• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

the lunch thread.

kuba

TRIBE Member
I'm fucking sick and tired of buying this processed shit.

Please - inspire me. Asides from cold cut sandwiches, what do you tribers make yourself for your lunches at work?

leftovers?

pastas?

salads?

tell me about your lunch today. Today I have nothing but some almonds and a scheduled visit over at Subway fucking Sandwiches.

Lunch!

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
it's usually just leftovers but today I got Booster Juice.

This is a lunch I probably could've made for myself quite easily but alas, here we are.

Rajio

Well-Known TRIBEr
Don't dis the sandwiches. monday sandwich fight will destroy you.

Today, seeing that its not monday, i took it easy: montreal smoked meat sandwich w/ dijon on whole grain artisan bread and some home made potato salad (with bacon obviously!), and some veggies on the side for snacking.

SolChild

TRIBE Promoter
Cook extra dinner and take it to work.
You gotta have the right hardware tho...buy a good glass tupperware dish, makes all the difference!

Im tired of eating out too and the odd time when I do I regret it.

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

lucky1

TRIBE Member
I also could have made this but I was lazy and didn't feel like making my lunch last night.

So I went to Cultures for the salad trio combo. I had asian 'slaw, Tabouli, and a really tasty quinoa salad. Washed down with a vitamin water (yeah I know they are a scam but I like them)

Usually I either bring left over dinner, or some type of salads from home.

Last edited:

Joe Seven

TRIBE Member
The answer lies within

suggestions:

1.pancetta breads (square buns-3 for $1)

2.sliced cheeses-packaged-$4 per package- 6 - 7 slices per

3.sliced meats from the deli- $3 for 10-12 slices

4.add some pesto for the sandwich

5.add some roasted red peppers

6.cut up cucumber (because the tomato will make the bread soggy) and put it in the middle

1+2+3+4+5+6=delicious home made sandwiches

make a cold pasta dish for the side: penne pasta with bocconcini and olives and pesto and oil/vinegar dressing (red wine vin) and feta and roasted red pepper and store it overnight, and voila

sandwich+pasta+10 bing cherries (on sale for $1.99 at loblaws!!!) and voila.

Rajio

Well-Known TRIBEr
Pizza Pops today.
but pretty much everyday I have toasted cheese and cucumber sammichs.
super exciting.
i like cucumber sandwiches but on toast? with like warm cucumbers? .... and cheese? im picturing like a grilled cheese with cucumber. eew.

sk8

TRIBE Member
today steve has:
(this includes snacks)
leftover chicken-tofu stir fry
veggie sticks and dill dip
cut up pineapple
crackers and cheese
dill pickles

yesterday he had:
salad with lettuce, cucumber, mushrooms and a grilled chicken breast, balsamic vinaigrette
veggie sticks and spicy bean dip
dill pickles
cut up grapefruit
pear
crackers and cheese

i can't remember farther back than that. But yeah - if you are sick of sandwiches salads with a protien (chicken breast, salmon, tuna...) are a great option and you can really mix up the varieties so you don't get sick of it.

leftovers are also a big lunch item around here.

rod_g

TRIBE Member
PB & J with the crusts cut off...

Well Brian, this is a very nutritous lunch, all the food groups are represented. Did your mom marry Mr. Rogers?

Uh, no, Mr. Johnson...

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Joe Seven

TRIBE Member
Oh, jake, I just realized you're trying to avoid "sammiches"

Well, how bout making a big-ass curry chicken dish... then bring it to work the next day(s) with brown rice. Always pleases the tastebuds and delivers a good protein/carb combo.

Dirty Girl

TRIBE Member
i like cucumber sandwiches but on toast? with like warm cucumbers? .... and cheese? im picturing like a grilled cheese with cucumber. eew.
im too lazy to melt the cheese, although i would prefer it that way, but I would not heat the cucumbers ew, they would go on last-cold!
cold cucumbers and hard cheese. Im totally stealing the pesto idea tho, that will make sammichs almost like pizza!

praktik

TRIBE Member
I've actually developed a pretty good system this year.

I have like, 4 things that I eat three of every lunch:

- a thing of hummus with pita
- cold cuts
- quaker harvest crunch/yogurt
- liverwurst

So I'll have all this stuff in the fridge pretty much, on a liverwurst sandwhich day I just bring in the bread, make the sandwhich. Finish up with some yogurt topped with harvest crunch.

Today I had some pita and hummus, a bunch of montreal smoked meat just by itself - and the yogurt/crunch after.

