• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda

Big Cheese

TRIBE Member
Last Updated Mon, 19 Jan 2004 12:22:07
www.cbc.ca

ARUSHA, TANZANIA - The Canadian general in charge of United Nations peacekeepers in Rwanda during the 1994 genocide testified Monday that one of the Rwandan officers accused of masterminding the mass slaughter threatened to kill him.

Romeo Dallaire in Arusha, Tanzania (AP photo)

Retired general Roméo Dallaire said that former Rwandan army colonel Theoneste Bagosora threatened him "with a pistol and was told that next time he will kill me."

Dallaire, who warned the UN about the potential for mass killings months before they happened, is testifying Monday and Tuesday at the international tribunal in Arusha, Tanzania. The tribunal began in April 2002.

Bagosora and three other former Rwandan army officers have pleaded not guilty to genocide, conspiracy, war crimes and crimes against humanity.

The massacres began after the Rwandan president's plane was shot down over the capital on April 6, 1994.

Dallaire said Bagosora took control of the country and also chaired military meetings April 7 and 8.

He said that led him to believe that Bagosora was behind the killings.

"This is extremely crucial for the prosecution to have a witness of the calibre of General Dallaire taking the stand telling the whole world what it was like dealing with each of the accused persons," said Roland Amoussouga, a spokesman for the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda.

The former colonel is at the centre of Dallaire's memoir, Shake Hands With the Devil.

In the book, Dallaire accuses Bagosora of orchestrating the death squads.

The prosecution alleges that Bagosora ran the slaughter from his office in the Ministry of Defence.

The 100-day genocide killed more than 800,000 people, mostly minority Tutsis and politically moderate Hutus.

Several months before the slaughter, Dallaire warned the UN about death squads and plans for mass killings.

Dallaire took early retirement in April 2000 because of post-traumatic stress disorder and has complained of nightmares and flashbacks.

In 1998, Dallaire testified at the trial of Jean-Paul Akayesu, former mayor of Taba in central Rwanda. Akayesu was convicted of genocide and sentenced to life imprisonment.

Written by CBC News Online staff

i thought this might spark some interesting debate, considering this is, some say, one of the most importent international criminal proceedings since the 2nd world war. As a highly regarded Canadian General taking the stand, it's interesting what will be presented to the court

i've read some of Dallaire's book

and it's pretty obvious to anyone with half a brain that he was pulling strings during the entire genocide, yet Dallaire keep within UN regs

anyother links for information on the topic would be helpful for i have friends who have served and this seems like a great topic for discussion, and i love to read up on stuff like this when i get the time

'G

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Dallaire is a man who could have been a great hero, but he followed the rules and instead was forced to sit on the side while people died and he could do nothing. For me Rwanda was an example of when Canada should have gone it alone, ignored the UN and broken the law.

What frightens me is the intellectualization required for a mass slaughter. The teachers separated the rooms to make it easier to identify. The churches separated the congregations. Weapons were stashed in depots for the moment they were to be released.

In the end the people at the top of the pyramid will face justice, but the murderers, the 12 year old boys who did the killings, the farmers who killed there neighbors, they will be the ones who face no charges. In the end it is still ultimately proof of how an entire society can fail itself. Can it ever really be over, can resolution ever be found.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
A horrible black mark on the UN's record indeed.

I don't knwow all that much about the genocidal slaughter other than it lasted a few months, and by the time peacekeepers came in it was almost complete.

Can anyone give me a quick synopsis of the situation?

I know the US was still healing after their 20 something guys got killed in the blackhawk down mission, and this partially contributed to their lack of enthusiasm for Rwanda's situation. Why was Canada hesitant, and what was the UN's official policy towards what was happening & then what had happened?

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by OTIS

Can anyone give me a quick synopsis of the situation?

I'm going to butcher this a little as I'm running through my personal memory.

Dallaire was the general in charge of about 2500 Flemish troupes in Rawanda (and a handfull of Canadian ones).

Dallaire recognizes a serious situation as it is developing. Through a source that can not be confirmed they know of the exact location of a large weapons cache.

Dallaire requests an intervention. That the UN premptively take the weapons cache, and arrest those responsible for it.

Reality was that the UN mission was very specific and did not include the pre-emptive strike mandate.

When it went to a vote the US voted it down (with many others mind you!!) and Clinton washed his hand of it (there is some real dirt on this decission mind you) and used the excuse that internal african matters were internal african matters.

Dallaire witnesses the outbreak of the genocide and all he can do is protect the people who are inside the UN compound. He is forced to sit and let it happen and there is nothing he can do.

Its very similar to the Dutch in Kosovo!!

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Ditto Much

When it went to a vote the US voted it down (with many others mind you!!) and Clinton washed his hand of it (there is some real dirt on this decission mind you) and used the excuse that internal african matters were internal african matters.
I think I remember reading some publicly-available memos about that...something about how the word "genocide" has too many connotations...bad PR. Fuck Clinton.

Oh wait, they did. Hehehe...

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ~atp~
I think I remember reading some publicly-available memos about that...something about how the word "genocide" has too many connotations...bad PR. Fuck Clinton.

Oh wait, they did. Hehehe...
Yeah he also had loads of Money in Barrik Gold Congo. The genocide was a really good cover for what they were doing there!! As long as the UN was next door it wasn't where it was really needed.

There is some pretty ugly evidance that the genocide was orchestrated in the Congo. There is also some very strong evidance showing the Mulroney was also financially involved in the whole deal.

This one is ugly in that we can argue that the heads of the genocide are guilty without to much problem. But everyone that is responsbile for giving them the ability to do what they did, and everyone who benifited from it directly are going to walk away without even a negative mention.

Like our teachers for instance. If not for the money they had in the Gold mines in the Congo....

Bring a trial up for the events of 94 in Rawanda without first charging those in the Congo is just silly!!

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Ditto Much

There is some pretty ugly evidance that the genocide was orchestrated in the Congo. There is also some very strong evidance showing the Mulroney was also financially involved in the whole deal.
Yes!

Barrick Gold Corp is Canadian, and along with Mulroney, George Bush Senior is on their international board of advisors, and also was one of the largest contributors to the Bush Jr. Campaign of 2000. They've been charged with many atrocites which include bulldozing over & burrying alive settlers who had claim to a land they needed to mine. Of course yuo'll never read about it here due to the heavy handed legal threats made to the press in Canada.

Man.. all this shit runs so deep.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Much of it is difficult to prove. Inheritly both clinton and Mulroney woul have to have been in violation of blind trust laws. The fact that Clinton and Buh both benefited is the model of future co-operation.

But it was dirty. And I don't entirely trust belgium on this one either. Diamonds make strange bed fellows and I think everyne expected Dellare to just disappear.

But he didn't...