• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The "I want it" geekery thread

deep

TRIBE Member
http://www.irextechnologies.com/downloads/Productleaflet-Iliad.pdf

I'm looking forward to electronic ink based readers. Sony and some chinese company named Jinke will have them too. iRex is a spin off of Phillips.

- lower price point than PDAs or tablet pcs
- less bulky than laptops
- bigger screen than pdas
- electronic ink = better contrast / more readable text than LCD
- electronic ink = less power consumption than LCD = better battery life
- built in wireless / ethernet connectivity
- storage on an SD card
- ability to read HTML, PDF, text files, etc. Basically it's like an mp3 player for text.

It'd be pretty neat for students if they could just walk around with one of these, download their texts to them, etc. Sync RSS feeds in the morning and read them wherever and so forth.

If prices end up as high as the rumours say, they'll fuck the entire thing up.

Last edited:

seeker

TRIBE Member

Roku Labs Soundbridge M1000

Q. What is Roku SoundBridge?
A. SoundBridge is a network music player that lets you play your PC or Mac digital music files anywhere in the house – connecting your stereo or powered speakers to your computer’s digital music library. WMA, AAC*, MP3, AIFF and WAV music formats are supported – and it’s network ready with wired Ethernet and a CompactFlash Wi-Fi adapter. Features include:

* Most Compatible Player – Plays directly from iTunes, Musicmatch, Windows Media Connect, Windows Media Player 10, Windows Media DRM 10, and more. No additional software required.
* Large Display/Convenient Remote – Browse, select and control your music from across the room, without leaving the comfort of your sofa.
* Fast Browse – Quickly browse huge music collections by Song, Album, Artist, Genre or Composer.
* Internet Radio – Listen to a large selection of free music and talk Internet radio stations without even turning on your computer.
* One-Step Software Updates - New features will continually add to your enjoyment.
* Award-Winning Design – Enjoy the look of SoundBridge’s sleek industrial design in any room of the house

AshG

my fucking audio programs to stop crackling and popping for no good fucking reason.
yeah, that'd be real fucking swell.

d.code

TRIBE Member

SynthEyes: 3-D Camera Tracking
SynthEyes™ is an automatic and supervised camera tracking and matchmoving system offering high performance and a wealth of features at an affordable price: $399. You can matchmove your first shot in under a minute, exported to most major animation and compositing packages. Available for Windows and MAC OS X. SynthEyes is the only major tracking application offering native 64-BIT POWER under Windows XP Pro 64.

Use SynthEyes for animated character insertion, virtual set extension, accident reconstruction, architectural previews, virtual product placement, and more.
One of these would be nice to use along side a nice digi video camera.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Sinister Shadow

TRIBE Member
seeker said:
Roku Labs Soundbridge M1000
Linksys has the same thing but wireless for just $49. What good is a music bridge if
it's wired? Roku charges more for the wireless and it's already priced at $199.

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...822026&pagename=Linksys/Common/VisitorWrapper

So does apple (and theirs includes a print server and acts to extend the range of the wireless network ($159).

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...re.woa/wo/1.RSLID?mco=96190CF2&nplm=M9470LL/A

Sure, they don't have the fancy screens on them but a nice bluetooth media pad or otherwise will get you an LCD screen and allow you to control the pc from anywhere in the house.

My vote is for a bluetooth meida pad and a few linksys music bridges. That mansion will be pumping.

Last edited:

seeker

TRIBE Member
Sinister Shadow said:
Linksys has the same thing but wireless for just $49. What good is a music bridge if
it's wired? Roku charges more for the wireless and it's already priced at $199.

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...822026&pagename=Linksys/Common/VisitorWrapper

So does apple (and theirs includes a print server and acts to extend the range of the wireless network ($159).

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...re.woa/wo/1.RSLID?mco=96190CF2&nplm=M9470LL/A

Sure, they don't have the fancy screens on them but a nice bluetooth media pad or otherwise will get you an LCD screen and allow you to control the pc from anywhere in the house.

My vote is for a bluetooth meida pad and a few linksys music bridges. That mansion will be pumping.

AFAIK the Roku does wireless as well as wired out of the box. Plus it's got optical out. :) and the only PC that needs to be running any software is my server, which already has an open-source iTunes server app running.

Sinister Shadow

TRIBE Member
seeker said:
AFAIK the Roku does wireless as well as wired out of the box. Plus it's got optical out. :) and the only PC that needs to be running any software is my server, which already has an open-source iTunes server app running.
Meh... at $199 for the Roku you get a display. The linksys has optical as well.

I'm not sure what you mean by the only PC that needs to be running anything is the server? The same holds true for the Linksys or Mac ones. Just one PC needs to run the software. It's not like there are others involved. Whatever PC you link to the bridge serves up the songs to the bridge. You then control the server. Now, the Roku, admittedly has a better control interface, but I'd opt for even more control using a wireless media pad.

Anyway, no denying it's cool. For running one stereo... a good solution. If you're running multiple systems, a cheaper bridge and a media pad is probably a better solution (IMHO).

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Dr. Grinch

TRIBE Member
Sinister Shadow said:
Meh... at $199 for the Roku you get a display. The linksys has optical as well.

I'm not sure what you mean by the only PC that needs to be running anything is the server? The same holds true for the Linksys or Mac ones. Just one PC needs to run the software. It's not like there are others involved. Whatever PC you link to the bridge serves up the songs to the bridge. You then control the server. Now, the Roku, admittedly has a better control interface, but I'd opt for even more control using a wireless media pad.

Anyway, no denying it's cool. For running one stereo... a good solution. If you're running multiple systems, a cheaper bridge and a media pad is probably a better solution (IMHO).

You want a Squeezebox III

http://www.slimdevices.com/

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

jmaggs

TRIBE Member
Hitachi 55" Cineform LCD projection TV:

http://www.hitachi.ca/Apps/hitachicanada/content.jsp?page=forhome/ultravision/details/55VG825.html&path=jsp/hcl/hcl/en/

Some features:

* 1280 x 720p High-Definition Display
* VirtualHD™ 1080p II Video Processor
* 1080i/720p/480p/480i Input Compatible
* HD Digital Window™ Split Screen

* CableCARD™ Interface: 1
* HDMI™ High-Definition Multimedia Interface:4 2
* Wideband Component Video Inputs: 2
* USB Input (Side): 1
* S-Video Inputs (Rear/Side): 2/1
* AV Inputs (Rear/Side): 4/1
* Antenna Inputs: 2
* AV Output with S-Video: 1
* Optical Digital Output: 1
* Infra-Red (IR) Outputs for Learning AV Net IV: 2
* Fixed/Variable Audio Output: 1

Waiting for the price to drop below $2500, so I may be waiting for a year or so :(

db

TRIBE Member
^^^ I bought about 5 of those DM2 units 4 years ago from Walmart for $10 each. Totally not worth $49 IMHO. In fact I'll sell you one for $20 if you really want one...

keztronic

TRIBE Member
hmm that old eh.. I guess it doesnt use your sound card(s) at all just its own usb sound? do you have to use the software that comes with it?