• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The Jump-up thread

ghaleon

TRIBE Member
That DJ Haste mix inspired me to make a thread about jump up. Does it really suck? What are the good tunes? When do you feel like listening to jump-up? Is BBJ's mom hot?

To start, can anyone accurately define jump-up??? technics1200

Last edited:
Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

ghaleon

TRIBE Member
"Jump-Up is a subgenre of jungle and drum and bass that was popular with fans of drum and bass in the late 1990s. It is characterized by deep synthesizer basslines and highly energetic and uptempo drum loops."

So, any tune with a synthesizer bassline qualifies as a jump up tune? No matter what effect is put on it? The drum loops comment seems pretty vague to me.

"It is generally more funky and less dark than other drum and bass."

But there are plently examples of darker jump up, right?

"Classic examples include DJ Zinc's Super Sharp Shooter or Zinc's remix of the Fugees' Ready Or Not, which also samples Redman on the original version of his first collaboration with Method Man, How High; extensive use of hiphop samples is common in jumpup"

Agreed?

"Around 2003/4, jumpup came back into vogue."

It did? hehe

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

unique2100

TRIBE Promoter
Sarcasm? I love when 2nd heavy drop on that tune. where the drums just pop off and it's running that dark b-line. One of my all time favorites. Plus love the way he uses the "hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey"

ghaleon

TRIBE Member
0=0 said:
DJ Hype worked really hard on Stamina.

j

0=0

I'm no producer, but isn't all jump up relatively easy to produce? Some tunes aren't all about heavy production, and I'll bet it's arguable that some of the classics weren't that hard to make.

sauce

TRIBE Member
I would say by todays standards andd with todays technology jump up is easy to produce. But i bet with what they were working with back when this stuff was new it wasn't as easy as one may think.

I have a soft spot for jump up. Love it. To me it's just super fun no worries tunes. It's really easy to mix and pretty fun to play.

Anyone that knows me knows i still always like to throw down the jump up styles.

I can't believe nobody has mentioned aphrodite or Mickey Finn yet?????

BADASS

peace

sauce

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
fuck alll y'all seriously

if you werent into jungle in 94-96 then you dont know what jump up was, you may own the roecords but you werent at the parties....best musical period ever

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
ghaleon said:
I'm no producer, but isn't all jump up relatively easy to produce? Some tunes aren't all about heavy production, and I'll bet it's arguable that some of the classics weren't that hard to make.

that is just retarded, nowadauys it is easy to produce anything, but back then, not so much

ghaleon

TRIBE Member
basketballjones said:
I must be retarded, nowadauys it is easy to produce anything, but back then, not so much

DJ Zinc was producing some serious jump up tunes. Pranksters and The Fix come to mind

ghaleon

TRIBE Member
sauce said:
I would say by todays standards andd with todays technology jump up is easy to produce. But i bet with what they were working with back when this stuff was new it wasn't as easy as one may think.

I have a soft spot for jump up. Love it. To me it's just super fun no worries tunes. It's really easy to mix and pretty fun to play.

Anyone that knows me knows i still always like to throw down the jump up styles.

I can't believe nobody has mentioned aphrodite or Mickey Finn yet?????

BADASS

peace

sauce

ya, fun would be a good descriptor. Some of those breaks get a little boring if I'm subjected to them repeatedly. For instance, Aphrodite's Urban Jungle is a bit of a yawner for me. Some excellent tunes are in there, don't get me wrong. That mix definately has it's moments. My personal favorite is his self titled CD, I love almost every tune on there.