• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The Fine Automobile Thread

defazman

TRIBE Member
I'm tempted to pick up a Subaru, but I just can't get over not wanting a car that's made over seas and crated here. Later this year I'll need a larger vehicle than my csx, and something that can handle shitty six month winters. I wish they still made the Element, may need to pick up a second one second hand.

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

octo

TRIBE Member
this a 2008
2008 Subaru Legacy GT Spec B

this a 2007
2007 Subaru Legacy Spec B.

these are random pics that i found online

Nyomi_004.jpg

V3-60602005.jpg

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Fillmore

TRIBE Member
If you can drive standard, come into Toronto and you can test drive mine and have fun vs sitting with a sales rep :D

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
I think you need to get over it. The South Koreans have jumped to the top in terms of quality.

In turn it should be mentioned that Mercedes, BMW and Audi lately have been near the bottom when it comes to reliability.

What do you mean by top? Sure, they make something comparable to top-class automakers in terms of options and power, but they're still unproved. Also, it also depends what you're comparing.

The stench of the stigma from the shit they produced in the late 90's and early 2000's was an embarassment. I'd still be embarassed to by a Hyundai or Kia. Valve issues, headgasket problems, premature clutch failure, complete engine detonation within 10K kms, etc. I hate on them cause they made an abomination of a vehicle. But hey, slap a warranty on it, sell it for cheap, and people will buy it.

I'm not a big fan of BMW, Audi, or Mercedes either. Not too sure why you mentioned that. Hello E46 M3 vanos issues?

Hyundai and Kia offer an average vehicle, price their vehicles in the middle of the pack in their respective classes, but load up their vehicles with all the options so it appeals to buyers.

What I think you need to do is not get so touchy about what other people think about the brand of car you own.

Granted, Hyundai and Kia have made large strides over the last decade, but it hasn't been long enough for me to change my opinion about them given the shit they shat out a decade ago. You can argue, "a decade ago? Please, it's been so long." Yeah, it's been a while, but what does that argue? They've only recently in the last 3-4 years come out with something that doesn't stink of shit. They'll need another 10 to prove themselves as a reliable brand.

Just cause you win 1 superbowl ring doesn't mean you should be in the Hall of Fame.

malcolm33

TRIBE Member
What do you mean by top? Sure, they make something comparable to top-class automakers in terms of options and power, but they're still unproved. Also, it also depends what you're comparing.

The stench of the stigma from the shit they produced in the late 90's and early 2000's was an embarassment. I'd still be embarassed to by a Hyundai or Kia. Valve issues, headgasket problems, premature clutch failure, complete engine detonation within 10K kms, etc. I hate on them cause they made an abomination of a vehicle. But hey, slap a warranty on it, sell it for cheap, and people will buy it.

I'm not a big fan of BMW, Audi, or Mercedes either. Not too sure why you mentioned that. Hello E46 M3 vanos issues?

Hyundai and Kia offer an average vehicle, price their vehicles in the middle of the pack in their respective classes, but load up their vehicles with all the options so it appeals to buyers.

What I think you need to do is not get so touchy about what other people think about the brand of car you own.

Granted, Hyundai and Kia have made large strides over the last decade, but it hasn't been long enough for me to change my opinion about them given the shit they shat out a decade ago. You can argue, "a decade ago? Please, it's been so long." Yeah, it's been a while, but what does that argue? They've only recently in the last 3-4 years come out with something that doesn't stink of shit. They'll need another 10 to prove themselves as a reliable brand.

Just cause you win 1 superbowl ring doesn't mean you should be in the Hall of Fame.

But dude, what about all those J.D. Power & Associates awards?!?!

Seriously though, he was referring to reliability; however, I'd rather take my chances on something that's fun to drive (like my current '06 A4 S-Line) over a dead reliable appliance (Camry, Hyundai, etc.). I may eat those words in a year or two. :p

coleridge

TRIBE Member
What do you mean by top? Sure, they make something comparable

Hahaha. I drive an 11 year old Honda Civic that I will be replacing this year.

