• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The HAIR Thread!

MissBlu

TRIBE Member
Maybe, we could use a hair thread! For all those hair related questions in regards to products, styles, cuts, and colours!

I need a new shampoo and conditioner, more so on the Shoppers level... Thick wavy, coloured, any suggestions?

cabbagetowngirl

TRIBE Member
I need a new hairstyle........ I can't just do anything though, as my hair is VERY fine, with pretty much no volume at all, and it's only about 2 inches lower than my ears.

Any suggestions?

LeoGirl

TRIBE Member
MissBlu said:
Maybe, we could use a hair thread! For all those hair related questions in regards to products, styles, cuts, and colours!

I need a new shampoo and conditioner, more so on the Shoppers level... Thick wavy, coloured, any suggestions?
just thought I'd tell you again that I love your cut.

*edit: I'm loving Pantene Expressions

VinylRach

TRIBE Promoter
so question. i've been dying my hair brown for awhile now (naturally really blonde) and it costs me an arm and a freaking leg to get my roots done.(when you have blonde roots and brown hair it looks like you're balding wierdest thing ever)..and so i'm thinking maybe instead of me going for my normal colour and cut i might dye my hair on my own....i haven't done that since i was like 16. is it going to really f*ck up my hair?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

rubytuesday

TRIBE Member
LeoGirl said:
just thought I'd tell you again that I love your cut.

*edit: I'm loving Pantene Expressions
Is the expressions line that one that enhances your hair colour? I've been checking out those products forever. Do you really notice a difference in your colour? Mine is dark brown but it gets bleached from the sun and I don't like it, I want to keep it dark as possible without permanently dyeing it.

JESuX

TRIBE Member
VinylRach said:
so question. i've been dying my hair brown for awhile now (naturally really blonde) and it costs me an arm and a freaking leg to get my roots done.(when you have blonde roots and brown hair it looks like you're balding wierdest thing ever)..and so i'm thinking maybe instead of me going for my normal colour and cut i might dye my hair on my own....i haven't done that since i was like 16. is it going to really f*ck up my hair?

if you want to start colouring on your own, and you want to go from a lighter to a darker, you're in much better shape than if you wanted a lift.

you only need to use a very low volume of peroxide (which is better for your hair than trying to lighten it) and the darker tone on top of a lighter one will help mask the line of demarkation (the "roots" you see when your hair is growing in).

try going to cosmetic world on yonge street. it's just past the money mart north of wellesley, on the east hand side. the front right hand side of the store is full of boxes of colour by l'oreal, and igora schwarzkopf (i use the latter). ask the lady to help you when you've decided on the colour you want - refer to it by the number above the swatch in the sample book.

you'll need to pick a colour either very similar to what you have now, or one slightly darker to help mask your roots.

also, you'll need to pick up a bottle of 10% volume hydrogen peroxide or "developer".

when you get home, mix the developer/peroxide and colour in EQUAL parts. you can also try taking some of the colour right out of the tube and applying it to your more obvious roots on your head to get the colour a little more intense, since your hair is blonde. then, when you've mixed the colour/developer well, apply it to your whole head and leave it on for about... 20-30 minutes? (it depends on your hair).

there ya go. salon = avoided.

for a simple brown colour, you're getting WAY ripped off having that done by a pro. if you're going all crazy and hilights and panels and shit - THEN it's time to see a professional. but if you're not even lifting colour there's no reason you can't do that yourself/at home.

:)

LeoGirl

TRIBE Member
rubytuesday said:
Is the expressions line that one that enhances your hair colour? I've been checking out those products forever. Do you really notice a difference in your colour? Mine is dark brown but it gets bleached from the sun and I don't like it, I want to keep it dark as possible without permanently dyeing it.
they enhance your natural color. In the winter I use the red formula and in the summer the blond.

I haven't seen much of a difference with the blond really - but the red really accentuates the natural reds in my hair.

http://www.pantene.com/en_CA/expressions/index.jsp

Persephone

TRIBE Member
rubytuesday said:
I use the Aveda Black Malva shampoo and conditioner for this purpose. My ends tend to get light, almost reddish and I don't like that. The Aveda conditioner actually has dye in it - you leave it on for 2-3 minutes in the shower for every other wash. Since I've been using it my ends match my roots almost exactly. I am very happy with it.

As far as I know, the Pantene expressions products do not have any dye in them whatsoever, so they really can't affect the colour of your hair at all.

VinylRach

TRIBE Promoter
Jesux: wow. that sounds complicated. How much does that cost vs. regular stuff from the box? i'm going darker anyways because my brown has lightened a lot, so i'm figuring that my roots wont show if i'm going a couple shades darker.

LeoGirl

TRIBE Member
Persephone said:
As far as I know, the Pantene expressions products do not have any dye in them whatsoever, so they really can't affect the colour of your hair at all.
no they don't, but I found this...
It's not a dying shampoo which will make your hair brown, or even a different shade of brown. Quite to the contrary, Brunette Expressions has no color enhancing ingredients whatsoever.

