• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The Greatest Decade Of Music?

OhNo!

TRIBE Member
an article in the sun a few weeks back posed the same question,50s,60s,70s,90s but completed wrote off the 80s as a complete disaster when it came to music.this is where i really get pissed off at lazy music journalists/critics,because the 80s were far and away the best decade when it came to innovative and original artists that changed the musical landscape over the next 24 years.maybe if these 'so-called' journalists would turn off the radio and put down their copy of rolling stone they would realize this fact and do some research before they go an slag a entire decade of music,honestly who hires these fucking wankers?If they had any sense they would realize that the 90s were the epitome of shit and the 80s was the revolutionary decade.i will now procede to list just some of the awesome artists/bands/groups that released some of the best music in the last 40 years,so bear with me

new order
the cure
depeche mode
echo and the bunnymen
jesus and the mary chain
xtc
siouxie and the banshees
the smiths
talking heads
husker du
the replacements
the smithereens
they might be giants
r.e.m.
the ramones
minor threat
black flag
dead kennedys
the descendents
bad religion
ac/dc
prince
bruce springsteen
the alarm
tom petty and the heartbreakers
the cramps
blondie
madonna
public enemy
boogie down productions
epmd
eric b and rakim
run dmc
u2
michael jackson
10,000 maniacs
art of noise
beastie boys
the cars
eurythmics
madness
the go-gos
ministry
guns and roses
metallica
ll cool j
nitzer ebb
skinny puppy
gary numan
the police
talk talk
the pretenders
throbbing gristle
patti smith
the sugarcubes
van halen
tom waits
p.i.l.
kate bush
cabaret voltaire
elvis costello
duran duran
peter gabriel
inxs
love and rockets
motley crue
the fall

...so what is your favorite music decade?mines the 80s.

Vote Quimby

TRIBE Member
The early to mid 80's was a brilliant period for music. But the entire 80's was a disaster as well. The 80's saw music start to diverge into all the different genres.

For all the bands you listed, the list is 10x longer with all the crap that came out of the 80's.

Sit back and examine each decade in it's entirety, and you will probably see that the decades prior to the 80's were better all round musically.

Except the 90's. The 90's sucked ass. That is the worst decade for music.

Littlest Hobo

TRIBE Member
I liked 90-95.

The 70's were great. Actually, every decade had produced some fantastic music. Except for 1995 to present, where everything has sucked.

jockey slut

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by OhNo!
an article in the sun a few weeks back posed the same question,50s,60s,70s,90s but completed wrote off the 80s as a complete disaster when it came to music.this is where i really get pissed off at lazy music journalists/critics,because the 80s were far and away the best decade when it came to innovative and original artists that changed the musical landscape over the next 24 years.maybe if these 'so-called' journalists would turn off the radio and put down their copy of rolling stone they would realize this fact and do some research before they go an slag a entire decade of music,honestly who hires these fucking wankers?If they had any sense they would realize that the 90s were the epitome of shit and the 80s was the revolutionary decade.i will now procede to list just some of the awesome artists/bands/groups that released some of the best music in the last 40 years,so bear with me

new order
the cure
depeche mode
echo and the bunnymen
jesus and the mary chain
xtc
siouxie and the banshees
the smiths
talking heads
husker du
the replacements
the smithereens
they might be giants
r.e.m.
the ramones
minor threat
black flag
dead kennedys
the descendents
bad religion
ac/dc
prince
bruce springsteen
the alarm
tom petty and the heartbreakers
the cramps
blondie
madonna
public enemy
boogie down productions
epmd
eric b and rakim
run dmc
u2
michael jackson
10,000 maniacs
art of noise
beastie boys
the cars
eurythmics
madness
the go-gos
ministry
guns and roses
metallica
ll cool j
nitzer ebb
skinny puppy
gary numan
the police
talk talk
the pretenders
throbbing gristle
patti smith
the sugarcubes
van halen
tom waits
p.i.l.
kate bush
cabaret voltaire
elvis costello
duran duran
peter gabriel
inxs
love and rockets
motley crue
the fall

]

gawddam its like my entire tape and cd collection, that i constantly punked off my parents, and played to death

go 80's revival:D

-jybot

OhNo!

