• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!
14K Cannabis seed slider pendants by tribe

~*...the language barrier...*~

that 420 guy

TRIBE Member
have you ever dated someone who didn't speak your native tongue?
if english is your first language, have you ever dated someone who didn't really speak english well?

the language of love erases all boundaries, but its still a challenge expressing love (the good and bad parts) when you can't find the right words. expressing our feelings through words is difficult enough when two people speak the same language.

how have you overcome the boundaries of a language barrier and made a relationship work? how can you have a loving, lasting relationship with someone you cannot fully communicate with?

~*...?...*~

that 420 guy

TRIBE Member
D1Willow said:
Good luck, hope it works out!
Must be funnier/more frustrating when 420 comes around!
*lol* the women i've given my heart to speak english, so no language barrier there ;)

but my friend here is from germany and she is experiencing the difficulties of a language barrier with her english speaking partner. she's the inspiration for this thread.

~*...normurai...*~

D1Willow

TRIBE Member
Du sprecken zie deutche?
I know a little (thank you german oac) so I'd be having ALOT of fun with translating!
German- Tell them how much I love it when they say sweet things like that!
My translation- They say they'd like to try anal with you and a goat.

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
I am *kinda* in that situation now.

I say *kinda* because I don't really consider it dating, but he does, and it's difficult to explain, precisely because of the language barrier.

For example, I try to explain that I'm not a jealous type and don't want to hold him back from experiencing life, if he wants to

He hears that I don't like him and wanna 'break up'.

I say it's kinda hard for me to afford that kind of a trip,

He hears I don't wanna see him anymore

Ultimately, I think you can date someone who doesn't speak your language, or you theirs. I think you can have good fun too, and certainly good sex. In fact, sex in foreign languages is almost always universally cool.

I suggest it's possible to love someone with whom you dont share a common language too, though, dangerous.

Where I draw the line at is to never ever consider marrying someone unless you both really are on the level with each other's language and, more importantly, cultural understanding.

Clinical language, like, talking about objective shit like you might encounter at work, like figures, details, drawings, schedules is one thing... But subjective language, like feelings, impressions, desires, and hopes, has about 5% to do with actual words and relies on a wider, deeper cultural understanding that isn't at all addressed by a dictionary. So be careful not to fall into that trap either. *slaps self*

-jM
A&D

Tribe 14K gold cannabis seed slider pendant and chain

Liquidity

TRIBE Member
i once dated someone who was here on a student visa. i figured what the heck, she was pretty and had a good heart. turned out that the language barrier thing meant not being able to talk about things in the detail that i would have liked. i guess if i had been more patient, it would have lasted more than a couple weeks.

Incrimin8

TRIBE Member
A freind of mine met a handsome italian man while visiting Sicily about 4 years ago. He didn't speak a word of english, she didn't speak a word of Itailian, but their attraction for eachother blossomed....and last summer they were married back here in toronto.

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
i know a few people who have dated partners who don't speak the same language. in most cases it was friends of mine who went to asia to teach english and ended up hooking up with someone.
in most cases, i gotta admit, i don't really understand how they managed to communicate at all. seems like you're sorta setting yourself up to fail.

Boo

TRIBE Member
Incrimin8 said:
A freind of mine met a handsome italian man while visiting Sicily about 4 years ago. He didn't speak a word of english, she didn't speak a word of Itailian, but their attraction for eachother blossomed....and last summer they were married back here in toronto.
this is just bizzare to me, as I don't see how it could be more than a physical attraction with a shallow connection.

I mean how deeply can you really connect with someone if you can't verbally communicate with them like you could with someone of the same language.

I dated a German girl, and she had pretty good english, but its not the same. Almost all jokes are lost in translation, forgetting about the rest of the communication.

I just couldn't live a life based on slapstick.

If you think about it objectively, it would have to be really 1 in a million that you connect with someone in a different language better than you would with someone in your own. Not physical attraction of course, as I would be all over tapping some brazillian ass.

lucinda

TRIBE Member
Yes. Dated a Japanese guy. He was really hot and seemed realll nice but we couldn't say boo to eachother. Didn't last more than a week. He was the son of Yuri Ogata, (Japanese film producer). We only got to first base and I ended up getting really drunk and making out with some other guy in front of him....wasn't a very nice girl back then...ooops.

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
HaliBubba said:
having a girl uncontrollably moan out foreign words during sex is about the hottest thing one can hear.
I totally agree.

my buddy wants to fuck an american to hear her say "oh.. YEAEAEAEAY (american short 'a') fuck me!"

I dont know how many times he's told me this.

he otherwise hates americans.

-jM
A&D
On a related note, I helped hiim fuck an american two months ago. She was really fat but, well, that's part of the package. Anyways, she did the "yeaaeaeaeaea" thing and he thanked me profusely. She still has my hat.