• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The Hardkiss boys

rentboy

TRIBE Member
Finally got my mitts on the Scott Hardkiss Essential Mix from 1997.

Top drawer San Fran house and acid...

There was always something so distinct about the sound they pushed (along with RITM from Florida and Symbiosis from Dallas)...

has anyone heard this mix, or seen the Hardkiss trio spin?

Syrous brought them quite a few times over 95/96... would love to hear some response to those sets.

thanks

chris
 

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by rentboy
(along with RITM from Florida and Symbiosis from Dallas)...
You're the only person I've ever heard mention Symbiosis before...I "discovered" them a few years ago, but they no longer exist. :(
 

rentboy

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: The Hardkiss boys

Originally posted by ~atp~
You're the only person I've ever heard mention Symbiosis before...I "discovered" them a few years ago, but they no longer exist. :(
those boys have mad talent too...i have their albums (Clandestine Electronic Subculture & Meta) and their Numinous EP on Hardkiss records...they had such a unique sound.

I have mates in Dallas (where Symbiosis are from) and they are all massive fans of them...not too sure why they stopped producing.

I'd kill to hear a set of stuff like that.

Other notable producers for this sound would be Single Cell Orchestra and Freaky Chakra...alot of hot shit came out of the States.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

seeker

TRIBE Member
I've got that Hardkiss Essential Mix, Rentboy. It's got some great tunes in it for sure. The programming is a little off, though. I haven't listened to it in a while. Perhaps I'll pull it out this weekend for a spin.

You're right, though, about that sound. A little breakbeat, a little acid, a lot of house.

"Out here we is STONED"
 

seeker

TRIBE Member
BTW, I dunno if you heard it, but last year Gavin Hardkiss did a mix for Digweed's Kiss FM show that's in the same vein. Give a look, it's worth the time.
 

koojmak

TRIBE Member
i can't place a lucid memory of ever seein' the hardkiss boys here, but i do remember seein' RITM live at pleasure force 3 year waaaay back, and it's still one of the best live perfs i've ever seen hands down, that sound 0wned back in the day!
 

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Re: The Hardkiss boys

Originally posted by rentboy
those boys have mad talent too...i have their albums (Clandestine Electronic Subculture & Meta) and their Numinous EP on Hardkiss records...they had such a unique sound.
<tangent>
Yah I have both those albums...I had to order them from Europe! ;)
</tangent>
 

rentboy

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by koojmak
i can't place a lucid memory of ever seein' the hardkiss boys here, but i do remember seein' RITM live at pleasure force 3 year waaaay back, and it's still one of the best live perfs i've ever seen hands down, that sound 0wned back in the day!
nice one.

I saw them at that huge halloween bash (i think it was either 99 or 2000)... i was impressed.

I'd like to see them back in T.O. soon... i'm curious if they could actually pull off a show in a club the size of System (given that they've played at Bedrock in England).
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

rentboy

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by seeker
I've got that Hardkiss Essential Mix, Rentboy. It's got some great tunes in it for sure. The programming is a little off, though. I haven't listened to it in a while. Perhaps I'll pull it out this weekend for a spin.

You're right, though, about that sound. A little breakbeat, a little acid, a lot of house.

"Out here we is STONED"
the tracklist for that e-mix: i love the programming..it switches direction so many times that u never tire of it.

Fazed Idjuts - "Dust Of Life" (U Star/Other)
One Dove - "White Love [Scott Hardkiss Remix]" (London/FFRR)
God Within - "Acid Funk" (Hardkiss US)
Republica - "Ready To Go (Hardkiss Mix)" (RCA)
Rabbit In The Moon - "O.O.B.E" (Hardkiss/U.S.)
Symbiosis - "Of The Mind Of The Spirit" (Hardkiss/U.S.)
Reese Project - "Direct Me (Sasha Remix)" (Network)
Elton John - "Rocket Man (Scott Hardkiss Mix)" (US/Rocket Records)
Grace - "Not Over Yet" (Perfecto)
Sam Morrison - "Stoned" (NYC/KGB(US))
Rollin Gear - "I Know (Beats)" (UFG)
God Within - "Raincry (Submerged)" (Hardkiss US)
Cruitial Introspection - "Why Why Why (Olympic Terrorist Mix)" (Hardkiss US)
Future Sound Of London - "Papua New Guinea" (Jumpin & Pumpin)
Sandals - "Feet (Robbie Hardkiss Fungus Mix)" (London)
Crutial Introspection - "Indian Summer" (Hardkiss US)
Boo Williams - "Snare Tappin" (Relief US)
Sheila - "Acid Kiss" (Quark US)
God Within - "The Phoenix" (Hardkiss US)
The Temptations - "Plastic Man" (Motown US)
 

SENSEi

TRIBE Promoter
Saw them @ Syrous Champions of Champions.
They came on @ 6:00 a.m. I think.

It was one big room @ Cinespace, so it was jungle until 6:00 a.m.
It really changed the vibe when they came on.

I think a lot of people were waiting for them.

I don't remember much else as I was really digging the JUNGLE at the time.
:D
 

Jeremy Jive

TRIBE Member
I'm still rocking Hardkiss Brothers live at Purespace on my iPod.

The best part is the mix with Tree Frog.

jeremy -killer set- jive
 

seeker

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by rentboy
the tracklist for that e-mix: i love the programming..it switches direction so many times that u never tire of it.

God Within - "Acid Funk" (Hardkiss US)
Rabbit In The Moon - "O.O.B.E" (Hardkiss/U.S.)
Sam Morrison - "Stoned" (NYC/KGB(US))
Future Sound Of London - "Papua New Guinea" (Jumpin & Pumpin)
Sheila - "Acid Kiss" (Quark US)
The Temptations - "Plastic Man" (Motown US)
That's the thing with the programming. It just didn't seem to flow cohesively. I mean, I don't need a straight line from A to B, but he just seemed all over the place here. Love the tunes, though, especially those above. :)
 

rentboy

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Jeremy
I'm still rocking Hardkiss Brothers live at Purespace on my iPod.

The best part is the mix with Tree Frog.

jeremy -killer set- jive
good call.

I've been blaring this mix for the past week.

That one tune: A Certain Ratio-Be who you wannabe...is such a dope track...made in 89 too... impressive.

same applies for that 'treefrog' tune...Sandals-Feet (Scott Hardkiss mix)
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

ludikris

TRIBE Member
I'd love a copy of the champion of champions mix tape that scott and robbie did..

In all honesty... the mixing was kinda bad but no one cared cause the tunes were so on point....

Those were the days.. . :(
 

deep

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: The Hardkiss boys

Originally posted by ~atp~
You're the only person I've ever heard mention Symbiosis before...I "discovered" them a few years ago, but they no longer exist. :(
choko here turned me onto them a couple years back, and even did an entire radio show just playing out Clandestine Electronic Subculture , iirc.

edit : responding to a 7 month old post, yeah
 

voytek

TRIBE Member
hardkiss my ass. the boringest set i have ever heard ANYONE play - hardkisses at the first Love party. J00F qucikly redeemed the main room, as it was half empty when they were done. fucking terrible. words.
 

seeker

TRIBE Member
this reminds me, I still haven't checked out "Yes" and "Electric Manor 1" yet. I'll have to get on that.
 

Robb G

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by SENSEi
Saw them @ Syrous Champions of Champions.
They came on @ 6:00 a.m. I think.

It was one big room @ Cinespace, so it was jungle until 6:00 a.m.
It really changed the vibe when they came on.

I was so happy when they came on, their opening track was a wicked mix of Planet Rock.

I used to have a mix tape of Scott Hardkiss "Live from Club Zero" full of their usual west coast acid house and breaks but it also had some Pink Floyd (Nowhere To Run) and Rolling Stones (Sympathy for the Devil). It was the perfect "Sunday" mix.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders
Top