• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The "Made in Canada" thread

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

WestsideWax

TRIBE Promoter
Control issues. I've never seen a board aside from this one where the moderator habitually overrides members' choices of thread titles. It sucks.

Lurch

TRIBE Member
box_glowinthedark.jpg

Used to be made in China but they brought it back to where it was designed! All made in Canada now :)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

praktik

TRIBE Member
Control issues. I've never seen a board aside from this one where the moderator habitually overrides members' choices of thread titles. It sucks.

I'd feel better about him doing that if we could also edit things 5 mins after they got posted.

About time we revisit this rule maybe?

erika

TRIBE Member
Totem speakers
Paderno cookware
Locally grown produce when possible (winter is tougher of course, and I need citrus and tropical fruit)
With clothes it's tougher (and more expensive)

cosmosuave

TRIBE Member
I love my CMFR parka... Took along time to find this coat as one of my requirements was if I am paying big bucks I want Canadian made and not China and did not want to be like the rest of the sheep with a CG Parka... I am now on my second year with this parka and pleased with the quality...

CMFR

499-cmfr_detailbanner-dc8ce4090172dc75.jpg

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I had no idea Paderno cookware was made in Canada!

Here's one: TRIBE. Made in Canada, hosted in Canada.

kuba

TRIBE Member
That would mess with the precious SEO!

Do you own a website?

Do you spend your money hosting it?

Do you spend your time developing it?

Here's my problem - who cares what you think when you're a member of a website. Nobody. Well, maybe only a few. The fact is that I don't get why people complain about what alexd does on his website. I may not agree with it but this isn't a fucking democracy here, ok? You don't vote him in. You chose to post here. If you don't like it, don't post, but complaining about it is a waste of your time.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I always wanted to own a Bryston power amp but never could afford it. When in the pawn shop district I would always keep my eyes peeled for a good quality used one and came close to buying one a couple of times, but the price was never right, or I was too broke on that day to afford it. Some day I'll own one.

I use American power amps at home now by Hafler, and a paired power amp and Subwoofer combo by NHT, which are supposed to be as good sonically, but unfortunately they are not Canadian made...

leigh

TRIBE Promoter
With clothes it's tougher (and more expensive)

Some Canadian womenswear designers still manufacturing in Canada: Valerie Dumaine, Skinny Sweats, Jennifer Glasgow, Birds of North America, Anastasia Lomonova, Dagg & Stacey, Broken Doll, Oyuna, Allison Wonderland, etc....

Another great Canadian company is Love Jules. It's a husband and wife team in Whistler making beautiful leather shoes one pair at a time in their garage.

mitsuko souma

TRIBE Member
do you own a website?

Do you spend your money hosting it?

Do you spend your time developing it?

Here's my problem - who cares what you think when you're a member of a website. Nobody. Well, maybe only a few. The fact is that i don't get why people complain about what alexd does on his website. I may not agree with it but this isn't a fucking democracy here, ok? You don't vote him in. You chose to post here. If you don't like it, don't post, but complaining about it is a waste of your time.

+1

The Truth

TRIBE Member
Studio Lab Speakers

Buying Canadian is becoming increasingly difficult in times where the easy answer is to go off shore and have it made for you, as cheaply as possible. As a medium sized loudspeaker manufacturer, we at StudioLAB could just as easily decided to have our loudspeakers manufactured, packaged up and shipped to us from China.

So why haven’t we oriented ourselves to go down the same path as most of the loudspeaker industry? There are many moral reasons, which we feel by now is plainly (and painfully) obvious to anyone who’s lost a job to cheap labour. Products coming out of those factories can sure look pretty, but where corners can be cut to save a few cents, you can be certain they will be. After all, isn’t it the time spent in ensuring that no corners were cut what differentiates a run of the mill audio product from a true to life music reproducer? Our 37 years of experience in producing hundreds of thousands of loudspeakers certainly points to that conclusion.

Although now in the minority, we are certainly not the only ones who continue to produce quality Canadian made products, you just have to look carefully. If you’re looking to support the local economy by purchasing locally made products, may we suggest that you look past the well known North American brand name, and find out just what country the sticker says it’s made in.

http://studiolab.ca/

kuba

TRIBE Member
bernie federko will make fun of me as he always does but my wife makes all her product here in canada, proudly

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
I was testing out something.

"Thread" is redundant in the title is it not?

Perhaps, but "things made in Canada" didn't really capture the scope of what I was going for. Things made in canada to me sounds like a buzzfeed article.

Thanks for changing it back!

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I wish they had glow in the dark crazy forts when I was a kid. Back then we pretty much only had marbles, but nothing at all was made in China.

octo

TRIBE Member
my first priority when i was looking for a new mountain bike last year was that it had to be canadian. i ended up getting a devinci. however their lower end stuff is not manufactured here. i tried but i would have had to spend well over a grand to get a bike manufactured here.

canada has a ton of world class speaker companies. paradigm had a big manufacturing facility just outside the city 'sauga or pickering i can't remember. not sure how much they've offshored. usually lower end stuff gets made in china.

here's another speaker company. manufactured near huntsville.
Home Theater Systems and Speakers | Axiom Audio