• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The French Horn

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
Back when I was younger, perhaps much younger, a teacher asked me:

teacher>"What instrument would you like to play?"
There was a pause here because I hadn't thought about it.
I was taking this class because it was required by the law.
In my young, beautiful naivety I said:

me:> "Well which is the most difficult instrument?"

I suppose I was looking for a challenge.

teacher> "Well, the Oboe is the hardest but we only have one of those. Why don't you try the French Horn?"

And so it was that I began my trek on the French Horn.

I don't know about the Oboe so much, but the French Horn is very difficult. You need mastership over your lips to play it properly. I accord my delicate kisses to the muscle definition I learned through the French Horn. It's quite a small mouthpiece, and the most minute fluctuations in muscle tone will result in a totally different note.

The French Horn is used everywhere, but largely underappreciated, despite its difficulty.

"The Imperial March" by the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra (HQ) - YouTube

At 1:13 it becomes obvious but most of the Imperial march is heralded by French Horns.

To master this instrument is much more than being a mere guitar player.

I recall a day when I pulled my face away from the mouthpiece, and it was full of blood. My blood.

-jM
A&D

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
Last edited:
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
You're bringing back a lot of high school band memories with this post, Jeffsus.

Aha, if only digital cameras existed back then I'd post some pics!

You were on the trombone, hmmm.... Where can one buy quality discounted brass instruments these days?

-jM
A&D

Brandon

TRIBE Member
Aha, if only digital cameras existed back then I'd post some pics!

You were on the trombone, hmmm.... Where can one buy quality discounted brass instruments these days?

-jM
A&D

Ha ha, yearbook scans would have to do in a pinch.

As for where to buy quality used instruments, I'm not sure. I definitely need to get my trombone repaired. Some time this decade, perhaps.