• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The Killing of Michael Brown: Missouri Police Shooting of Unarmed Black Teen Sparks Days of Protests

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
WATCH LIVE: I am Mike Brown Live from Ferguson, MO on Livestream

Protesters in St. Louis, Missouri, are demanding justice in a police shooting that killed an unarmed African-American teen. Eighteen-year-old Michael Brown was shot to death in the suburb of Ferguson on Saturday afternoon. Brown was reportedly walking in the middle of the street with his friend when a police officer drove up and ordered them onto the sidewalk. The St. Louis County Police is claiming Brown physically assaulted the officer and tried to reach for his weapon inside a police car. But witnesses have provided a sharply different account, saying Brown was shot with his arms up as he tried to flee the officer’s fire. Brown had recently graduated from high school and was due to begin college courses this week. Protests began immediately after the shooting, with tensions escalating on Sunday when demonstrators were met by riot police with dogs. We speak to Cornell William Brooks, president and CEO of the NAACP, who is in Ferguson meeting with the local community. We are also joined by Antonio French, a community advocate who has been live-tweeting and posting Vine videos of the protests.

http://www.democracynow.org/2014/8/12/the_killing_of_michael_brown_missouri
TRANSCRIPT

This is a rush transcript. Copy may not be in its final form.

AARON MATÉ: We turn now to St. Louis, Missouri, where protesters are demanding justice in a police shooting that killed an unarmed African-American teen. Eighteen-year-old Michael Brown was shot to death in the suburb of Ferguson on Saturday afternoon after he was confronted by police. Witnesses say Brown was walking in the middle of the street with his friend, when a police officer drove up and ordered them onto the sidewalk. Brown’s friend, Dorian Johnson, described what happened.

DORIAN JOHNSON: Me and my friend, we was walking down the street in the middle of the street, and we wasn’t causing any harm to nobody. We had no weapons on us at all. We were just walking, having a conversation. No cars were blowing at us or honking at us like we was holding up traffic or anything like that. And a police officer squad car pulled up. And when he pulled up, these was his exact words: He said, "Get the f— on the sidewalk." And we told the officer we was not but a minute away from our destination, and we would surely be off the street. We was having a conversation. And he went about his way for about one or two seconds, as we continued to walk, and then he reversed his truck, his car, in a manner to where it almost hit us. It blocked both lanes off, the way he turned his car.
So, he pulled up on the side of us. He tried to thrust his door open, but we were so close to it that it ricocheted off us and it bounced back to him. And I guess that, you know, got him a little upset. At that time, he reached out the window. He didn’t get out the car. He just reached his arm out the window, grabbed my friend around his neck and was trying to—as he was trying to choke my friend. And he was trying to get away, and the officer then reached out, and he grabbed his arm to pull him into the car. So now it’s like the officer is pulling him inside the car. He’s trying to pull away. And at no time the officer said that he was going to do anything, until he pulled out his weapon. His weapon was drawn, and he said, "I’ll shoot you," or, "I’m going to shoot." And in the same moment, the first shot went off. And we looked at him. He was shot, and there was blood coming from him. And we took off running.
As we took off running, I ducked and hid for my life, because I was fearing for my life. And I hid by the first car that I saw. My friend, he kept running, and he told me to keep running, because he feared for me, too. So, as he was running, the officer was trying to get out of the car. And once he got out the car, he pursued my friend, but his weapon was drawn. Now, he didn’t see any weapon drawn at him or anything like that, us going for no weapon. His weapon was already drawn when he got out the car. He shot again. And once my friend felt that shot, he turned around, and he put his hands in the air, and he started to get down. But the officer still approached with his weapon drawn, and he fired several more shots. And my friend died. He didn’t say anything to him. He just stood over, and he was shooting. By then, I was so afraid for my life, I just—I got up, and I ran.

Rage Is The Right Response To Cops Executing Citizens
[YOUTUBE]faP97DtFW1Y[/YOUTUBE]

What's going on in Ferguson is fucking insane - the level of abuse that's been going on since the shooting on the behalf of the police is disgusting. I never thought I'd see something that makes the G20 abuses look tame so soon afterwards.

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
2 reporters from the Huff Post were arrested inside a McDonalds, because they ' didn't pack up their bags ' quickly enough for the arresting cops.
and ZERO about it on MSM.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
They still have a long way to go before they arrest 1000 people and put them in cages like our police did at the Toronto G20.

praktik

TRIBE Member
No one died at g20 - I think American inner city blacks have it way worse than the hippies who tried to recreate the battle in Seattle here in Toronto.

US basically has a permanent war on its underclass.

CNN spent some time on the two journos this AM.

derek

TRIBE Member
they're behaving like animals alright and i'm not referring to the protesters.

make you wonder who the real gang of thugs is

praktik

TRIBE Member
Point is - would rather be a well off white Canadian kid being pepper sprayed during a summitt than a black kid in inner city Chicago dealing with what they have to deal with 365 days a year.

I think America is dealing with some shit that shows how bad it really is in some places these days. Toronto is pretty nice place to be.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
they're behaving like animals alright and i'm not referring to the protesters.

make you wonder who the real gang of thugs is
The police learned a lot in the 80's from LA Gang culture, I think the movie Colours was a bit of any eye opener for the police.

What is going on is gross the shooting of Michael Brown is just another example of how out of touch our policing methods/policies are

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
Point is - would rather be a well off white Canadian kid being pepper sprayed during a summitt than a black kid in inner city Chicago dealing with what they have to deal with 365 days a year.
Yeah it's fine to make that point but don't be so flippant about what's happening in Canada in the process.

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
What a fucking ignorant statement.
i disagree. flippant maybe, but not far from the truth. A lot of those people 'just wanted to be a part of a protest' with no background or understanding of why it was happening. They just took the train downtown because they knew some big shit was going to happen - probably thought they could hit hard rock cafe afterwards. At least half of those people should have stayed in the 905, just like every saturday night.

Last edited:

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
i disagree. flippant maybe, but not far from the truth. A lot of those people 'just wanted to be a part of a protest' with no background or understanding of why it was happening. They just took the train downtown because they knew some big shit was going to happen - probably thought they could hit hard rock cafe afterwards. At least half of those people should have stayed in the 905, just like every saturday night.
Haha yeah, or they spent the night in a holding cell with a few dozen other people who were going to work.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Point is all about perspective: there's no way in hell people living in toronto have it as bad as minorities and poor living in heavily policed neighbourhoods in the world's biggest jailor with limited access to recourse in the punitive American judicial system.

I found the comment comparing ferguson to G20 could only come from someone not well acquainted with how bad it can be in modern America - waging a war on the underclass.

And yes, I baited hippies. So what. They frequently deserve baiting.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders