• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The Liberal Leadership Race

2canplay

TRIBE Member
Well, I think the only viable candidate the Lib's have has finally declared: Stephan Dion.

Since the Seperatist Movement became a political force in the 1970's you simply can't win a majority without solid Quebec credentials or better yet, pedigree: Trudeau, Mulroney, Chretian. Anyone without these credentials either gets trounced or clings to power by the fingernail: Turner, Campbell, Harper, etc.

So, Dion should be the man, IMO.

As an aside, the same thing has happened in the States. Following Brown Vs. Topeka in the 1950's and LBJ's Great Society in the 1960's, no US President has come from the North. Following Kennedy its been LBJ, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush I, Clinton and Bush II. Anyone from the Northeast has ZERO chance of getting elected. Dukakis. The idea of Hilary running is laughable, never mind winning (although from Arkansas she is a Senator from NY and doesn't have any accent).

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

praktik

TRIBE Member
I dunno man. I don't think Dion has the charisma to really pick enough steam - I worry if he's their man we'll be assured of a conservative majority. Maybe he'll have some wind in his sails from being the point man on unity - but that can also be a handicap in Quebec lets not forget. I just dont see this guy - image wise - having the "je ne sais quoi" to be an effective leader that reclaims a Liberal majority... So far it seems like slim pickings in the rest of the field to me...

That Gerrard Kennedy is gonna have to get his hand un-superglued from his chin -> if I was his image consultant I woulda been squirming in agony while buddy was groping his chin incessantly during his press conference.

The others? Who are these people? Ignatieff? That one should have had a name change to something like "Max Power" if he wants to be Prime Minister - seriously, that last name is a mouthful and in my mind, represents strikes one through three for his chances at the top seat.

Allright, so my analysis is shallow. But hey, its a shallow world. Deal with it...

That being said, someone like Axworthy stepping up to the plate - a man of undeniable integrity and substance - and I'd be first in line to place my vote for the libs after years of voting abstinence and votes cast for obscure political parties well off the beaten path. So far I don't see any candidates that have the magnetism, the record or the ability to get the liberals back on top if Harper can keep up the relatively problem-free start he's had so far. With Gerard Kennedy, or Dion at the helm, the libs 'd need some kind of Conservative meltdown or f*ck up to really have a shot...

Chris

Well-Known TRIBEr
So many candidates from Ontario, no one really from the West either? Would be interesting if Rae does in fact throw his hat in. After the last election, along with all of the issues the Liberals have to heal - I think it will be sometime before they are able to mount an offensive against the Conservatives for at least an election cycle.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

green_souljah

TRIBE Member
What I am curious about is why a lot of people who could have been possible front runners are treating this like a hot potato.

Belinda Stronach's media address yesterday totally surprised me.

Colm

TRIBE Member
If I'm not mistaken, both Stronach & Brison were recently members of conservative political parties. Give them another 10 years in active Liberal politics before they make a serious leadership bid.

Ignatieff will probably win, but I think he's an awful choice. 30 years outside of Canada? Parachuted into a riding? He also has some seriously questionable beliefs about civil rights, even though he is a self-proclaimed 'left-of-centre' Liberal. He will be an easy target for the NDP, Bloc and Conservatives.

Dion I don't know much about, except that he is a Chretien Liberal.

Dialog

TRIBE Member
Ok, I have a question: I'm not a Harper defender by any stretch of the imagination, but if it's ok to constantly harp on his wooden French, can we have a discusssion about Dion's nearly unintelligible English?

man_slut

TRIBE Member
docta seuss said:

I actually like this guy. He's also Quebec freindly and he's an ex-NDPer which keeps him to the centre left :D

He coluld also be the man to lead an NDP/Liberal coalition (wishful thinking).

Last edited:

man_slut

TRIBE Member
OH! Mr.Rae also represented my freinds Hungarian grandmother in a law suite. Which was big back in the day when many lawyers wouldn't represent imigrants.

atbell

TRIBE Member
Rae might be good ... but won't that strengthen the Conservatives in Ontario. Right leaning types were not so happy about his work in office in Ontario. It might drive the right wing liberals to the Cons as fast as Mike Harris would drive left wing liberals to the NDP.

blahblah

TRIBE Member
Colm said:
I pick David Emerson.

Ahh haha you posted it first! Actually, Dion might present a problem to anglos especially the western ones and rae will pose a big problem for ontarians, a province that must win majority of seats to get in federally.

oh dear..... maybe wasser name lawyer from tarahnta?

in truth, emerson might be the best choice for the people. i just can't think of anyone that can inspire me to want to vote. either i vote for them all (spoiling my ballot) or one over the others, doesn't matter which party, as long as I am confident of a worthwhile vote.

KMB

TRIBE Member
Re:

I like Dion ,because when he was in Chretien's cabinet as well as at the last liberal goverment, he was always fighting for difficult causes. He's a fighter and he's not afraid to defend his news on public forums. He's frequently asked to debate with other parties on tv. Some of you may have noticed that the press likes to ask him for his opinions. He's definitly an intelectual and he's very passionate about what he believes to be good.

His only flaw is the fact that he was a cabinet member in the last couple liberal goverment. Opposition parties we'll like to remind that to the population.

I believe him to be one of the strongest candidate.

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
Sleepy Giant said:
I think Bob Rae would to an excellent job of representing Canada.
i don't disagree, but he would only hurt the Lib's chances.

many Ontarians aren't overly fond of the man, and i'm sure his left-leaning tendencies won't do him much good elsewhere.

blahblah

TRIBE Member
KMB said:
I like Dion ,because when he was in Chretien's cabinet as well as at the last liberal goverment, he was always fighting for difficult causes. He's a fighter and he's not afraid to defend his news on public forums. He's frequently asked to debate with other parties on tv. Some of you may have noticed that the press likes to ask him for his opinions. He's definitly an intelectual and he's very passionate about what he believes to be good.

His only flaw is the fact that he was a cabinet member in the last couple liberal goverment. Opposition parties we'll like to remind that to the population.

I believe him to be one of the strongest candidate.

OK you are doing a good job of convincing me.

As for the last two cabinets..... I am amazed at how short the mass memory is. Most are pissed about the sponsorship but all parties do it.... sway taxpayers' money and/or influence towards their friends. Trudeau, Mulroney, Chretien.... you, me.... we all prefer to help a known as opposed to an unknown. Grow up Canada!!!

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
Rae has done nothing but distinguish himself since his ill-timed tenure as Ontario Premier. Unfortunately, despite his excellent qualifications, he would be an absolute dead man walking for the Liberal presence in Ontario.

Chris

Well-Known TRIBEr
Nova Scotia MP Scott Brison, and Liberal MP Joe Volpe and Carolyn Bennett have added their names as well. How many are we at now?

Colm

TRIBE Member
Spinsah said:
Rae has done nothing but distinguish himself since his ill-timed tenure as Ontario Premier. Unfortunately, despite his excellent qualifications, he would be an absolute dead man walking for the Liberal presence in Ontario.

I agree. He (a) would get massacred in the West, (b) massacred in Ontario, and (c) have a very difficult time convincing anyone in Quebec to vote for him. Sure he's got the CV, but then he has the cement shoes of public antipathy in the East. I still think this race is between Dion and Ignatieff, although I do admit I haven't been paying much attention over the last 2 weeks.