Definitely it takes NO time for me to prepare all this stuff I just make sure my area of the common fridge is stocked.

mutslaster

TRIBE Member
primarily i bring leftovers from the previous night's dinner.

otherwise, sandwiches or hearty salads are always pretty fast to assemble in the morning. provided you keep some key ingredients on hand.

yesterday i threw together a really quick nicoise:
threw some undressed greens in a large tupperware, added a boiled egg (we pre-soft boil a bunch and keep them in the fridge for the week), drained a can of tuna and threw that on top, then whipped up a quick batch of dressing (which we also keep in the fridge all week) and put it in a small separate container. threw in some leftover crostini from the night before. then i just throw the dressing on right before eating. i could also, if i had any around, have thrown in leftover grilled veggies or potatoes.

TaCk OnE?

TRIBE Member
I have no trouble finding healthy stuff to buy at lunch.

I often make it as well, but I'm not really clear on why your choices are processed shit, or home made.

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

Colm

TRIBE Member
- a thing of hummus with pita
- cold cuts
- quaker harvest crunch/yogurt
- liverwurst
This is what my wife eats. But then she's from a capital Gee German family, so for her this list represents all necessary food groups.

Meat, milk and bread.

I'm a salad lunch guy now. Chopped romaine with peppers, cukes and celery, no dressing, and some kind of leanish meat on the side. Snacks are always cheese-sticks, nuts or a wonderful thing called Turkey Roll-ups (mayo, red pepper, turkey cold cuts wrapped in a romaine lettuce leaf).

When I'm feeling adventurous, I'll have a Chimichanga from the local Mexicanadian place near my work. It's huge, delicious and filled with beans, cheese and beans. It's basically a deepfried burrito on steriods.

Dirty Girl

TRIBE Member
you could always bring some cereal and milk jake the snake! bring some fruit to throw on it!

or you could eat snickers bars and a can of pepsi for lunch every day like i used to do.

The Watcher

TRIBE Member
I love being 5 minutes away from home, I normally forage through my cupboards and eat any leftovers I leave myself.

Where there's no leftovers I normally eat of the following that are always on hand and staples of my groceries

Mr Noodle
Hot Dogs
Meatballs
Salad (Spring mix or spinach)
Nuts (sunflower or peanuts or almond or cashews)
Tuna
Carrots
Cuccumbers
Broccoli
Peppers
Pizza (or pops) (Sometimes I make pita pizza's)
Granola bars
Cheddar or Mozzarella or Havarti
Crackers

In the end I eat a lot of variety depending what I'm feeling hungry for that day and then head back to work

I hate that my office only has microwaves, I loathe microwaves and it just makes going home and using the stove or toaster a godsend. My last office my buddy and I brought in a mini fridge and a grill and just made our lunches in our workbench area.

Last edited:

kuba

TRIBE Member
Don't dis the sandwiches. monday sandwich fight will destroy you.

Today, seeing that its not monday, i took it easy: montreal smoked meat sandwich w/ dijon on whole grain artisan bread and some home made potato salad (with bacon obviously!), and some veggies on the side for snacking.

Smoked is allright - but cold cuts are full of such crapola that i'm trying to ween off them.

kuba

TRIBE Member
I have no trouble finding healthy stuff to buy at lunch.

I often make it as well, but I'm not really clear on why your choices are processed shit, or home made.
When you work in the boondocks, your options are

mcdonalds
subway
pita pit
manchu wok
teriyaki express

and so forth. Hard to find healthy stuff here except Highland Farms but it gets pricey.

Anyways guys-thanks for the inspiration.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

xtcfreak

TRIBE Member
Wholefoods Market FTW!

My lunches are usually around $12.00, but always a great healthy selection. If I make my own lunch (the cheaper way) I usually bring stirfrys, bbq'd meat , pita's , homemade pasta.

Today I had a Tandoori rollup w/ a side of steamed veggies. :)

Jay

Last edited:

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
we bought a turkey, cooked it to perfection and then turned the whole thing into lunch-meat, by freezing it in manageable-sized bags.

the result is the best turkey sandwhiches i've ever had - that lasts several weeks - all costing about the same as 5 days worth of the good turkey at WHOLE FOODS.

we did it for health/taste reasons. the financial savings are a bonus.

rubytuesday

TRIBE Member
I hate leftovers most of the time but don't get sick of:

- a good veggie/kamut pasta with goat cheese, tomatoes, other veggies
-steel-cut oats with fruit and soy milk
-stir-fry with rice or noodles and whatever else you like (chicken, veggies)
-chickpea curry on rice with lots of cilantro
-snacks: apple, banana, crackers, cheese, fruit bars, nuts
-yogurt

I stock up on snacks at bulk barn so I don't end up at the vending machine at 3pm.

Dirty Girl

TRIBE Member
we bought a turkey, cooked it to perfection and then turned the whole thing into lunch-meat, by freezing it in manageable-sized bags.

the result is the best turkey sandwhiches i've ever had - that lasts several weeks - all costing about the same as 5 days worth of the good turkey at WHOLE FOODS.

we did it for health/taste reasons. the financial savings are a bonus.
dont you fall asleep every day after lunch after eating your turkey sammich?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders