• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The FOOD Picture Thread!

krzysztof

TRIBE Member
sausages.jpg

loumar

TRIBE Member
tonights dinner...first...
chilled melon soup with basil and mint.
DSCF3661.jpg

second...
roasted asparagus with a caper vin...

DSCF3711.jpg

third...
roasted halibut with a corn and bean ragout.

DSCF3706.jpg

Last edited:
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

futronic

TRIBE Member
Thanks! I got a deal at Tap Phong on Spadina - 20% off.

Both the dinner plates and bowls are 12" instead of the usual 10". I could have bought 14", but that would have been excessive, especially for placing on a table. The side plates are 8", which work well for a first course and dessert.

I have a lot of versatility here - I can use the plates for saucy dishes, but with large braised dishes, I can go with the bowls, as they're large enough (and flat enough in the middle) that it still leaves plenty of room for presentation - and, more importantly, place to maneuver food for cutting.

As for the pasta - it's penne rigate with pancetta, portabello mushrooms, and basil.

-- Jay aka Fut

Michlerish

Well-Known TRIBEr
Only if you feel like sharing... how much were the plates, with the 20% off?

I have a dark grey stoneware set, but over the past 5 years, I've broken 1 mug, 2 bowls, there's a large chip in 1 bowl, another mug got a large crack down the side and had to be thrown out.... stoneware is heavy and fragile. I'm ready for something new... provided it's a reasonable price (can't be wasting money on plates at the moment :p )

futronic

TRIBE Member
No problem at all.

Here were the discounted prices:

Plates: $6.39
Bowls: $11.99
Side plates: $2.07

+ taxes.

The regular prices were $7.99, $14.99, and $2.59, respectively.

Not sure if you can get 20% off for smaller quantities, but I'm sure you could get some sort of discount if you asked.

Considering that other plates I looked at (for what I wanted) would have cost me over $800 (some much, much more than that), I was quite happy to pay $280 all in for everything I got.

-- Jay aka Fut

futronic

TRIBE Member
Back on track. A nice simple dinner tonight:

872140365_5227c9b1b5_o.jpg

Homemade pancetta-cure bacon with tomatoes, mozzarella di bufala, and grainy dijon mustard.

-- Jay aka Fut

futronic

TRIBE Member
This stuff I got at Pusateri's, but I usually get it at Scheffler's at the St. Lawrence Market.

I didn't make the baguette - stopped at Bonour Brioche this morning for bread, croissants, and pain au chocolat.

I was hungry, so I made another half sandwich as above.

-- Jay aka Fut

futronic

TRIBE Member
Dinner tonight:

890122316_92cb5de300_o.jpg

Smoked elk sausage, roasted gold beets, and wilted beet greens.

The roasted beets were fantastic, and the beet greens weren't close behind. The sausage was so-so.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Beets and greens are a sumer fave 'round these parts too! It's like 2 veggies for the price of one! (and meets the one from above, one from below rule)

vox

TRIBE Member
i sent you a pm. you might have been jostling with the boy for zucchini blossoms (he took 30!!!)

here is a prototype dessert i made on the weekend:
n804500690_861945_8210.jpg

layered semifreddo - rum and coffee soaked ladyfingers with a gianduja semifreddo and a sweet cream semifreddo. it's supposed to be a take on tiramisu but in semifreddo form.

i should have soaked the ladyfingers more (as you can see) and i think in the future, instead of coffee (which makes them too icy) i'm going to soak the biscuits in a mixture of mostly cream and kahlua with some instant espresso...i'm hoping the fat and alcohol content will prevent them from over-freezing as they did. otherwise, i was very happy with my sweet cream and gianduja layer.

futronic

TRIBE Member
Mercy: Unfortunately there was no jostling. :( All the blossoms were gone before I could get there :mad:

The dessert looks good. I think you're going down the right road with more cream and alcohol. What happens if you use more of a cake-like biscuit as opposed to the savoiardi biscuit that's hard?

-- Jay aka Fut

Big Cheese

TRIBE Member
if 'yall want another hit on the zuc blossom tip since riverdale sounds dry, friday afternoon @ Woodbine Center way up in the rex has a market i think from noon'ish to 6pm and last week they had them kicking around.

i'm sick of them (due to work) already so no worries about hording them

anyways

this belongs in NC but since its a foodie thing... anybody who pays for a $55 steak and wants it Pittsburgh style needs a swift kick to the junk

futronic

TRIBE Member
Woodbine Centre is faaaaaar as well, but thanks for the tip, Greg.

WTF is with the $55 steak Pittsburgh Style?

-- Jay aka Fut

Big Cheese

TRIBE Member
rollers with big balls who want to impress their clients me thinks...

like i don't even get it, this bozo also ordered a fucking 3 bill bottle of cali cab with it. why? no really, why? because your a goddamn fool, thats why.

i'll stop, anywho.. how much were the sugar beets going for jay?

futronic

TRIBE Member
Greg - if that happens again, call me. I'll pop up to the restaurant and slap the patron in the mouth. :p

The sugar beets were $3 a bunch - about 6-7 small beets per.

Hopefully you're able to make it later on tomorrow.

-- Jay aka Fut

Big Cheese

TRIBE Member
yeah i'll hollah @ cha when i get off, decide for me because i can't

i either bring an moscato d'asti or a touraine sav blanc?

kel, its charring the fuck out of the outside of the steak and keeping it rare/blue on the inside

most people know it as "black n' blue", but since we get alot of yanks in @ work for biz dinners they usually ask for it by city name: chicago, pittsburg, kansas city

Last edited: