• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!
14K Cannabis seed slider pendants by tribe

The first crowdfunded public transit bus in Toronto!

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
So now people are taking matters into their own hands to get from Liberty Village to downtown to avoid waiting for the streetcar that never arrives.

Is this the beginning of private public transit?

Will we soon see a deluge of minibus taxis like in Durban South Africa?

Lojack

TRIBE Member
Private buses maybe, but the TTC has the right (as ordered by the Crown in the 19th century) to public transit in Toronto, so any type of service which crosses that boundary will result in a law suit and shut down of the service.

kuba

TRIBE Member
I'm sure a savvy start-up can get around the 19th century legislation.

I was thinking about this yesterday actually - how smart it would be for people who gather at the same bus stop every day for the same bus to get their shit together and start getting a private minibus.

Primavera

TRIBE Member
I think it's not a terrible idea to be honest

Liberty Village is kind of a tough little pocket of the city that isn't serviced that well by the TTC. There isn't a lot of transit on East Liberty and the King St is a notorious shitshow.

If people within those million condos want to try and pay for their own bus service to the downtown core, why not?

Tribe 14K gold cannabis seed slider pendant and chain

kuba

TRIBE Member
I am surprised corporations don't bandy together and get private bus service going to/from core pockets of downtown.

derek

TRIBE Member
I'm sure a savvy start-up can get around the 19th century legislation.

I was thinking about this yesterday actually - how smart it would be for people who gather at the same bus stop every day for the same bus to get their shit together and start getting a private minibus.

yeah, just ask uber how that working for them getting around regulations for taxi services.

won't be that easy.

kuba

TRIBE Member
Uber is wildly successful and eventually will get their way, or a slight modification of it.

Companies and governments operating under 19th century legislation will see forced change sooner or later.

acheron

TRIBE Member
That party bus is too nice - I wonder what it would cost to run a school bus back and forth from union station on a weekly basis. Sort of like the U of T Scarborough Campus shuttle or the Hospital employees shuttles.

SJN

TRIBE Member
Wait, you mean there isn't sufficient infrastructure to support the bazillions of condos and townhouses that sprouted in a small area in a short amount of time? Just wait until the Liberty Villagers start having kids and realize there are no schools to send them to.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
Wait, you mean there isn't sufficient infrastructure to support the bazillions of condos and townhouses that sprouted in a small area in a short amount of time? Just wait until the Liberty Villagers start having kids and realize there are no schools to send them to.
i think there is a word for that.

TWATS

Yep found it, its right up there.

hope everyone can see it.

coleridge

TRIBE Member
This is nothing new. There are already condos that have private buses paid for through their condo fees that shuttle them to and from the downtown. Those older buildings at the mouth of the Humber are a good example.

The other thing that gets me is that you can walk to Union in 25 mins. I have to think during rush hour that's maybe only 10 minutes longer than it is to take this private bus.

derek

TRIBE Member
Uber is wildly successful and eventually will get their way, or a slight modification of it.

Companies and governments operating under 19th century legislation will see forced change sooner or later.
it will cost them more than you think. they've run into challenges in NYC, San Fran, Toronto; just to name a few.

I applaud them for it and embrace the change. it's won't be easy or cheap though.

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
I've been wondering about this for a few years. There are a couple of schools in parkdale, and there is one elementary school just northeast (20-30 min walk for a full-grown adult, mroe for a small child), but they would all have to be bussed there. Perhaps when the demographic has totally shifted, they'll close one of the bars and start a public school right in liberty village. :D

coleridge

TRIBE Member
I've been wondering about this for a few years. There are a couple of schools in parkdale, and there is one elementary school just northeast (20-30 min walk for a full-grown adult, mroe for a small child), but they would all have to be bussed there. Perhaps when the demographic has totally shifted, they'll close one of the bars and start a public school right in liberty village. :D
Schools are worked into the equation,

The final development block of Cityplace is currently under design; it includes the public school.

Similarly, I believe the school block for Liberty Village is also under design. Where it is exactly I don't know though.

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
It's like the early/mid 90's Rave Scene. Instead of catching the shuttle bus at Union Station, now they catch it to Union Station.

KickIT

TRIBE Member
Phase 1 of SmartTrack should be get a damn training running on the Go Line between the Ex and Union.