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Vote Quimby
The early to mid 80's was a brilliant period for music. But the entire 80's was a disaster as well. The 80's saw music start to diverge into all the different genres.

For all the bands you listed, the list is 10x longer with all the crap that came out of the 80's.

Sit back and examine each decade in it's entirety, and you will probably see that the decades prior to the 80's were better all round musically.

i grew up with an older brother in the 80s,so trust me i know about the truckloads of shit that came out that decade.yet i dont think its fair to slag off an entire of decade of music considering the great artists and albums that emerged from that decade.i know about all of the great artist of the 50s 60s and 70s my record collection is about 8000 deep the 80s are however special to me...

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

SENSEi

TRIBE Promoter
buddy holly was groundbreaking,as was richie valens the beatles were just afforded the luxury of not dying and meeting bob dylan otherwise we probably wouldn't be talking about them.

You have lost the right to comment on music.
:D :D :D

thom100

TRIBE Member

well put, I could not agree more.

Evil Dynovac

TRIBE Member
I respect the 80's because it brought us electronic music, which evolved into the awesome house, trance, and techno that burned my ear and changed my life from 1992 - 2002. I hope the electronic music that comes out in the 2K decade will be even better but I thought last year things slumped quite a bit.

mingster

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by sweet_e
the first time around.

i think the 80s are currently living a revival of sorts. and i wonder if this might be the reason some have focused their musical appreciations on music from the era? will we feel the same way in 20 years from now? did we feel this way in the 90s? i don't know.

but anyways, i'd have to agree. i love 80s music now. i was a little too young to really enjoy it when i was living it. which brings me to another point: when i was a teenager, in the 90s, we listened to ALOT of stuff from the 70s. see what i'm saying?

kuba

TRIBE Member
obviously whenever the beatles were around.

that was the greatest. cuz they are the greatest yah yah yah yah yahhhhhhhhh.

wait. Im supposed to hate them m m m m m

mandapanda

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Vote Quimby

mmmm i dunno about this. the majority of the bands that i like came out in the early 90s (the verve, suede, blur, lush, marion etc) during that whole "brit pop" (*shudder* what else do i call it?) wave.

i was thinking the other day that i am turning into one of those sad old people who thinks the music was better in their "youth". i just don't seem to find the multitude of bands to like anymore that i used to. however, maybe this is because i find a lot more djs and producers that i like, so i am not seeking out new non-dance music as obsessively anymore. :confused:

ahhh who knows.

SENSEi

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by qtip
obviously whenever the beatles were around.

that was the greatest. cuz they are the greatest yah yah yah yah yahhhhhhhhh.

wait. Im supposed to hate them m m m m m

You so crazy!!
:D :D :D

bambam

TRIBE Member
I dont think this question can be answered objectively.
I hate the 80s cause I hate the nu-80s shite running around today. But a lot of good stuff did cmoe out of the 80s. Then again, if you look hard enough, didnt a lot of good stuff come out of any decade this (past) century?My favourite decade will always be the one Im watching unfold.

OhNo!

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by mandapanda
mmmm i dunno about this. the majority of the bands that i like came out in the early 90s (the verve, suede, blur, lush, marion etc) during that whole "brit pop" (*shudder* what else do i call it?) wave.

i was thinking the other day that i am turning into one of those sad old people who thinks the music was better in their "youth". i just don't seem to find the multitude of bands to like anymore that i used to. however, maybe this is because i find a lot more djs and producers that i like, so i am not seeking out new non-dance music as obsessively anymore. :confused:

ahhh who knows.

lots of good bands in the nineties

my bloody valentine
stone roses
pixies
dinosaur jr

...i could go on and on,but just because Nirvana emerged from this decade lazy stupid journalists forget this was the decade that gave us right said fred,ace of base and all the ensuing bubble-gum pop that followed.

kerouacdude

TRIBE Member
the 60's. Aside from all the great music, the Beatles, Beach Boys, Dylan, The Byrds, and the Velvet Underground are, if not the top 5, definitely in the top 10 of artists who most influenced subsequent bands/artists over the years.

Kinda hard to rank the 50's as rock n roll started around '54 or '55, but I'd rank 'em 60's, 80's, 50's, 70's, 90's.

Resolver

TRIBE Member
an article in the sun a few weeks back posed the same question,50s,60s,70s,90s but completed wrote off the 80s as a complete disaster when it came to music.this is where i really get pissed off at lazy music journalists/critics,because the 80s were far and away the best decade when it came to innovative and original artists that changed the musical landscape over the next 24 years.maybe if these 'so-called' journalists would turn off the radio and put down their copy of rolling stone they would realize this fact and do some research before they go an slag a entire decade of music,honestly who hires these fucking wankers?
hahaha... 80's music used to disappoint me alot actually. It was only up until a couple of years ago that I noticed that alot of great music came from here especally bands like The Police & Van Halen.....errr hold on a sec, aren't these bands from the 70's????? but no matter, alot of great material comes from this decade. I just don't like stuff like, "hey Mickey you're so fine, you're so fine blah blah blah.... I'd rather listen to Creed uhh wait a sec maybe not. Fack, why am I always contradicting myself??? :rolleyes:

OhNo!

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: The Greatest Decade Of Music?

Originally posted by Resolver
hahaha... 80's music used to disappoint me alot actually. It was only up until a couple of years ago that I noticed that alot of great music came from here especally bands like The Police & Van Halen.....errr hold on a sec, aren't these bands from the 70's????? but no matter, alot of great material comes from this decade. I just don't like stuff like, "hey Mickey you're so fine, you're so fine blah blah blah.... I'd rather listen to Creed uhh wait a sec maybe not. Fack, why am I always contradicting myself??? :rolleyes:

err um,when a band formed has nothing to do with anything,so those artists input to the decade doesn't count because they formed in the 70s? stop trying to split hairs...

Resolver

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Re: The Greatest Decade Of Music?

err um,when a band formed has nothing to do with anything,so those artists input to the decade doesn't count because they formed in the 70s? stop trying to split hairs...

hahah okay fair enough... the 80's wa the MTV generation though. Music with the visuals. There was a lot of silly music videos in this era and I just think a lot of it takes away from one's own imagination on how they view a song. Do you see my point??

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
I personally think the 70's paved new roads for existing trends/revolutionary musical surges...kraftwerk and other kraut stuff,punk,disco,cheesy/ballady rock,heavy metal,glam,etc...it just had the most substance:)

AVE

TRIBE Member
lots of good bands in the nineties

my bloody valentine
stone roses
pixies
dinosaur jr

not to split hairs here, but i'd argue that the Stone Roses were a band of the 80s(albeit the very late 80s).

yeah, Second Coming came out in 95, but 1989s self titled was by far the more inpsirational of the two albums(in general, i love Second Coming).

but then again, their influence and fame in places other than England didn't really come about until the early 90s, so.........i dunno.

in other news, i scored a lossless "All the Colours Fade" bootleg from Hacienda 1989, and have been pumping it for weeks now ! thank god for bittorrent

:)

MrMarcus

TRIBE Member
I think the 80s was the bridge between classic rock & soul and modern music as we know it today. It was a time when people were very experimental, with all the new technology that were being used at the time, thus spawning so many genres of music, and many artists crossing over to other genres, creating new sounds. By the 90s, these new genres pretty much matured, and creativity started to slow down. These days, for instance, Hip Hop artists pretty much stay within their "Hip Hop box" for the most part, Rock artists stay within the Rock'n'roll frame, etc. and whenever one strays to another music style...they're likely to be labelled a sellout. kinda sad if u ask me :(