• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The Last Of Us

kuba

TRIBE Member
I downloaded it this weekend and was not impressed at the beginning. Then something happens (won't name what) and the storyline changed and accelerated, and now I'm hooked. Fantastic game. Just truly fantastic. Great dialogue between the characters, the cut scenes aren't boring, the action is engrossing and not to mention fantastic graphics.

Your thoughts on this game if you've played it yet?

coleridge

TRIBE Member
I downloaded it this weekend and was not impressed at the beginning. Then something happens (won't name what) and the storyline changed and accelerated, and now I'm hooked. Fantastic game. Just truly fantastic. Great dialogue between the characters, the cut scenes aren't boring, the action is engrossing and not to mention fantastic graphics.

Your thoughts on this game if you've played it yet?
No idea how far I'm into the story. I just reached Pittsburgh.

The voice acting is phenomenal, a pinnacle moment for video games I think. You can see where the storyline is going from a mile away but it doesn't distract from the genuine interest you have in the characters.

The graphics are exceptional considering the age of the PS3. I know PC graphics could blow it out of the water but it's still really impressive. The level of detail in the game is pretty amazing. There's none of that feel of repeating set pieces that you used to get with older games. Every corner you turn holds something new and different. My only negative opinion is the colour palette. Naughty Dog likes to use a very vibrant over saturated, comic like, colour scheme. It works really well for the Uncharted games but for this I feel like a a slightly more muted palette would serve it better. I see once the game is finished there's the opportunity to unlock different colour schemes, should be interesting.

I can't wait to see what Naughty Dog does with the PS4.

I enjoy the game play. The lack of ammo is a welcome hurdle to game play. I saw one review that said the game would be better with no shooting at all ... I don't think so but I can maybe see their point. I suck at fighting, still having trouble quickly stringing together ideas like "I'll throw a brick in this guys face and shiv him and then take my spiked bat to his buddy" .. I just end up mashing the keys. As such I end up having to replay encounters many many times before I get them.

A point: Are there no melee weapons in this world that are better than scissors taped to a baseball bat or a steel pipe? Are there no fire axes for example left over? Or a machete? Or even a decent meat clever?

Another review I read said that they didn't particularly enjoy playing the game but they wanted to keep playing because it was so engrossing. I kind of feel the same way. I dread every move forward we make. It's very suspenseful.

kuba

TRIBE Member
I have tried to sneak around more than fighting as it saves ammo.

Can you change the difficulty level mid-game?

I also feel the same way that you do - the genuine interest in the characters is almost overwhelming!

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
Nothing to do with anything relevant, but omg the graphics are unreal. The wrinkles on the faces, those tiny little details. Those damn clickers are so hard to kill!

TILT_Lance

TRIBE Member
Just started playing this. Not very far, but so far I like it. The graphics are outstanding and I actually through the intro found myself connected to his daughter and genuinely was a little devastated that she was killed. I play mostly FPS and Sports games so the fact that I got so connected to the characters in this game keeps me wanting to play it.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

kuba

TRIBE Member
Same here. Mostly FPS and sports, exactly like you. I mostly also play online too so to be this involved in a game is not normal for me.

TILT_Lance

TRIBE Member
Apparently online is fairly decent too. And most online who have finished the game are good at keeping mum about what you are about experience till you finish the game

greginhali

TRIBE Member
I just got the game and going to give it a whirl. Someone commented the combat is difficult. I kinda suck with that part, i hope i dont have to button mash to get through levels. What is your experience?
im stoked the graphics are so cool, im ready to dive in.

kuba

TRIBE Member
The combat isn't that difficult, I play on medium level and sure there are levels I have to re-do but overall it's not too frustrating. I'm starting to do more stealth to conserve weaponry though - don't rule that out sometimes.

coleridge

TRIBE Member
I'm pretty far now. In the third and final act I think.

I like to clear entire areas and kill everyone because it gives me the chance to find as many tools and parts as possible. I've become pretty good at throwing the brick to the face of someone and then strangling them.

I upgraded my listening distance two spots as quick as possible that really helped. I find constantly moving during the encounters is good. You can usually isolate guys and take them out one by one.

Again I wanted to mention how great the characters are. The story is getting pretty heavy and emotional now.

kuba

TRIBE Member
Shit!

I didn't use the throw-brick-in-face move yet.

I also haven't found many pendants (or any, maybe one).

greginhali

TRIBE Member
I upgraded my listening distance two spots as quick as possible that really helped. I find constantly moving during the encounters is good. You can usually isolate guys and take them out one by one.
What other upgrades were worth getting? Sometimes upgrading certain skills at the beginning helps.

TILT_Lance

TRIBE Member
How many tool boxes are there so I can up my level so I can modify my weapons better? I've only found two. The collectibles also, I'm gonna have to go through this game again and again I think till I find everything

coleridge

TRIBE Member
I took a glance online to figure out where I am in the game and I'm very very happy to find out although I'm heading into the end there's still a while to go.

I actually stopped playing for the past few days because I was worried I maybe only had one last area left.

As for upgrades, I think healing speed is a good one and max health.

I haven't got shiv master yet but I don't think it's critical. If a clicker grabs me I'm dead and I have to start the encounter over. But it ends up saving me a shiv which I find hard to keep up on when I prefer to use my blades to augment melee weapons or build bombs. I do see though that double upgrade of shiv master results in the shiv not breaking if used to defend against a clicker.

There appears to be at least 5 tool box locations as that's how many tools required I've seen on upgrade trees. I have 3 tools right now. I've been really really diligent in searching for parts. I'm guessing that it's impossible to upgrade all the weapons during the game.

As for weapons upgrades. Upgrade the hunting rifle to scope as soon as possible. Not doing this was a big mistake I made. It turns the gun from useless into really useful. Also upgrade your weapons holsters as soon as possible.

Last edited:

lobo

TRIBE Member
Awesome game so far. Really love the easter egg nod to their other game The Walking Dead.

Lobo

Zorro

TRIBE Member
I started playing Friday. Had some friends over and beer drinking got to where we leave the women. Thinking of starting over and paying more attention to finding things. Was a bit distracted

greginhali

TRIBE Member
i keep getting killed. I must suck at fighting, cause the dam clickers, and my neck is getting chewed off. The gun is only so good at killing then i turn to the lead pipe. I even have the settings on easy.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

kuba

TRIBE Member
Remember they can't see you - you don't have to fight them - you can use bricks to sneak around and try to escape. I'm not good at video games and I managed to get around by distracting them.

I just finished it. Kinda sucks, may want to play on hard level but I loved this game as much for the story as the gameplay and everything else. Wonder if in 2-3 years they will make a sequel.

lobo

TRIBE Member
Man some of the fight scenes are really intense. Got killed lots of times but managed to find a way to beat certain areas. The storyline is really tops. Very good acting and you get an emotional attachment to some of the characters so kudos to Naughty Dog for accomplishing that in a game. I had to take a break after one fight and cutscene cause I just couldn't take it any more...felt drained emotionally and physically.

One thing that I think this game got right is that you can almost relate to being in a similar situation if this was in real life (minus Daredevil's sonar vision :)). One website compared this storyline's to that of The Road; two individuals journeying across the country with humanity at its lowest and trying to survive through it all.

Took tomorrow off from work so maybe I might end up finishing it. I think I'm about 10 hours of gameplay but I've been searching every nook and cranny to find things. BTW, I would highly suggest following a similar route as you not only get to pick up supplies but you can find parts of other people's storylines to see how they've made out.

Lobo

lobo

TRIBE Member
i keep getting killed. I must suck at fighting, cause the dam clickers, and my neck is getting chewed off. The gun is only so good at killing then i turn to the lead pipe. I even have the settings on easy.
Yeah the only thing I can suggest for clickers is to either avoid them/sneak around them or have some shivs ready and sneak up to them and kill them. Hate those fuckers. Granted the infected runners are no better especially when there's a bunch of them.

Lobo

coleridge

TRIBE Member
Molotovs are great weapons for groups of clickers or runners. They all come over to see what's happening and burn themselves up in the process.

I'm at the final chapter. I don't want to finish the game though. :(

greginhali

TRIBE Member
I made it to Pittsburgh last night. I started using molotovs for groups of clickers. Good times. The fight scene to get into the highschool was crazy. I want to start upgrading my guns and stuff. Its been slow so far.
Do you use the bow and arrow? Any good? Im still using hunting riffle and pistol.