• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The Last Pure Phunk Event - Dec. 28th - NV Nightclub

D-Monic

TRIBE Member
Another end of an era is upon us.

Pure Phunk Productions is closing up shop.

The final Pure Phunk event will take place this coming Friday, December 28th at Phat Beat Fridays at NV Nightclub.

For those that are out of the loop, the breaks have moved to the upstairs lounge which has been described as 'a much warmer, comfortable atmosphere' compared to the main floor where we started.

------------------------------

DJ's for the evening will be:

Grooverobber
(ET Bros., Kaleidoscope Records, Vancouver BC)
In an exclusive all breaks set, this West Coast kingpin is hyped up to throw down the funk. Groovy's going back to his roots!

D-Monic (1Groove.com, Eastern Bloc Records)
The man who started it all will be playing his last, energetic set under the Pure Phunk banner.

Uncle Bobby (Parts Unknown...)
Warming things up will be this relative newcomer to the decks.

Along with the downstairs drum & bass floor, featuring some of Toronto's top DJ's.

It's been a good run, and as they say: "all good things must come to an end".

In our 1.5 year history, we've thrown a string of amazing parties that have broadened minds and expanded the scene with a total of 6 one-off events, 3 weeklies, and collaborations with other companies for 4 more events. All in the span of 18 months.

We've introduced Toronto to such internationally acclaimed talent such as Krafty Kuts, Freddy Fresh, Soul of Man, Baby Anne, and Kelly Reverb. We've also helped prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that Toronto's local breaks DJ's are among the best in the world.

Pure Phunk's original goal was to raise the bar in the breaks scene in terms of quality music and quality events. We feel that we've accomplished our goal and now it is time for us to pursue newer, bigger, and better goals.

We'd like to thank all the supporters and party-goers who have come out Pure Phunk events over the past year and a half. With out you, we would not have been able to continue. Thanks also goes to the DJ's, promoters and friends that have helped us put these events together. We couldn't have done it without you.

It's been fun, and we hope to see you all out one last time.

(To Clarify: The Friday nights at NV will continue as Syrous Sessions takes over 100% control of the night)

Phat Beat Fridays & Syrous Sessions

Time: 10:00 p.m. - ????
Cover: $10 before 12:00, $15 after

19+ event

For More Info:
www.purephunk.com
www.easternbloc.com

Angus Robinson

TRIBE Member
Tis a shame indeed... but at least the friday nights at NV will still be going strong. The upstairs is a definite improvement over the downstairs - a little smaller, and definitely a warmer atmosphere altogether. But, they gotta do something about that damn Rane mixer!

Having attended at least 80% of the Pure Phunk events, I can safely say that the bar has indeed been raised. Who can forget the pure phunk 1 year anniversary this summer (best party of the year!), or the iDance after party with Soul of Man?

It is a sad day in Toronto

Good luck with your phuture pursiuts of 'newer, bigger, and better goals'.

-Angus
PS, will Pure Phunk Radio on 1groove.com still be up and runnin?

Gunark

TRIBE Member
Ah very sad indeed.

Pure Phunk has been by far the most consistent and solid breaks promoter in Toronto. It's totally not fair that you've had to deal with so much bullshit and bad luck (the Lovesexxy fiasco, for example).

P.S. The upstairs lounge at NV is very nice. It's a real shame more people didn't check it out. All those of you who complain about how nu school is taking over missed a seriously kick-ass old school set by DJ Love last night.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

[- FuNKtiOn -]

TRIBE Member

booooo..
but Angus posed a good question...
what will become of Pure Phunk Radio?

being a london resident, I didnt make it out to as many events as I would've liked, but still had access to hearing the crew spin.
so?
wuts up now?

mcbee

TRIBE Member
i'm sad

pure phunk did most definately push the breaks scene forward in toronto and for that big thanks goes out!!

from the thursday nites at turbo to the bside to the KILLER parties at system to lovesexy (well, for 2 hours!!
) to NV - i've had a blast!!

thanks guys!
sarah

Gunark

TRIBE Member
Toronto's so damn spoiled. First everyone complains about the lack of a regular prime-time breaks night... so Pure Phunk starts one up. And then nobody goes.

And then DJ Love comes to town, plays an incredibly fat old school set, and all of you supposed old school funk lovers don't show up.

Granted the cover was a bit steep, and there was another breaks event going on in hamilton that night, but whatever. Exams are done, a lot of people are on holidays, and NV should've been ram packed.

Ah well. I had a good time. Got a very fat free t-shirt out of it too.

Gunark

TRIBE Member
Oops I meant to post that in the review thread, not this one.

[Note to self -- stop posting at 5:30 in the morning]

funkNstyle

TRIBE Member
I wanted to go to NV to see Love after my set at fever but nobody would drive me

But i do agree with what u said Gunark..
Alot of people bitch and complain that nobody puts on a solid breaks nite, much less one that will have ol'skool style funky breaks (something Love is known for) to have nobody show up?

Although the breaks room in fever was slammin, I KNOW for a fact that Fever was not ram packed with ALL of the Tdot and surrounding area's breakers.

It seems as though if sumthin is a weekly breaks nite it is taken for granted.

Jonny

D-Monic

TRIBE Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by [- FuNKtiOn -]:
what will become of Pure Phunk Radio?</font>
Fear not, Loyal Listeners! Pure Phunk Radio will continue long into the new year! Unfortunatly due to scheduleing conflicts, there will be no show on Christmas Eve, or New Years Eve, but I will be returning the following week the the long awaited 'Best Of 2001' show! Don't miss it!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mcbee:
from the thursday nites at turbo to the bside to the KILLER parties at system to lovesexy (well, for 2 hours!!
) to NV - i've had a blast!!
</font>
Ahh... mcbee... for the longest time I considered her my kind of good luck charm. She was the gauge as to whether the night was going to be good or not. If she showed up, it was all good. I actually got really mad at her for telling me she wasn't going to one of the nights... it was mostly out of fear. Can't have a party without mcbee! It just couldn't happen. Thanks you mcbee, for all your support.

mcbee

TRIBE Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by D-Monic:
Ahh... mcbee... for the longest time I considered her my kind of good luck charm. She was the gauge as to whether the night was going to be good or not. If she showed up, it was all good. I actually got really mad at her for telling me she wasn't going to one of the nights... it was mostly out of fear. Can't have a party without mcbee! It just couldn't happen. Thanks you mcbee, for all your support.</font>
^^^^well, isn't that so nice!!! thanks dan!! it was my pleasure to support all that you have done for the breaks scene in toronto!!! (and plus, i just like to have fun hence why i showed up at so many events!!)

but even, without me at several purephunks in the summer, the parties went off!!! congrats!!

sarah

TRIBE Member
Well Dan!

As much as it sucks that your leaving, at least we have another excuse to party over the holidays!

Good luck with everything in the future!

D-Monic

TRIBE Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 007:
As much as it sucks that your leaving, at least we have another excuse to party over the holidays!
</font>
Pffft... yeah, like we ever need an excuse to party!

It's gonna get messy on the breaks floor this week!

TRIBE Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DJ Madhatter:
Spinz, nice. I might have to venture down to the basement for a bit

</font>
Angus - The closet junglist

Angus Robinson

TRIBE Member
There's nothing in the closet about my junglism. I've been a junglist since 94. That's why I like my breaks down n' dirty and my basslines raw.

Bo selekta!

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Little1

TRIBE Member
I'm a gonna be in the city...I might be there....Wait a sec, I've got nothing else planned so hell yeah I'll be there.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories