1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

The Leslieville Turkey Vulture

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by coleridge, Jun 11, 2010.

1. coleridge

coleridge TRIBE Member

Welcome to our newest Leslieville resident!

I've seen this guy twice, so I know it's a turkey vulture. I didn't believe it could be a vulture this far north but apparently they do come into Southern Ontario.

First time was last Sunday. He was perched on a fence by the railway bridge on Logan cleaning his feathers. My gf and I stood there watching him for 5 mins. A huge black bird, the size of a small child. He has a bald red turkey head. A few minutes later he was circling overhead.

I saw him again yesterday circling overhead.

He looks like this.

[​IMG]

2. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

cool,

we often see falcons and hawks near our house but never one of those guys

3. AdamAnt

AdamAnt TRIBE Member

I remember A LOT of turkey vultures when I was growing up north of Belleville.

4. solacevip

solacevip TRIBE Promoter

5. SonorouS

SonorouS TRIBE Member

I am pretty sure these are rather common in Ontario, as I see them all the time around the Collingwood area. Ugly as sin up close, but really graceful when soaring on currents.

Fun fact: these things eat mostly carrion (dead shit). Natural gas has an additive to make it smell which is the same stuff that is produced when things decay, so if your place has natural gas and you come home to vultures circling above your home be wary.

6. sk8

sk8 TRIBE Member

These are quite common in southern ontario and in fact their range extends north as well and they are common in regions like southern Georgian Bay. I assume you are in Toronto - in High Park they do a hawk watch during migration - here are their numbers. On average they will see between 100-200 Turkey Vultures per day. Greater Toronto Hawk Watch - Turkey Vulture

Here is their range:
    [​IMG]

What they look like flying:
    [​IMG]

7. cosmosuave

cosmosuave TRIBE Member

They usually come down the Don Valley and circle around... I see them quite often...