• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

the lunch thread.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
i usually bring with me

Sammich generally , lettuce, tomato, cheese, mayo, and either chicken, turkey, or tuna. maybe mustard sometimes.

a salad consisting of romaine lettuce, or garden greens, carrots, celery, apple, onion, cheese, and some dressing in a seperate container.

i also bring an extra apple, and some lunch muffins or banana bread, or whatever baked deliciousness my fiance has conjured up.

i think i have bought my lunch twice in the last 2 months.

i always try and prepare the salad the night before with dinner to have enough left over, and then set it aside.

if there is like stir fry, or curry, or whatever we had for dinner left over to take in place of the afformentioned sammich, i bring that.

mmmmm cant wait for dinner.

[jai]

mingster

TRIBE Member
we have a full kitchen at work and a full-size grocery store nearby, so i'll often buy hearty salad ingredients, which i keep in our fridge at work and will last me for an entire week of salads. sometimes i buy amy's organic soups and heat them up in the kitchen.

we actually had a company bbq on Monday, and today, made chili with the leftovers.

i also often get together with a couple of friends at work and we'll take turns bringing lunch for each other. since it can suck to make a big batch of something if you're not sharing it, and this way, we can each take a break from making ourselves lunch.

sometimes i pick up ready-made lunch at the real canadian superstore (or probably any grocery store?). they make AWESOME naan sandwiches.

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
Spinach
Grape Tomatoes
Red Peppers
Goat Cheese
Spicey Thai Tuna

2 yogurts..

sometimes i add pecans, bean sprouts, cucumbers or zucchini to my salad.. it's whatever is in my fridge.. every day is a salad though. :)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
we bought a turkey, cooked it to perfection and then turned the whole thing into lunch-meat, by freezing it in manageable-sized bags.

the result is the best turkey sandwhiches i've ever had - that lasts several weeks - all costing about the same as 5 days worth of the good turkey at WHOLE FOODS.

we did it for health/taste reasons. the financial savings are a bonus.
I like this idea, but I have no idea how to cook a turkey.

rubytuesday

TRIBE Member
Cooking a turkey can't be that hard, they sell these bags now that you put the turkey in so that it does all of the work for you.

Are you salad eating peeps eating HUGE salads every day? My labmate brings salad occasionally and I can't see it being enough food to get to me dinnertime without gnawing my own arm off.

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
Cooking a turkey can't be that hard, they sell these bags now that you put the turkey in so that it does all of the work for you.

Are you salad eating peeps eating HUGE salads every day? My labmate brings salad occasionally and I can't see it being enough food to get to me dinnertime without gnawing my own arm off.

I eat healthy snacks through out the day. I usually have something around 3pm. If you put some kind of protien in your salad that it helps to fill you up.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Leftovers or something from the freezer.

Pizza freezes nicely for a lunch, as does a roast. Slice it up into lunch sized portions and then just grab one the night before and throw it in the fridge.

rubytuesday

TRIBE Member
I eat healthy snacks through out the day. I usually have something around 3pm. If you put some kind of protien in your salad that it helps to fill you up.
I'm afraid I need more than 12 almonds. :p

I dunno, I prefer to eat salad as a part of dinner. Maybe I will give it a try one day next week though.

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
im turning an old age home into affordable(LOLOLOLOL) housing in barrie, we scored a bbq and are rockin all manner of madness on it

no rotten ronnies or burglar king no mo

sk8

TRIBE Member
im turning an old age home into affordable(LOLOLOLOL) housing in barrie, we scored a bbq and are rockin all manner of madness on it

no rotten ronnies or burglar king no mo
Which one?
All housing here is affordable - LOL. That's why I'm here! I'm assuming what you are making is the subsidized kind?

The key is protein! Throw a whole grilled chicken breast on there, or a hunk of salmon... that's the part that's going to keep you full. Just veggies alone isn't going to cut it.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Today I had leftover bacon from last night's dinner, so I made a sandwich on a nice ciabatta bun with the leftover bacon, cheddar cheese, butter and a fried egg. I'll warm it up in the toaster oven. Orange juice with that to catch up on the carbs.

mingster

TRIBE Member
The key is protein! Throw a whole grilled chicken breast on there, or a hunk of salmon... that's the part that's going to keep you full. Just veggies alone isn't going to cut it.
you got it!

some good protein choices: hardboiled egg, cooked ham, leftover chicken breast, can of tuna, cubed cheddar, crab meat. and some hearty vegetable choices: avocado, hearts of palm, corn, tomatoes, red peppers, sunflower seeds!

sometimes i eat this with baby greens, sometimes arugula, sometimes spinach?

and it's actually a REALLY big lunch.

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

Gfunkdiva

TRIBE Member
I've got the whole lunch/dinner for the week thing down pat:

On Sunday, prepare:
- 2 grilled chicken breasts, 2 grilled salmon
- cut veggies (celery, carrots, cucumbers, peppers, radishes) - put a bit of water in the bottom of a tupperware
- fruit salad (pineapple, berries, melon, grapes - no apples, bananas or pears)
- diced onion, cucumber, peppers, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms in a separate tupperware for salad toppings
- giant tub of hummus

These form the staples for salads and snacks throughout the week.

Then I usually cook at least one casserole (pasta or rice with meat and veg) and some kind of grain salad (cous cous, quinoa, pasta). I usually roast a couple of sweet potatos too for a yummy side dish or snack.

Add in whole fruit (apples, pears) and yogurts and pretty much all of our eating needs are taken care of for the week. I never spend more than 10 minutes each morning assembling the items and we're good to go.

ila

TRIBE Member
^^
how long does that take you to do every sunday?

I just make a sandwich every morning with cold cuts and toss an apple in my bag for a snack and we're off to the races...haha.

starr

TRIBE Member
- cut veggies (celery, carrots, cucumbers, peppers, radishes) - put a bit of water in the bottom of a tupperware
- fruit salad (pineapple, berries, melon, grapes - no apples, bananas or pears)
Are the veggies and the fruit all in separate containers or the same? And are you adding the water because you find that this helps the veggies keep until the end of the week/friday?

I usually roast a couple of sweet potatos too for a yummy side dish or snack.
Sweet potatoes are unbelievably amazing. Do you roast some ahead of time and keep them in the fridge? If so, when you reheat them are they as good, and are you reheating in the microwave or oven?

Sorry for so many questions. I love eating healthy as well, and find that good food that is good for you takes time. I normally don't mind, but as my schedule is getting more hectic I'm losing time all over the place. Which ends up in me eating out more often and while I love Fresh it's not really cheap.

edit: I normally do my prep the day/night before, but sometimes I'm just not in the mood.

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
In contrast with everything here, I am on a hunt for fried chicken for lunch.

I MEAN I MEAN SPINACH SALAD WITH 12 ALMONDS AND 1/18th OF A CUP OF PLAIN YOGURT

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Gfunkdiva

TRIBE Member
I forgot - I also usually make a bit pot of soup (minestrone, potato/leek, lentil are our favourites)

^^
how long does that take you to do every sunday?

Depending on the difficulty of the casserole or soup, never more than 3 hours. I put all the produce out on the counter, chop everything at once, then separate by recipe and have 2-3 things going on the stove at once. Once all the cleaning/chopping is done it's basically just meal assembly. (I use this time to get caught up on my PVR ;))

A good cutting board and a big serious french knife are essential, as is a good supply of differently sized tupperware. :)

Are the veggies and the fruit all in separate containers or the same? And are you adding the water because you find that this helps the veggies keep until the end of the week/friday?

Sweet potatoes are unbelievably amazing. Do you roast some ahead of time and keep them in the fridge? If so, when you reheat them are they as good, and are you reheating in the microwave or oven?
I have 2 wide, flat tupperware containers that stack on top of each other - one for veg, one for fruit, and then a smaller one on top of that for the diced salad toppings. Squeezing lemon juice on the fruit salad stops it from discolouring and keeps it a bit 'brighter' (but avoiding apples/pears/bananas is essential, and grapes tend to keep fruit longer) - and yes, the water in the bottom of the veg container keeps things crisper. A hint - put celery and carrots on the bottom, and cucumber and peppers on top, as they tend to get a bit slimy if left in water.

I roast the potatoes for about 40 minutes in their skin, let them cool and store them in the fridge just like that. I usually either a) peel them, mash them and sautee them in pot with mushrooms, onions etc. as a dinner side dish, or just throw it in the micro at work for an afternoon snack with a bit of salt. They're also super handy to have onhand (cooked) to add to black beans for a yummy vegan burrito filling) - and yes, reheated they are totally just as good. :)

Gfunkdiva

TRIBE Member
recipe please.
hmmm.... basically sautee onion in a large pan with some spices (cumin & coriander is best, maybe chili powder too?), add a can of black beans, add a couple of cooked sweet potatoes (remove skin), stir it around, cook til bubbling (5 min?) and stuff into a wrap. Add salsa, cheese, lettuce tomato and even grill it if you're feeling extra fancy. :p

starr

TRIBE Member
Squeezing lemon juice on the fruit salad stops it from discolouring and keeps it a bit 'brighter' (but avoiding apples/pears/bananas is essential, and grapes tend to keep fruit longer) - and yes, the water in the bottom of the veg container keeps things crisper. A hint - put celery and carrots on the bottom, and cucumber and peppers on top, as they tend to get a bit slimy if left in water.

I roast the potatoes for about 40 minutes in their skin, let them cool and store them in the fridge just like that. I usually either a) peel them, mash them and sautee them in pot with mushrooms, onions etc. as a dinner side dish, or just throw it in the micro at work for an afternoon snack with a bit of salt. They're also super handy to have onhand (cooked) to add to black beans for a yummy vegan burrito filling) - and yes, reheated they are totally just as good. :)
Thanks! I'm definitely going to try that fruit salad. As for the potatoes I just never think of mashing them, don't know why...I should definitely try that. Normally I just make fries out of them with some cayenne pepper and salt over top or just with salt. So that's why I was thinking reheating wouldn't really work.

ila

TRIBE Member
hmmm.... basically sautee onion in a large pan with some spices (cumin & coriander is best, maybe chili powder too?), add a can of black beans, add a couple of cooked sweet potatoes (remove skin), stir it around, cook til bubbling (5 min?) and stuff into a wrap. Add salsa, cheese, lettuce tomato and even grill it if you're feeling extra fancy. :p
sounds deadly!!!

I'm going to make me a black bean and sweet potato burrito this weekend.