• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

the greatest feeling..... beyond words.

tEkKiD

TRIBE Promoter
sd_in_the_mix.sized.jpg

or with words, having two highly respectable dj's i've looked up too since day one (the dj itch) looking in awe or the look of respect. :)

guelph0007.jpg

then the look of another dj i highly respect, having the look as if Christian Smith is on the decks :p

p.s yeah i look like fucking powder, im scottish F OFF. :D

moral of the thread: who inspired you, who do you look up too?what mix gave you the heebee jeebee's...

all that respect and jazz :)

dj'ing side, five years ago or so it started out with

Curt Martin
Greg Gow
Fred Paolo
Kenny Glasgow
Derrick Rammirez (dez)
Shamus Cohglan
Jeff Mills

feel free to prolong and send your respects in this thread...(thanks j for the awesome photo's muah!)

ez,

stewartdouglas:)

OhNo!

TRIBE Member
Greg Gow-shit,if it wasn't for Gregs support and accolades i honestly don't know where id be...

Fred Paolo-oh the glorious system backroom saturdays,there every week for a year,good,good times:)

Kenny Glasgow-remember when he played a entire request set for you and i doug?awesome,plus those industry days.

Shamus-cut scratch,double up ,pullback...the pimp!

Dez-deeeetroooiiit

Dj Choo-Choo-wooo wooo

;)

isoprax

TRIBE Promoter
The two people I would say are responsible for myself would have to be Marinko Jareb and Wes Thomas. Marinko's old mix tapes got me hooked Wes showed me what to do at his place every saturday while we waited for my GF to get her ass off of work.

tEkKiD

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by OhNo!

Kenny Glasgow-remember when he played a entire request set for you and i doug?awesome,plus those industry days.

Limelight!!!!!!

an empty dance floor on a sunday night with Curt and I being trainspotting harrassing requesting tearing up the dancefloor techno freaks! good 7 years ago!

this is how freaking awesome Kenny is....... a kenny storie.

99 or 2000..... was just testing the waters as a dj (bedroom) and Gow used to do a show on 1groove... Phil (phryl) had something to do with it, well it had a chat room. Imagine tekkid then? ha...jokes well i bugged Kenny for the pace sooooooooooo f'in bad, not funny.he played it , i enjoyed.Everytime there after i seen Kenny i was , "got the pace?" Was seeing this girl in Hamilton and went to this party (no doubt Kenny was there!) the look on Kenny's face was so fucking funny as he spewed out " I GOT THE FUCKING PACE!" didnt even open my mouth.That party @ the docks Oddio you did with Ruskin/Surgeon ,Gow,yourself and Kenny...the one with Surgeon no show, Kenny stepped up walking through the morning sunshine ,music dead...total red carpet entry with joint in hand .... 20 minutes into his set looking up got a glimpse of me and soon after dropping this record Curt had owned that was Rob Hood "the pace" still brings back chivers. bliss.......... ahhhhhh memories :)

sd:D

erk

TRIBE Member
Got me interested/inspired in the beginning?

Chris Sheppard/Deadly Headley on CFNY
D-Nice @ 23 Hop

"Back in the day" with:

Adam Marshall
David Cooper
Jeff Cochran
Jeff Mills
Kenny Glasgow
Murat

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Skipper

TRIBE Member
hehehe...

Well you all know what I am going to contribute to this thread BUT hear me out...

Djs inspire me not with what they play or how they play it, but with their attitude and their work ethic. Their passion. The way they reach out to fans...and for this reason Miss B has totally inspired me to start DJing and keep at it as much as I can...

Nevermind that you may not like her style or her track selection, or maybe you do you just wish she wouldn't slander techno when she calls herself a techno DJ...whatthefuckever, who cares, that doesn't matter to me in the big picture. (not that I feel that way anyway) What matters to me is the way she has thrown herself into DJing, and right from day 1 she said "I'm going to make a career out of this" and she DID. That impresses me, even though those aren't my goals...

She doesn't take her fans for granted, and every year at her birthday party when she spins as long as the club allows her and as long as people are still dancing, I am reminded of why she is my biggest inspiration...she tries to give back as much as she gets from her fans.

But her aside, all of you guys in this forum inspire me to learn more about techno...we all have such different tastes, as evidenced by our sets posted in this forum, yet we find ourselves at the same parties, drooling over the same big parties in Europe...there is obviously so much knowledge amongst the people in this forum, so much experience in the industry, I expect to learn only a fraction of it, but that's still inspiration to me. :)

derek

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by erk
Got me interested/inspired in the beginning?

Chris Sheppard/Deadly Headley on CFNY
D-Nice @ 23 Hop

"Back in the day" with:

Adam Marshall
David Cooper
Jeff Cochran
Jeff Mills
Kenny Glasgow
Murat

lol you remember patrick d-nice. he's still around. use to be coowner of octopus lounge & the up & down. he's one of the dudes that got me goin' when he use to work at starsound.

others for me were

eric ling (killer rec collection, one of the best in the city)
peter & tyrone & shams (use to hold recs for me thanks guys)
carl allen
dino & terry

kenny g's been an inspiration though, but as we started spinnin' at the same time can't say he got me into it. definetly kept me goin' though. i use to spin with him and Jeremy and Micheal from time to time during his JMK years (okay it was 3 times), and it was always a blast. wow, time flys, those days seem like yesterday.

cheers,

derek

Buddy Holly

TRIBE Member
For myself there were a number of Dj's who "inspired" me.

But the one guy who gave me a hand and lent me some pointers was a cool cat from London, Ontario who owned the now closed LUSH nightclub:
Mike Price AKA JoJo.
He would let me come into the club during the week when it was closed to play records on the bigger sound set up. I would give him cd's and he would let me know what things I needed to improve on. Without his help I probably would have quit long ago. (thanks for the addiction!!!).

Dj's who when I hear them, it brings me backkkk:

Dave Cooper
Greg Gow
Sneak
Kenny Glasgow
Terry Mullan

and of course much respect to the new(er) breed of local techno;

Stewart Douglas
Curt Martin
Eric Lork
Jeff Payne
Engine
etc. etc. etc.

you guys rock.
:)

Interchange

TRIBE Promoter
'bout 8 years it has been for me now

who got me into it- Myself - at the time there were no female djs in the city except bombshell who spun D&B I set out to learn how to dj to prove what i could do. that i could throw it down like one of the guys.

yes there were people along the way that inspired - and encouraged me

watch out for this name drop - i was one lucky girl :)

Murat
Algo
Place called bliss
Dopplereffekt
Dan Bell
Claude Young

i only wish there was a female name in that list - this was the reality at the time not a lot of chicks in the dj circles.

poker face

TRIBE Member
The Dj's over the years that I have enjoed listening to that has changed the way/music that I play over the years and to this day would probably be these people.

H-Foundation
Adam Beyer
Vitamin D
James Zabiela

And there are a few others, but sometimes I forget who they are until I hear them again. At some points during the time of me being a dj these people have had some impact on me.

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
I just wrote out a big response, and then lost it all when I clicked on a picture, so here's what I gotta say:

NIB HIGH FOOTBALL RULZ!

and F*CK INTERNET EXPLODER FOR OPENING EVERYTHING IN ONE WINDOW

odbx

blipblurpbleep

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by oddmyth
I just wrote out a big response, and then lost it all when I clicked on a picture, so here's what I gotta say:

NIB HIGH FOOTBALL RULZ!

and F*CK INTERNET EXPLODER FOR OPENING EVERYTHING IN ONE WINDOW

odbx

i love 'myie2' ;)
all the perks of mozilla without losing any ie functions

as for influences...
too many to name really...though mike shannon, algo, adam marshall, c. breen, etc. all spring to mind.

tommysmalls

TRIBE Member
lots of local peeps were around to be in awe of in the mid to late nineties! to name a few:

jeff cochran
kenny g
peter and tyrone
dez
greg gow
murat
adam marshall
algo

derrick may!!

cheers to all the toronto techno peeps carrying the torch spinning the music we all love!

mistah chin

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by derek
lol you remember patrick d-nice. he's still around. use to be coowner of octopus lounge & the up & down. he's one of the dudes that got me goin' when he use to work at starsound.

others for me were

eric ling (killer rec collection, one of the best in the city)
peter & tyrone & shams (use to hold recs for me thanks guys)
carl allen
dino & terry

kenny g's been an inspiration though, but as we started spinnin' at the same time can't say he got me into it. definetly kept me goin' though. i use to spin with him and Jeremy and Micheal from time to time during his JMK years (okay it was 3 times), and it was always a blast. wow, time flys, those days seem like yesterday.

cheers,

derek

ha, back in the day...:)

don't forget aki.

d.code

TRIBE Member
I really cant remember who the VERY first one was who got me flipped onto techno.. all I remember is being at a ??(I cant even remember) and hearing that beat..

When I first picked up decks - under influence from all my rave friends at the time I started playing trance (boo!) for a total of 2 months. Then one day Paul from The Pit yelled at me for wanting to buy some techno records and I put them all back- and went over to speed and bought a shit load of techno tunes. Ever since then... :D

Biggest influences were easily Alogrithm, Kenny Glasgow, Greg Gow, and everyone else who played at fukhouses, building blocks and phryl's.

I learned in a basment with my friend Dan, and at my house skipping school with some friends of mine on a real shitty set up. It wasnt intill about 3 months ago that I finally bought some techs!

Recently my inspiration has come from playing in warehouses (real abandon ones), fields and all sorts of free jams.