• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The HAIR Thread!

queen naeema

TRIBE Member
Where to go for best deep conditining treatment?

Hi ladies, I need some reccommendations, I used to go to essensuals on queen for conditioning treatments but theyre no longer there...

My hair is really curly, and super dry at the moment and I need a really good treatment, can you please suggest? Also, can someone suggest a good at home deep conditioner? I have no idea where to start and am willing to shell out for quality, I just don't want to waste 30+$ on the wrong product.

Thanks beauties!!

sk8

TRIBE Member
so it was hard to find a pic of my hair to show you - but here's an okay one that kinda shows what I did. This is grown out about a month or two.

Last edited:

queen naeema

TRIBE Member
flat irons? i need a flat iron reccomendation, mine has gone to the dogs. what are the best out there? what to avoid?

and what about a deep conditioning treatment/mask?

Persephone

TRIBE Member
So, I took the plunge almost 6 weeks ago now. Here's a less than great quality photo:

I went with the longer of the 2 cuts at first, as suggested. I like it; I didn't recognise myself in the mirror for a few days! I've already had my second cut and went shorter that time, essentially a pixie cut. I've learned that I absolutely must use product, or else my hair ends up too fluffy and I generally look more boyish. I'll have to post an updated photo once I take one.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Metal Morphosis

TRIBE Member
MadDeal is offering $20 for $40 at the Curl Ambassador.
I know a few people here have recommended them so I'm guessing it's the perfect time to check them out!

Buy yours here: MadDeal

it looks like you'll have a few days to purchase (currently 62 hours left to buy it).

skyparty

TRIBE Member
Yay pixie cuts!

I actually freaked when I got my hair cut short. There was something off about it. I was all "I'm ugly!" so I got it cut again, and it was even worse! IT was very disconnected (see, uneven wannabee choppy in a bad way) but then I went to my fave girl (who was on vacation both times I went to get my hair cut/fixed) and she went ALOT shorter and I LOVE IT. LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

All I needed was someone GOOD to cut my hair, and I stopped complaining.

I am diggin' the new do, and not going to lie- I do sport the faux hawk now and then for fun at work.

skyparty

TRIBE Member
flat irons? i need a flat iron reccomendation, mine has gone to the dogs. what are the best out there? what to avoid?

and what about a deep conditioning treatment/mask?
IF you can find a Paul Brown flat iron, buy. Generally run around $200. I had mine for 6 years before it finally decided to start losing heat, but it did still work! very well in fact. Twist, straighten, Curl, Flip. This iron has been around for years they've updated its look... but ultimately it's a tried, tested, and true straightener that lasts longer than any other one I've ever used/tried.

Hairworx Nano Silver Titanium runs around $169 is also awesome. Newest technology. FLip, Twist, Straighten, Curl. Not much to say except it's awesome but expensive (and most people haven't heard of it); however, $10 cheaper than the CHI and WAY better of an iron. I'd put it up there with the Paul Brown, and would probably sell it over the Paul Brown because it saves you money!!

ZaZen Nano Silver Titanium, has extra long plates, thin sleek, and it's Universal! take it to the states, take it to Europe! for about $139 it's probably the best deal out there. Their blowdryers are also great too! First time I've said that, and I was always a babyliss blowdryer girl.

Chi--- many girls love this iron. I HATE IT. I'll tell you why. It's ceramic PLATED. read the fine print. Their technology has never been updated, they're essentially selling crap for $179 and all it has is an off/on switch. They also break all the time, and all you are doing is paying for a name brand product. Personally I'd rather spend my $200 somewhere else. That includes ALL Sizes, ALL types, I've seen them all and they SUCK. Chi has never sold me.

Babyliss- Name brand, solid curling irons (best around!), great blow dryers! but their flat irons kind of suck (they pull hair a bit). It's hard to come by their newest technology ones... IF you can get one for cheap, go for it. It's better than a no name brand peice of shit, but don't pay more than $130 for it.

Torlen-- I don't have anything bad to say about them, but people kind of stopped buying them. They sell bigger plated ones for $169 so that's a good selling feature. Most places only sell the 1 inch ones. Other than that, can't say much. They sold like hot cakes 4-5 years ago.... Now there's a hundred and 1 rip offs that look just like them for half the price. But if you see one, don't be afraid to buy it.

Avanti--- Good, not best. They sell for $100. My point exactly. They'll do the trick if you want a cheap straightener, but if you have really thick curly hair... um... upgrade please.

[PRODUCT]

Personally, I am in love with L'oreal Professional Hair Repair Masque.

I really think it's awesome, and above everything I've tried it's brought me back to life. It makes your hair like silk after! It comes in a tub and the small size sells for about $26.

IF you can get your hands on L'anza's Trauma Treatment (I've seen alot of Lanza sold in the TBBS on Bay/Dundas) BUY as well!! It's a leave in, and you it daily. It's very light, and you'll never notice it. But it is by far, the best product I have EVER used. I ahve fried my hair to hills and back and this product has saved my life. It's about $26, but you use very little!! Mine lasted me 3 years for regular size, and my hair was shoulder length at the time.

Also, something great for your curls, that's moisterizing.

Ever Tried the Morroncoil Oil Curl Cream? It's about $40 but people swear by it, you can also try the Morroncoil masque if you want.. if you like Morroncoil Oil Products! but the Curl Cream Kicks ass. We can't even keep it our shelves!!

mariazmess

TRIBE Member
I need a change. Cut'n'colour me thinks. I want Julianna Margulies' colour and about this short/long so that it'll grow out nicely this summer:

KillaLadY

TRIBE Member
So... it's time to do my hair - haven't touched it in 2 years. I used to go to Donato and then Civelo, but I would like to try someone new.
Money is not an issue, I just want to make sure I get the best service and of course, the best cut and highlights.

What do you girls recommend in terms of salons?

Plaikate

TRIBE Member
Have always had a great experience from Joseph (for cuts) and Rose (for colour) at Fiorio Avenue Road. About $150-180 for colour and cut. They give advice on how to care for your hair too!

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Dirty Girl

TRIBE Member
If i get my hair highlighted will it cover the gray bits?
I have to do something with the gray, its horrible and really noticeable.
Those package things from shoppers dont seem to work on the gray.
I have never dyed my hair or anything at salon.
Is there anything I need to know?
How often do you have to go get it highlighted?
how much does it fucking cost?
Can you get it cut the same time you get it highlighted?
Can I go in the sun with highlighted hair?
my hair is very long.
I dont wanna be shelling out hundreds of bucks every few months to keep this shit up. right now it doesnt matter, but at some point I know I wont be able to afford that anymore.

mandapanda

TRIBE Member
i can't comment on the grey since i don't think i have any, however i have been a fairly recent convert to highlights. i went for 9 months without getting them touched up and you could hardly tell i had roots, however my hair is pretty light already. well, i could but other people didn't notice. i'd guess maybe you're looking at 4-6 months in between sessions? i dunno. it's like the most low maintenance solution i've come across, which sounds crazy, but is true. generally costs me around 150 bones, but like i said, it lasts a while. and yes, you can go in the sun. :)

skyparty

TRIBE Member
If i get my hair highlighted will it cover the gray bits?
I have to do something with the gray, its horrible and really noticeable.
Those package things from shoppers dont seem to work on the gray.
I have never dyed my hair or anything at salon.
Is there anything I need to know?
How often do you have to go get it highlighted?
how much does it fucking cost?
Can you get it cut the same time you get it highlighted?
Can I go in the sun with highlighted hair?
my hair is very long.
I dont wanna be shelling out hundreds of bucks every few months to keep this shit up. right now it doesnt matter, but at some point I know I wont be able to afford that anymore.
1. Yes it will, because they will also do solid color in between the highlights. You can get a variety of highlights (in terms of colour) but keep in mind that costs more.

2. Get a referral from someone for a salon. Not all salons, no matter how expensive or how cheap, are going to be good. It comes down to the stylists. That's what you NEED to know. Some places don't tone blondes (toning is what they do after they apply the bleach to get the desired blonde colour). Some places charge a lot for extra bowls of colour (if you have a lot, or long hair, it's going to cost more too) and some places charge you not only for the cut (at full price, which is bullshit- even good places place give you half price cuts with colour) but they charge for styling afterwards (again, totally unnecessary). So you can pay alot for what you get, or you can find a really good place that doesn't rip you off with the small details.

3. It depends on your hair growth, how dark your hair is, what colour of highlights. etc My hair grows slow so I can 4-5 months without needing it done. Some people need it done every 2 months.

4. Normally a full set of highlights and a cut (without extra bowls of colour) will run you about $120 + tax for a decent salon (notice i said decent, not great). Most places are around $150, and I've paid upwards of $250 for the same shit. I've been caught in the web of additional fees. Keep in mind it will always cost you more the first time you go because of all the colour bowls you will use. Next time you will only do roots. You could also get a half head of highlights (from the ear, around, and on top) and that's a bit cheaper.

5. Yes, you can get it cut. It's normally recommended as it will be cheaper to get it done with a colour service.

6. Keep in mind the sun will enhance blonde highlights. It will make it even more blonde. Also, if you go swimming be aware of the chlorine in pools. Get yourself a good clarifyer and use it afterwards. Everyone should own a clarifying shampoo IMO.. not just for swimming.

7. If you don't want to shell out the extra money, as full sets of highlights and upkeep can be expensive, then just get a solid colour. Roots are easy peasy, and cost less than highlights. You can always throw in a few peek-a-boo foils (mini highlights they are called, and much cheaper) for some fun. They are noticeable without your roots showing as much, so you can go longer without them being touched up.

:)

For any blondes, or real blonde highlights- get a blonde toning shampoo conditioner combo like AG. This keeps the blondes looking fresh in between visits, and keeps the brassiness away or to a bare minumum. The last thing you want to shell out all that money and your blonde go brassy- which it will do over time. brassy is so nasty! lol! it's that ugly yellowish colour and you don't want that!

Last edited:

skyparty

TRIBE Member
well you can just add highlights, but to pick out only grey strands is... well, it's not normally what they do. most stylists follow a pattern, or at the very least something they can follow for next time. when you say you have grey, i take it you don't have a lot of it then? when i think grey coverage, i assume you have silver strands coming in everywhere...like a root job, where you'd like some pieces pulled through, and some grey coverage on top of that. i know you're not old, but people go grey young, so i didn't really understand what you mean?

Metal Morphosis

TRIBE Member
no posts for almost a year - time to resurrect!

so i'm looking for a new stylist, downtown (east side if possible). i don't want to pay more than $80 before tax / tip. preferably someone who is accustomed to cutting curly hair and maybe even someone who uses a 'dry-cutting' technique on curly hair.

let me hear the recommendations ladies!

Dirty Girl

TRIBE Member
I need a curling Iron, larger barrel. my 2 curling irons are from the 80s and 90s, so I think its time for an upgrade lol.

I know skyparty reccommended Babybliss for curling irons before. Is that still the case skyparty? whats the latest on all this tourmaline ceramic nonsense? my hair doesnt hold a curl so I want something decent.
I have hot rollers which used to work really great and keep the curl in all day, but lately it seems to fall out really quickly, not sure if my hair is just longer than it used to be and thats why, or what. but regardless I want a curling iron for different styles (or I should say "attempting different styles that I will fail miserably at actually pulling off").

but more importantly, where the hell do I buy it down here?
there used to be a beauty supply store by the bus station downtown, is that still there? is that somewhere to go?

im paranoid as shit about getting one now tho, ever since I saw that youtube video where the chick burns her hair off. how long can you safely leave a flat iron/curling iron on your hair before it burns it off?

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
no posts for almost a year - time to resurrect!

so i'm looking for a new stylist, downtown (east side if possible). i don't want to pay more than $80 before tax / tip. preferably someone who is accustomed to cutting curly hair and maybe even someone who uses a 'dry-cutting' technique on curly hair.

let me hear the recommendations ladies!
The Curly-Cut | The Curl AmbassadorsThe Curl Ambassadors

I am thinking of going there for a curly doo