• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The "Made in Canada" thread

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
I like it when my neighbours have jobs and my stuff doesn't come from half way around the world on pallets full of emerald ash borers. I try to buy Canadian whenever I can, and if I can't, I only get what I really need. Second choice USA or Mexico. Fuck China.

Post your favourite Canadian products/companies here.

I'm looking for new winter boots right now. I think I'll probably get Terras as I've always had good luck with them. I think Kamik still makes some in Canada. Anyone got a recommendation for something I never considered? I'm pretty sure Baffin and Sorel are already sellouts.

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
I try to buy locally here, but China's right next door so obviously lots of stuff comes from there.

However, the very best products are made here in Mongolia and available cheaply. Handmade everything. Leather boots, jackets, camel, yak or cashmere socks and blankets. Lots of real fur too.

I'd even offer to sell and ship stuff to Canada if the Mongolian postal system wasn't so dodgy.

I saw Canada Goose jackets for sale here the other day and kind of laughed. The handmade stuff here is probably way more suitable for the weather here, at a portion of the price.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

The Truth

TRIBE Member
There's an article in the current issue of Toronto Life magazine about some of the local manufacturing industries

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

KickIT

TRIBE Member
I'll always buy furniture that's made in Canada. Though it still blows my mind that Canadian wood is exported to China to be made into furniture that's imported back into Canada and sold for less than Canadian furniture.

videotronic

TRIBE Member
I like it when my neighbours have jobs and my stuff doesn't come from half way around the world on pallets full of emerald ash borers. I try to buy Canadian whenever I can, and if I can't, I only get what I really need. Second choice USA or Mexico. Fuck China.

Post your favourite Canadian products/companies here.

I'm looking for new winter boots right now. I think I'll probably get Terras as I've always had good luck with them. I think Kamik still makes some in Canada. Anyone got a recommendation for something I never considered? I'm pretty sure Baffin and Sorel are already sellouts.
I'm curious to know which canadian-made device you're posting from?

peko

TRIBE Member
I think Kamik still makes some in Canada. Anyone got a recommendation for something I never considered? I'm pretty sure Baffin and Sorel are already sellouts.
Kamik is based out of Quebec. Got my toddler some Kamik boots for my at Baby On the Hip. I got them because of the tread, colour/pattern & lack of logo emblazened on them (not because of where they're made).

1) Softmoc Shoes
Canadian company which sells Kamik (but not for men).

2) Roots Canada
Roots Canada makes ALL of their footwear in Toronto (might use Italian leather) and have a great tread on them. Sign up for their newsletter or sale information - you just missed the F&F Event (30% off everything).

3) Guelph Soap

4) Ella's Botanicals
Ella's gone super local - makes all soaps by hand in Toronto, a local company produces her lotions, etc - distributes them herself --> you'd like her stuff & business model.

Good Luck with your 100% Made In Canada mission. A friend of mine tried this for a year with her hubby and it was an impossible task.

What about Fair Trade organizations? Where's your love and $upport to these types of businesses?

Why not support local businesses which sell overseas produced items? That's still supporting your local economy. Manufacturing isn't the only sector Ontario needs to increase employment rates - welcome to the global economy, roll with it.

Last edited:

defazman

TRIBE Member
McGregor Socks?
Not sure about this. I used to go to the McGregor socks factory in Scarborough, and that place hadn't been making socks there in years. All brought from China. There was one lady who worked there and sold socks out of the cash and carry front part of the factory.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
I ended up with Kamik boots. FWIW, not all of the Kamik line is made in Canada, and some of the Baffin line is still made in Canada (not the ones I might have been interested in though)

peko- I do support local business as much as possible! When I do buy imported stuff I TRY to get stuff from countries where it's likely they were treated well. I.e. Germany vs Cambodia.

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
I always try to buy grocery products from Canada, I do the same at the natural health store.
I once ordered a jar of pickles from Grocery Gateway. The "Western Family" pickles were a product of India. While I have no problems with importing black pepper and other things that we can't grow here, importing pickles is just completely and totally absurd.

kuba

TRIBE Member
as a consumer I try my best to get something made in canada and pay a little premium for it if the premium isn't much but the product is as good

i bought a blackberry 90% because i wanted a keyboard and 10% because it's a candian product