you're going to work well in advance of actually leaving. reassure her that you're coming back. Also, make it part of a routine for her day as well... like, breakfast-mommy works, cae plays--mommy come home we both play or something of the sort (based on whatever time you go to work) and repeat it.
i know it sounds retarded but sometimes verbally reiterating a routine helps reinforce it to them - and children do function well with routines (because it's something they know and expect).

Bottom line is that eventually she'll get over the separation anxiety... but until she does, it won't be easy on either of you :|

BTW... that said...Valentina has certain mornings when she is super clingy and she accompanies me to the elevator... and down to the lobby... and then my nanny has to distract her so that i can leave, but she's not dumb, she knows, and as I hear the second set of elevator doors closing i can hear her crying.
Those days Lucy tells me that she calls out for me a lot during the day, wakes up from her nap looking for me, and she's super clingy to me that evening and when I put her to bed. Like I mentioned in another thread, it's heart wrenching.

smokeyeyes

TRIBE Member
Jennika said:
I have a question for all you tribe mommies. hope you don't mind a non-mom invading your thread.

the hubby and I are thinking about trying for a baby so I was wondering, for those of you with planned pregnancies, how long did it take to get pregnant and what did you do to prepare your body for it?
It took us about 6 weeks for Valentina once we stopped preventing.

To prepare: Folic acid, and a very easy going mindset about conception. ;)
That's why I personally didn't like to use the term 'trying' and preferred 'stopped preventing'. You have no idea how many couples I know who have actively tried - and by this I mean keeping track of when she's ovulating and making sure to have sex during that time frame. Every last one of those couples had a hard time conceiving! And ironically enough, every last one of those couples conceived only after they'd given up hope and stopped trying (most tried for a few years before giving up and after 2-3 months of that mindset change bam! she got pregnant.) yes that is totally anecdotal and by no means scientific!

At any rate, I believe the average time frame is 2 - 12mos.
take folic acid and pregnancy vitamins.
and just go with the flow! no pun intended, har har.

acheron

TRIBE Member
Something to keep in mind about 'stopping preventing' - the hormones in birth control pills are very strong and their effects continue for several weeks after cessation of use. When Christine and I were 'planning' for our second, we had a positive pregnancy test about 1 month in that was followed two weeks later by a miscarriage (at home, lots of cramps, etc - doctor confirmed it later) that occurred, apparently, because the pill hormones were still in her system and dislodged the fertilized egg from her uterine wall.

Long story short, either wait a couple of months after stopping the pill for it to be fully out of your system or accept the possibility of a miscarriage.

Little red-haired girl: "It's a fact! Something like 25% of all women have been pregnant and miscarried without even knowing they were pregnant in the first place."

Nota bene: If this hadn't happened to us, we wouldn't have Chloe (who was conceived about a month after the miscarriage) also, this is most likely the same thing that happened to my bro's wife - they also got pregnant again very quickly (two mos) and are due in April.

smokeyeyes

TRIBE Member
acheron said:
Something to keep in mind about 'stopping preventing' - the hormones in birth control pills are very strong and their effects continue for several weeks after cessation of use. When Christine and I were 'planning' for our second, we had a positive pregnancy test about 1 month in that was followed two weeks later by a miscarriage (at home, lots of cramps, etc - doctor confirmed it later) that occurred, apparently, because the pill hormones were still in her system and dislodged the fertilized egg from her uterine wall.

Long story short, either wait a couple of months after stopping the pill for it to be fully out of your system or accept the possibility of a miscarriage.

Little red-haired girl: "It's a fact! Something like 25% of all women have been pregnant and miscarried without even knowing they were pregnant in the first place."

Nota bene: If this hadn't happened to us, we wouldn't have Chloe (who was conceived about a month after the miscarriage) also, this is most likely the same thing that happened to my bro's wife - they also got pregnant again very quickly (two mos) and are due in April.
good point! Glad you brought it up because the pill does indeed carry those risks.

I should have specified how we were 'preventing' when we 'stopped'. I wasn't on the pill (it's not for me for various reasons, though I had taken it in the past) so there were no hormonal risks involved in stopping :)

KillaLadY

TRIBE Member
acheron said:
When Christine and I were 'planning' for our second, we had a positive pregnancy test about 1 month in that was followed two weeks later by a miscarriage (at home, lots of cramps, etc - doctor confirmed it later) that occurred, apparently, because the pill hormones were still in her system and dislodged the fertilized egg from her uterine wall.
That's EXACTLY what happened to me, although mine had other complications, but initially - that's what started it all.

Needless to say, when I took BCP last year for 7 months, I knew to be EXTRA cautious when I got off them 3 months ago (knowing that if I do get pregnant, I go back to square one).

sk8

TRIBE Member
we waited for two months after stopping the pill on doctor's advice. That was early September. I had been on the pill around 10 years.

I was pregnant next ovulation after that (mid-November).
so the trying was a whole 2 weeks.

and another vote for materna vitamins. You shouldn't need to take additional folic acid with that though it contains enough.

LeoGirl

TRIBE Member
ack.

Grace FIGHTS her sleep soooo bad. Yesterday for example she had an excellent morning nap - slept 9:30-12:00. The rest of the afternoon consisted of two additional naps a 20 min and a 40 min which made for a real doozie of an evening. She went to bed for the night around 9:30.

At what point did you moms just put your little one down with lots of kisses and hugs and let them cry themselves out. There are books out there that say sooner is better and I've had women tell me they started in almost immediately - for me that is too small but Grace is 4 mths next week and she is clearly[/i] tired - she just doesn't want to miss out on... whatever 4 mth old babies find fascinating. MY mom told me the other night that eventually I'm going to have to do it if I'm going to keep my sanity.