• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

the hangover plan

Skipper

TRIBE Member
My mum picked up a book on detoxing for me (thanks mum) which includes some pretty detailed advice on how to treat your body the day after serious drinking. It seems pretty reasoned to me...I thought I would share as some of the info in here was new to me.

I would assume that this advice would also be helpful if you are indulging in other things, as those also go through your liver.

Natural solutions

1. Aromatherapy - the best blends are fennel oil + juniper, rose oil, or use carrier oil to massage the pressure point between your thumb and forefinger.

2. Yoga - if you are mildly hurting, do a series of sun salutations. if you are more than just hurting mildly, stick to childs pose for as long as it feels comfortable.

Food - what to reach for

Fruit juice - as opposed to water, fruit juice provides antioxidants that help strengthen the liver. Fructose has been proven to increase the speed at which the body metabolizes alcohol.

Eggs - to detox properly, your body needs the amino acids found in protein. Cysteine, found in high qtys in eggs, is particularly helpful.Eggs are also good because they contain low levels of fat - fat is processed through the liver so consuming low qtys of fat leaves your liver to process the alcohol as quickly as it can.

Toast and honey - these will help raise blood sugar levels, taking away that jittery sick feeling and supplying another dose of fructose. Brown toast is high in B vitamins, which need replenishing after a night of drinking.

Leafy green veggies - provide natural substances that support the liver, helping it process alcohol quicker.

and lastly...

Milk thistle - has been shown to help make the liver cells less permeable to toxins. it reduces the destruction of glutathione, which helps increase the speed at which the body processes toxins. If you have been drinking heavily, take 600mg when you get home, 300mg in the morning and another 300mg in the evening.

lucky1

TRIBE Member
so looks like the greasy spoon 3 eggs breakfast, with brown toast, honey, and a glass of oj really is one of the best things for a hangover (oh with a side salad)...lol

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Sleepy Giant

TRIBE Member
Coffee may cut alcohol liver damage

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 Posted: 1423 GMT (2223 HKT)

CHICAGO, Illinois (Reuters) -- Could Irish coffee be the perfect drink?
Researchers report that drinking coffee cuts the risk of cirrhosis of the liver from alcohol -- by 22 percent per cup each day -- but they stopped short of saying doctors should prescribe coffee for that reason.
The report from the Kaiser Permanente Medical Care Program in Oakland, California, was based on a look at data from 125,580 people.
"These data support the hypothesis that there is an ingredient in coffee that protects against cirrhosis, especially alcoholic cirrhosis," concluded the report published in the Archives of Internal Medicine.
What could cause the apparent protective effect is not clear, the report said.
"Coffee is a complex substance with many potentially biologically active ingredients," the study said. "The fact that coffee is also frequently taken with added cream, milk, sugar or other substances adds more possibilities for health effects."
Other studies with similar findings have led to speculation that caffeine could play a role. However, the protective effect was not found among tea drinkers, though the authors said they were not nearly as numerous in the study as coffee users.
The report did not suggest alcohol users increase their coffee consumption or seek out drinks like Irish coffee that combine booze with coffee.
"Even if coffee is protective, the primary approach to reduction of alcoholic cirrhosis is avoidance or cessation of heavy alcohol drinking," the researchers said.

edit: I guess it's not so much a hangover cure as an anti-dying-from-being-a-lush-thing.

Last edited:

Skipper

TRIBE Member
It sounds like the study suggests regular consumption of coffee...however on a day when you're hungover I would think it only serves to dehydrate you, no?

Either way, I could really use some right now.

The Watcher

TRIBE Member
Why suffer hangovers at all.

I drink alot of booze sometimes, and I mean ALOT! But since I loathe hangovers, I chug bottles/glasses of water between every third drink.

Tadaa... NO HANGOVER! just like magic!

All you hangover sufferers deserve the pain. You could easily prevent the pain by treating yourself to some H2Ohhhhhh

judge wopner

TRIBE Member
got in the habit of having a few glasses of water during the night of drinking, then 1 or 2 big ones before bed.

in morning, big water with a squeezed lemon and coffee w/ milk some toast and bang. its all good.

though drinking draft beer makes me feel like kaka the next day compared to vodka!

JAR

TRIBE Member
this has been my saviour since coming to Asia:

a 1L bottle of Pocari after a hard night is the answer.

apparently the sell Pocari in little Korea. I fucking hope so.

Aleks

TRIBE Member
i hear blueberries are one of the most potent anti-oxidants on earth. (gram per gram) so i can only assume that a little bowl of blueberries does wonders for hangover.

mutslaster

TRIBE Member
JAR said:

gahhh i miss pocari!

also striker, that stuff was the bomb. best hangover cure ever.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Skipper said:
My mum picked up a book on detoxing for me (thanks mum) which includes some pretty detailed advice on how to treat your body the day after serious drinking. It seems pretty reasoned to me...I thought I would share as some of the info in here was new to me.

I would assume that this advice would also be helpful if you are indulging in other things, as those also go through your liver.

Natural solutions

1. Aromatherapy - the best blends are fennel oil + juniper, rose oil, or use carrier oil to massage the pressure point between your thumb and forefinger.

2. Yoga - if you are mildly hurting, do a series of sun salutations. if you are more than just hurting mildly, stick to childs pose for as long as it feels comfortable.

Food - what to reach for

Fruit juice - as opposed to water, fruit juice provides antioxidants that help strengthen the liver. Fructose has been proven to increase the speed at which the body metabolizes alcohol.

Eggs - to detox properly, your body needs the amino acids found in protein. Cysteine, found in high qtys in eggs, is particularly helpful.Eggs are also good because they contain low levels of fat - fat is processed through the liver so consuming low qtys of fat leaves your liver to process the alcohol as quickly as it can.

Toast and honey - these will help raise blood sugar levels, taking away that jittery sick feeling and supplying another dose of fructose. Brown toast is high in B vitamins, which need replenishing after a night of drinking.

Leafy green veggies - provide natural substances that support the liver, helping it process alcohol quicker.

and lastly...

Milk thistle - has been shown to help make the liver cells less permeable to toxins. it reduces the destruction of glutathione, which helps increase the speed at which the body processes toxins. If you have been drinking heavily, take 600mg when you get home, 300mg in the morning and another 300mg in the evening.

So, to summarize, you can prevent hangovers by spending 90% of your drinking time trekking around town to various apothecaries.

I think the best hangover protection (and wallet protection) is to just stop drinking once you've had enough! Either that, or drink heavily every day and you won't get hangovers either.

lucinda

TRIBE Member
JAR said:

They definitely sell this at the Korean grocery store...I think it is about 2.50 for a big guy