Despite my defence of Hyundai and Kia on here ... in the end I too have no desire to own one again because of the name stigma. I can't bring myself to say I drive a "Hyundai" despite how nice the car might be. But for people who are just looking for the best value car for the money I would recommend them along with the majority of automobile journalists it seems.

I commute over 100km a day and my crappy base model Civic has been a rock solid little car that is still relatively low in mileage. There's nothing really wrong with it but I'm tired of driving something so boring when I can afford so much more. I'm an enthusiast of cars yet the practical side of me has always rationalized that they are a massive waste of money, a rapidly depreciating asset. But my inner 16 year old would be so ashamed of what I've become...

Right now I'm looking at probably a Ford Focus as my daily driver. I never in my life thought I'd ever be interested in an American product. But there's a testament to how name stigma can be overcome.

I spent the first 10 years of my driving life driving a completely impractical 2-door convertible in the summers. I didn't realize how much I missed that car until I rented a Porsche Boxster S on a vacation last year. So the wife and I are looking at a summer car, either a 911 or the new Boxster S.

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
Personally, I don't feel comfortable owning any vehicle that I can't fix on my own. I've always been... practical (read: cheap) like that. Also part of the reason why I don't buy vehicles new.

Part of the reason why I wanted to restore the 4Runner I picked up. Learn how to take apart an engine and put it back together. It ran fine, but if I'm going to take apart the body and strip the thing down, I figured to rebuild the top end.

I'll be stuck driving a Honda the rest of my life. Who knows? One day, I might splurge on that STi that I've always wanted.

I love my Hondas, though. Owned one ever since day 1. 1990 CRX Si, 1995 v6 Accord, 2000 SiR, 2003 civic dx, and now a 2006 v6 honda accord (2dr). If they made a proper SUV, I'm sure I would have bought one. I almost feel like I sold out by getting the 4Runner.

defazman

TRIBE Member
The Element is a proper SUV, and at the top of Honda quality. OK, it's only a proper city SUV, but it's soo dam good at it.

Balzz

TRIBE Member
I had a rental Focus a few weeks ago and I have to say given a manual tran, it would've been a fun car. Ford's been impressing me lately with their ecoboost engines and their new cars. Love the Fusion, and even the mustang. Only gripe is that SYNC bites the big one. I thought Clarkson's SYNC issues on top gear were hyperbole but it is truly frustrating to use first hand.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Personally, I don't feel comfortable owning any vehicle that I can't fix on my own. I've always been... practical (read: cheap) like that. Also part of the reason why I don't buy vehicles new.

Part of the reason why I wanted to restore the 4Runner I picked up. Learn how to take apart an engine and put it back together. It ran fine, but if I'm going to take apart the body and strip the thing down, I figured to rebuild the top end.

I'll be stuck driving a Honda the rest of my life. Who knows? One day, I might splurge on that STi that I've always wanted.

I love my Hondas, though. Owned one ever since day 1. 1990 CRX Si, 1995 v6 Accord, 2000 SiR, 2003 civic dx, and now a 2006 v6 honda accord (2dr). If they made a proper SUV, I'm sure I would have bought one. I almost feel like I sold out by getting the 4Runner.

90 CRX! Nice. I had an 82 prelude and a 88 Accord EXi 2 dr which I think might still hold the record for the most miles I've personally put on a car before I got something else. I even got that one on the track once.

The Element IS a decent SUV, but it's no 4runner. I considered one actually when I got the runner but it wasn't what I needed. (too small, no real off road capability- and stupid honda resale making more than I wanted to spend!)

Last edited:

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
Shit. When you mentioned it, I forgot I owned an 88 prelude for, like, all of a weekend lol

What can I say? I love my Hondas. I'd think about a Ridgeline but I'd get an Ecoboost before a ridgeline.

Vise

TRIBE Member
Picked up my new ride on Tuesday... as much as I'll miss the M3 having 481hp from 6.2L of V8 goodness is putting a big grin on my face every day. :)