• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

the flaming lips

Plato

TRIBE Member
a classmate recently lent me 'yoshimi battles the pink robots' by the flaming lips.
its fucking incredible!!!
:eek:

this is the same band that did "she don't use jelly"!? wow they've gotten so much better!

crazy concept album filled of lush space rock and sprinkled with enough electronics to keep things interesting and modern.

plus the song thats just screaming (yoshimi battles the pink robots part 2) is great! hahaha!

so has anyone else bothered to pick this up? its really good, electronic folk space rock. yay!

and those who have heard it, what else from the flaming lips catalouge is this good or has the same sound?

thanks.

N30-p[l]a+0

seeker

TRIBE Member
I picked this up back in the summer. I remember that all the critics were fawning over it last year, which made me wary. Anyway, it was on sale, so I gave it a listen. I was pleasantly surprised.

Definitely worth checking out if your feeling anything in the electronic/indie-pop vein lately.

Jennika

TRIBE Member
they are a fantastic group. I also only really got into them because of Yoshimi but I am very impressed.

check out the wikkid track they do with the Chemical brothers... they played it live at the Europe MTV awards recently as well. It's called "the golden Path" I think

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

sweetdaddy

TRIBE Member
Flaming Lips are definitly a phenomenal band.

'Soft Bulletin" is a must have album for sure!!!

"the golden Path" with chemical brothers is great!!

they re making a christmas movie for next year called "christmas on mars". i saw a trailer for it on their website....weird stuff.

PLATO....i know the buzz you're feeling....a friend lent me "soft bulletin" about 3 years ago and I was so converted right their on the spot into a big fan.

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

windowlicker

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Plato

this is the same band that did "she don't use jelly"!? wow they've gotten so much better!
many flaming lips purists are not too fond of what they have evolved into- they see 'the soft bulletin' as the point where they lost their trademark sound and went all bizarre and experimental (the way that hardcore radiohead fans are not too big on kid A, etc and see bends as best album)

anyway don't knock 'she don't use jelly'- I have the album with that song and it's loads of fun- absolutely phenomenal

windowlicker

TRIBE Member
ps- typical pre evolved flaming lips includes a four album package- four versions of the same album meant to be played simultaneously- definately worth checking out

seeker

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: the flaming lips

Originally posted by windowlicker
many flaming lips purists are not too fond of what they have evolved into- they see 'the soft bulletin' as the point where they lost their trademark sound and went all bizarre and experimental (the way that hardcore radiohead fans are not too big on kid A, etc and see bends as best album)
this is funny, esp. since they have a comp called "Finally the Punks Are Taking Acid" showing how they were always fuXX0red. :)

But I agree about the Radiohead thing...

note: I'm not poking anyone deliberately, here, just making an observation. ;)

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

windowlicker

TRIBE Member
I don't neccessarily agree with people thinking that flaming lips 'sold out' or 'went experimental'- just commenting that a lot of people don't think they've improved since 'she don't use jelly'

music is music I guess- its dumb in my opinion to resent a band for seeking to evolve their sound

windowlicker

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Re: the flaming lips

Originally posted by seeker
this is funny, esp. since they have a comp called "Finally the Punks Are Taking Acid" showing how they were always fuXX0red. :)
yeah I agree- people also tend to assume that they were stereotypical grunge band who 'went experimental' when, like you said, they've always been pretty out there

Tearer

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by windowlicker
ps- typical pre evolved flaming lips includes a four album package- four versions of the same album meant to be played simultaneously- definately worth checking out
Zaireeka

tobywan

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by sweetdaddy

"the golden Path" with chemical brothers is great!!
The performance of that track live on the MTV Euro Awards a little while back was nothing short of specatacular....and they were fantastic at the SARS concert back in the summer as well.

T.O.B'