Instead, Brunette Expressions is an excellent shampoo and conditioner that somehow works with your hair's color to not change it (as the daily use of some products will!), but to actually make it look more rich.
*shrug*

I personally love the red expressions

JESuX

TRIBE Member
VinylRach said:
Jesux: wow. that sounds complicated. How much does that cost vs. regular stuff from the box? i'm going darker anyways because my brown has lightened a lot, so i'm figuring that my roots wont show if i'm going a couple shades darker.

it's actually really not complicated at all :)

the box of colour (depending on how long/thick your hair is is - you might not need a whole tube) is re-sealable, whereas the box stuff at shoppers isn't. the bottle of developer will cost you about $3-$5 and will last you for ages. the box colour is between $8-$10.

now, the *huge advantage* of doing this rather than using drug store stuff:

the stuff you get at the drug store is a metallic dye. not only is this worse for your hair, it's *very* stubborn to get *out*. also, the problem is this - if you're putting a metallic dye on top of a professional colour, the chances for the colour to be fucked up/go green increase hugely.

you'll notice that a lot of the box dyes at the drug stores have a tendency to go green, turn brassy, among other frightful things. they also are more harsh, contain ammonia and a much higher level of peroxide that you don't have control over. (when you do it yourself, you can get different levels of peroxide/developer depending on what you want to do with your hair)

the long and short: if you decide to go the "professional at home" route - your hairdresser:

a) will not bend you over her knee and spank you for fucking up your hair

b) will be able to *fix* your hair if you do "fuck up" or don't get the exact colour/effect you wanted

c) will be able to more easily get the colour *out* if and/or when you decide you're tired of the brown

my advice is to stay far far away from boxed/drug store... not only does it not look as nice, it'll ravage your hair and prevent it from being as healthy as possible, considering it's coloured.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

PolishPrincess

TRIBE Member
supakeli said:
I need an amazing, creative stylist who isn't going to charge me a fortune.
Anyone?

willing to drive to Stratford Ontario? 1.5 hours west?
I only go back to Stratford to get my hair done. MUCH MUCH cheaper than Toronto and my stylist is wonderful. She's young, hip, and best of all..HONEST. If she doesn't think something will look good on me, she tells me.

Worth the drive for me!

VinylRach

TRIBE Promoter
hey remember someone was talking abo ut that aveda school or whatever that you could get your hair done @ for really cheap? does anyone know anything about that?

ila

TRIBE Member
re shampoo/conditioner

do you guys use the same stuff all the time, or keep a couple of different types around? like, one to use before you're getting gussied up and one to use before work and crap like that?

am I wasting money buying a bunch of different types thinking that using the same one all the time will make it work less well?

hrrrrmmmm??

Mrs. Brick

TRIBE Member
i just found this forum, and then this thread!

i can answer most of your hair questions!

about the aveda school, it is cheap, however they use aveda colour, which unfortunatly is dull and fades quickly!

re shamp/conditioner, buy a shampoo and conditioner that is professional and suits your needs, when they run out switch to another professional product to give your hair bit of a change, sometimes a product can stop working if you use it too much. also make sure it is PH balanced between 4.5 and 6 as to not damage your hair especially if its coloured. one pea sized ammount of professional shampoo or conditioner equals an entire handful of shoppers product.

jess is bang on about haircolour. VR you would be better off going to Marvel, the school in Yorkville.

grumblegirl

TRIBE Member
i'm DYING for a new hairstyle/colour...

i've been rockin' the red for the past 6 months or so, and i'd taken to adding in various shades (darker tips and brighter roots - looks pretty neat!), but reds fade soooooooooooooooooo fast. i'm losing my patience. in the last year, before this most recent red, i had dark brown, before that, white-blonde, before that [briefly] bright blue, and last spring i was red [again].

i just get bored of hair colours so quickly, and i *never* want to have natural looking colour - i feel all washed out and boring when it's a so-called natural colour. blech. but i'm out of ideas!!! and while i'm enjoying the new challenge of blending colours and chunking - it's no fun when the colour differences only last a couple of weeks. argh.

on top of that - i'm in DIRE NEED of a hair cut. i've just basically been letting it grow, and having a friend of mine chop at it periodically, cuz i'm broke and a decent hair cut is pricey. so - do i give myself the only haircut i am able to do on myself (quasi-pixie cut), or bite the bullet and go to yet another unknown and possibly waste-of-money hair stylist??? [god i miss laura at shampoo!]

mandapanda

TRIBE Member
see...i used to do the whole colour my hair at home thing with the professional salon stuff (wella) from cosmetic world along with 10% developer. however, i was having serious problems with the colour staying in. and yes, before you ask, it said permanent on the box! so about 8 months ago, i switched to that ammonia-free herbal essences colour, even though i was originally vehemently opposed to the store bought box dye. however, the colour lasts, is shiny and super soft and honestly looks a lot nicer. and i'm not cursing it like i was when i was using the professional stuff.

but now you've got me all worried...am i really fucking up my hair by using that?

Last edited:

grumblegirl

TRIBE Member
the beauty of 'fucking up' your hair, is that you will always get brand new hair to try to take care of differently (or continue fucking up, in a quest to find the perfect colour/style ;)).

my motto has always been: if it isn't falling out, then it's all good. i also find that slightly 'unhealthy' hair styles much easier (at least short hair styles). then again - i've done some maneouvers with my hair that make most stylists blanch. lol. like going from dark dyed red to bright white/platinum. lots of 'whoopsie - that's an *interesting* colour i've ended up with' episodes in my past.

just remember that hair is dead, and will never be 'healthy' - it will just be dry or not dry, processed or not processed, etc.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories