• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The MAKEUP Thread

tess

TRIBE Member
ila said:
It wears off a bit so I reapply a few times. When I'm drunk I get retarded and heavy-handed though and I'll see pics of myself pop up the next day on facebook with fire engine red lips...it's not the end of the world but it's always kind of like, "fuck man, why do I always gotta look like a retard when I'm drunk"

I blame the stain.
LOL

it's because you bring full kit out with you while drunk.

you don't look like a retard.

i agree with the stila stain though. i like the benefit one a lot, but it's too easy to spill.

ila

TRIBE Member
tess said:
LOL

it's because you bring full kit out with you while drunk.

you don't look like a retard.

i agree with the stila stain though. i like the benefit one a lot, but it's too easy to spill.
it's a habit from my less wholesome days when I'd leave the house and not return for like, 3 days.

plus, you never know when all your makeup will just randomly unapply itself.

see also, I'm really vain...lol

squirrely

TRIBE Member
ila said:
^^

Stila Cherry Crush Lip Stain. It's not as heavy as the Benefit one and you can carry it around and apply it with zero chance of spillage. It goes on kind of like a gel and tastes like cherry crush! The colour is less obnoxious than Benefit as well.

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml;jsessionid=5DD1ASWXPLOR2CV0KQFRXCQ?id=P202025&categoryId=C8360&shouldPaginate=true
holy crap, dude. i picked this up a few months ago and it's UNWEARABLE on me. turns neon pink.

so sad, cuz it smells lovely!

DEEPHOUSEGRL

TRIBE Member
DEEPHOUSEGRL said:
So apparently, anything that says "ELF" is being discontinued as they're putting the Nordstrom Label on it.

EVERYTHING IS ONE DOLLER!!!!!!

http://www.eyeslipsface.com/
After being held up at Cdn Customs (it took over 2 months!) my order finally arrived today!

I got:
2 Plumping lip glosses ($1 each)
Large Sheer mineral finishing powder ($8)
Light foundation mineral powder ($5)
Custom palette of 4 earth toned eye shadows ($1 each)
Tweezers ($1)
Eye lash curler ($1)
Shine eraser papers ($1)

total: $23 plus shipping/ taxes = $30

Not bad....the products and packaging looks like high-quality, and in full sized containers! The plumping gloss seems to make my lips tingly...but it's too soon to say if I look like I have those Jolie-lips :)

tess

TRIBE Member
is this the standard price of the elf stuff? or is it a promotion that's over soon?
DEEPHOUSEGRL said:
After being held up at Cdn Customs (it took over 2 months!) my order finally arrived today!

I got:
2 Plumping lip glosses ($1 each)
Large Sheer mineral finishing powder ($8)
Light foundation mineral powder ($5)
Custom palette of 4 earth toned eye shadows ($1 each)
Tweezers ($1)
Eye lash curler ($1)
Shine eraser papers ($1)

total: $23 plus shipping/ taxes = $30

Not bad....the products and packaging looks like high-quality, and in full sized containers! The plumping gloss seems to make my lips tingly...but it's too soon to say if I look like I have those Jolie-lips :)

DEEPHOUSEGRL

TRIBE Member
tess said:
is this the standard price of the elf stuff? or is it a promotion that's over soon?
Apparently, they are selling everything for $1 because they are going to replace the "ELF" (means Eyes/ Lips/ Face) with "Nordstroms"

mandapanda

TRIBE Member
ok, so i need to do a 50's eye with liquid liner and the little flick at the end. the question is, what do i use? i currently have the liquidlast liner from MAC which is shit. i hate the wand, it doesn't ever come off (even when i want it to) and i generally find it really difficult to use. i don't feel like re-doing it 10 times before i can leave the house! plus, i have more of a problem cos my eyes go down at the outsides, so i need something idiot proof since this look is really hard to do on me. MAC's fluidline product has been recommended to me, but i dunno. i just need the easiest product that will get the job done and will stay on my eyes. i think i might have to go to a makeup counter, but thought i'd ask here first. any recommendations?

rubytuesday

TRIBE Member
I use a drugstore brand, l'oreal linear intense (in a gold container), very easy to apply compared to inkier methods because it's just like a pen.

And holy cow to $1 makeup, checking it out now. :)

j bunny 2000

TRIBE Member
I need some make-up advice! I am going to a wedding this Sat and I am a more natural lipgloss kind of girl. I want to look more elegant and put together than usual.

My dress is navy blue kinda like this with a similar black sash/belt thingy:

I have very fair skin, blonde hair and blue eyes. Help!! I am completely lacking skills in the make-up department.

ja4marti

TRIBE Member
I went to the Bobbi Brown counter at Holts to get help for my wedding makeup. They did an amazing job. I would recommend going there. I was at yorkdale and was helped by Mathew.

ja4marti

TRIBE Member
ok, so i need to do a 50's eye with liquid liner and the little flick at the end. the question is, what do i use? i currently have the liquidlast liner from MAC which is shit. i hate the wand, it doesn't ever come off (even when i want it to) and i generally find it really difficult to use. i don't feel like re-doing it 10 times before i can leave the house! plus, i have more of a problem cos my eyes go down at the outsides, so i need something idiot proof since this look is really hard to do on me. MAC's fluidline product has been recommended to me, but i dunno. i just need the easiest product that will get the job done and will stay on my eyes. i think i might have to go to a makeup counter, but thought i'd ask here first. any recommendations?
I got Bobbi Browns gel liner for my wedding. I had to practice a bit but I thought it worked well. Came off easy with a make up remover cleanser.

mandapanda

TRIBE Member
well i ended up getting the fluidline stuff from MAC. amazing! super easy to use and control the line.

AND i figured out how to do the flicky thing at the sides. if i would have known the trick years ago, my life would have been made so much easier! in the past, it would take 10 tries. not anymore, my friends. not anymore! :D

ila

TRIBE Member
AND i figured out how to do the flicky thing at the sides. if i would have known the trick years ago, my life would have been made so much easier! in the past, it would take 10 tries. not anymore, my friends. not anymore! :D
what's the trick, amiga? I have zero ability to use liquid eyeliner so I just don't.

anyway, what are you guys using on your eyebrows? I've been using an angled brush with powder and then clear eyebrow gel (I need it...lol) from MAC for ages, but I'd like to try something new and more efficient. I find I waste a lot of time trying to figure out if I've applied too much powder or not.

is anyone using any brow kits that are amazing, or just brow pencils?

m0ff

TRIBE Member
I've been using the Elizabeth Arden dual eyebrow kit for years, and have been very happy with it. The trick is to have the two colours - one light like your hair colour, and the other a bit darker - about 4-6 shades darker than your hair colour, that way if you change hair colour you can adjust the makeup so it works.

KillaLadY

TRIBE Member
So happy with Gee Beauty's own colours... I was a little hesitant, since I have been using "makeup forever" for a while, but I gave them a try and it looks flawless on my skin.

mandapanda

TRIBE Member
what's the trick, amiga? I have zero ability to use liquid eyeliner so I just don't.
i randomly searched in youtube and this was like the first tutorial i watched. the part where she talks about making a straight line out from the eye totally worked for me. i would always try to make a curve which looked redorkulous...or required me to reapply a gazillion times before it looked kinda normal. try it, it works! :)

anyway, what are you guys using on your eyebrows? I've been using an angled brush with powder and then clear eyebrow gel (I need it...lol) from MAC for ages, but I'd like to try something new and more efficient. I find I waste a lot of time trying to figure out if I've applied too much powder or not.

is anyone using any brow kits that are amazing, or just brow pencils?
i use brow set from MAC in "beguile". they have a clear one too, but i like this cos it fills in the brows a bit.

Dirty Girl

TRIBE Member
how do people do this shit? it seriously baffles me. i cant even apply regular makeup ffs. and her products look pretty. in keeping with halloween:

deevah

TRIBE Member
FYI - Prescriptives will no longer be carried worldwide. (meaning, they're closing up shop)

If you need stuff, head over to Holt's quickly. They don't know how many more shipments of stock they're going to get.

lucky1

TRIBE Member
I like the powder/foundation, and I have one eye shadow that I will use more as a smudging eye "liner" since it is dark for me

most bases / foundations make my skin itchy and uncomfotable after a few hours but the mineral foundation I really forget it is there

Tins

TRIBE Member
I think Bare Mineral was the brand I used once before... looked great on the skin but turned up slightly orange in pictures!! I was horrified.