• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The Future Is Flac ????

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

vveerrgg

TRIBE Promoter
ZING!........ no joke.

the guy talks about buying a protools HD system like he's going out and buying it from radioshack.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

physix

TRIBE Member
for real!!!! i'm surprised he didn't recommend wiring it into your mac console in your 2004 HUmmer.

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
It's free and varies in size depending on how you compress the original signal. MLPS also is supposed to do this but it costs. Of course you encode a 32/96 file it will be larger than a 16/44. But the main benefits I think would be that it can actually be used for archival purposes. I have been playing with it and a 24 bit file I save about 10 megs off a regular wave with no compression. I could use more but I need to find out more of how it compares against the original.

zoo

TRIBE Member
the website posted above has a comparisons page linked off it

apparently the compression ratio is on average 0.5 - 0.7

which is "great" if you plan on replacing .WAV files, but terrible if you plan on replacing mp3s :)

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
I don't think will be a replacement to mp3 but it does offer some good things for selling CD's or other formats to customers via an online platform. MLPS I still think saves more space but its not cheap and used often in DVD A.

Syntax Error

Well-Known TRIBEr
primus is offering their live sets in flac format for sale on their website. pretty good idea, i just ended up converting them to aiff's anyways.

Isosceles_CAT

TRIBE Promoter
On that note I think that in regards to legit online music stores it makes more sense to sell flac than MP3s. If you are going to pay for the music shouldn't you have the option of not getting an ugly compressed version that you could just dl off a filesharing client anyway?

zoo

TRIBE Member
^^ Yeah with harddisk storage sizes skyrocketing, marginally compressed codecs like this one are feasible on a large scale.

The only question is, is there enough of a difference between this and a LAME alt-preset-extreme MP3 that makes the extra space justified?

I don't think it's possible to tell the difference that that level of MP3 quality ... it's practically lossless.

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by zoo
^^ Yeah with harddisk storage sizes skyrocketing, marginally compressed codecs like this one are feasible on a large scale.

The only question is, is there enough of a difference between this and a LAME alt-preset-extreme MP3 that makes the extra space justified?

I don't think it's possible to tell the difference that that level of MP3 quality ... it's practically lossless.
Surely thats a joke?
MP3 to wave or Aiff is a substatial difference!
And of course my speakers or Osc scope can tell the difference. It's not subtle either.

Isosceles_CAT

TRIBE Promoter
I would have to agree... Even at 256 the differences in the high end are noticable on an affordably high end system... Even to me and this old dogs ears are worn right out. ;)

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Isosceles_CAT
I would have to agree... Even at 256 the differences in the high end are noticable on an affordably high end system... Even to me and this old dogs ears are worn right out. ;)

Ya no doubt, and not like I have super hearing either(any but!!).
For me I just find its the transients that seem more real. Of course spaceing imaging to. But if there is one thing I find hard to deal with is lagging sounds. I don't know if that is easily explained but lots of times I find things sound slower even though it not changed pitch or anything.

zoo

TRIBE Member
sigh

CD source:
RefCdAudio.gif

MP3 encoded with LAME at 256:
MP3HQ256k.gif

they are identical until 18.5kHz

:)

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by zoo
sigh

CD source:
RefCdAudio.gif

MP3 encoded with LAME at 256:
MP3HQ256k.gif

they are identical until 18.5kHz

:)

Ya funny how a low resolution graph can show something like that. Ignorance is bliss right?

;)

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
^ If that is directed at me I am not going to say more. If MP3 is fine for you then all the power to you, and god bless ya.

:D