• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

The Fine Automobile Thread

Balzz

TRIBE Member
This was my fun commute last Friday. Gotta watch out for those clear sunny days. :rolleyes:

[YOUTUBE]oxD8U_Dg7Kw[/YOUTUBE]

Vise

TRIBE Member
Anecdotal. General sentiment across the majority of reviews gives it top marks. As Jake said, different strokes...
Hence the IMO and yes different strokes... just felt the Tesla circle jerk in here needed a different opinion. :D

Of course it is my perspective but clearly I skew towards the traditional driving excitement/enjoyment factor over the tech/cool factor. Call me when they come out with a car you can to to the track for more than 10mins or so. Or I guess when tracks have a Supercharger on site. :D

Seriously though I'd echo that guy's comments on the weight, grip, and steering feel... it just feels a bit artificial to me. Or maybe just different than my expectations for a performance car. Yes it is absolutely an amazing achievement in many ways but I still wouldn't take one over a Cayman or even a C63S. I guess it is apples to oranges but I look at it in terms of what else I can spend my $100-120k on... as cool as it is I wouldn't buy one (Model S specifically) myself.

I'm also interested in seeing how they overcome the charging situation for some. The Model 3 would actually be a great car for my wife given she does a short distance commute, Leslieville to downtown. It should be peppy with lots of interior space for when we go shopping etc etc. That said my concern is how she would charge it... she street parks (my car goes in the garage of course) and I don't think it is feasible/realistic to string a cable across the sidewalk?

Balzz

TRIBE Member
Looks like bumper, diffuser and exhaust will need to be replaced. They haven't taken the bumper off yet to check for damage underneath.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
Hence the IMO and yes different strokes... just felt the Tesla circle jerk in here needed a different opinion. :D

Of course it is my perspective but clearly I skew towards the traditional driving excitement/enjoyment factor over the tech/cool factor. Call me when they come out with a car you can to to the track for more than 10mins or so. Or I guess when tracks have a Supercharger on site. :D

Seriously though I'd echo that guy's comments on the weight, grip, and steering feel... it just feels a bit artificial to me. Or maybe just different than my expectations for a performance car. Yes it is absolutely an amazing achievement in many ways but I still wouldn't take one over a Cayman or even a C63S. I guess it is apples to oranges but I look at it in terms of what else I can spend my $100-120k on... as cool as it is I wouldn't buy one (Model S specifically) myself.

I'm also interested in seeing how they overcome the charging situation for some. The Model 3 would actually be a great car for my wife given she does a short distance commute, Leslieville to downtown. It should be peppy with lots of interior space for when we go shopping etc etc. That said my concern is how she would charge it... she street parks (my car goes in the garage of course) and I don't think it is feasible/realistic to string a cable across the sidewalk?
If she's driving from Lville to DT everyday she wouldn't need to charge it very often consdiering it gets over 300km to the tank so to speak. She would be fine charging at night at home once or twice a week so you'd still have the garage.

for a visual consider this look at all these charging stations

Balzz

TRIBE Member
Hopefully you're back on the road in time for the good weather! Did you get a good rental at least?
I've got an Infiniti Q50. Nice to be able to park anywhere and give no fucks about getting dinged. Also nice is being able to mash the throttle like an idiot without the car trying to kill me.

Vise

TRIBE Member
Looks like bumper, diffuser and exhaust will need to be replaced. They haven't taken the bumper off yet to check for damage underneath.
That sucks but it could always be worse. Hopefully BMW will sort you out with a decent rental too and something better than the X1 I had when my M3 got written off.

If you don't have it already maybe chip in the difference for the M Performance Exhaust or even an Akrapovic?

If she's driving from Lville to DT everyday she wouldn't need to charge it very often consdiering it gets over 300km to the tank so to speak. She would be fine charging at night at home once or twice a week so you'd still have the garage.

for a visual consider this look at all these charging stations
Yeah good point. In reading into it a bit looks like overnight loss not plugged in is only 1% so not a huge deal. That said no chance she even gets one night in the garage. :)

We'll see what the future holds I guess, getting a Model 3 at this point is not realistic given her current lease is up early 2017. With current pre-orders probably looking at 2019/2020 before you can actually buy one so lots of time to figure it out.

By then the Porsche Mission E should be on the market too... that looks really, really interesting.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
That sucks but it could always be worse. Hopefully BMW will sort you out with a decent rental too and something better than the X1 I had when my M3 got written off.

If you don't have it already maybe chip in the difference for the M Performance Exhaust or even an Akrapovic?

Yeah good point. In reading into it a bit looks like overnight loss not plugged in is only 1% so not a huge deal. That said no chance she even gets one night in the garage. :)

We'll see what the future holds I guess, getting a Model 3 at this point is not realistic given her current lease is up early 2017. With current pre-orders probably looking at 2019/2020 before you can actually buy one so lots of time to figure it out.

By then the Porsche Mission E should be on the market too... that looks really, really interesting.
you have great taste the C63S is my favorite car ATM

kennyboy

TRIBE Member
Thoughts on the Audi SQ5?

Thinking of making a change from the Toyota SUV to something a little smaller and sportier.

Either that or I keep my current ride and get a new Honda Fit to replace our current one, which I love to drive. I'd like to go back to manual but it's my wife's day to day drive so she may disagree with me on this one.

Vise

TRIBE Member
you have great taste the C63S is my favorite car ATM
I actually haven't driven the W205 but I should call my guy at Mercedes to give it a shot... 600hp+ with headers + tune is absolutely ridiculous so that is right up my alley. The M3 sedan is better looking IMO and the M-DCT is clearly the better transmission... but the engine + sound of the Merc is epic.

Thoughts on the Audi SQ5?
Aside from my general hatred of SUVs that isn't a bad ride. Looks rather nice in Sepang Blue with the 21" wheels and Diamond stitched leather. I configured one for my wife prior to her yelling at my that she hates SUVs as well. :)

In that general area though I'd strongly consider the Porsche Macan S... looks even better in Sapphire Blue with the RS Spyder wheels. It will be more than the Audi with options but of course it will be. I'd say the price premium would be worth it though.

kennyboy

TRIBE Member
Macan looks like a nice option.

Will need to take a serious look into that. I can see myself getting optioned from a 60k to 80 k car in a few clicks of the mouse.

At least I've got solid trade in value on the current ride so there is a bit of saving grace.

Vise

TRIBE Member
Yeah, I think with restraint you could keep a Macan S around $70k and it would be a nice ride. I have a co-worker that just got a Macan Turbo, somehow he kept it to $100k which looks tough... seems like crazy money for a compact SUV but such is Porsche. Believe it or not the experience is worth it. :)

If you need a Porsche contact let me know, my sales guy left Pfaff recently but I know some others over there.

stargurl*

TRIBE Member
On Tesla: we did our first test drive (of the Roadster) just about 5 years ago now. Since then we've done at least two Model S test drives. Just before pulling the trigger on ordering my new car (for the second time - long story), we did the math and figured out that the Model S wouldn't cost all that much more, especially once you adjust the price for only having to pay for electricity and not fuel. But they're really big cars, which isn't what I'm into.

That being said, we were always really impressed by the Teslas, and we've put a deposit down for the Model 3.

As for my new car... Ordered in October when it was announced, but at the end of January we got a letter from the dealership saying that they wouldn't be able to deliver any time in 2016, and because of this we'd be able to cancel the order with no penalty. In the end, the dealership agreed to sell us their showroom car, which they had been planning on keeping. They let us configure it how we'd wanted, and now it's been built and is in Belgium, parked at a secured lot until they're all released by BMW. Should be at the dealership early next week! We don't get to take it home until mid-May though, since it has to stay in the showroom until then. Can't wait!

kennyboy

TRIBE Member
Not sure that I could ever go with an electric or any sort of green car.

Not to say that I don't try to do my part but I was raised on big block engines and I still love the sound and feel of stepping on the gas and hearing the engine rev.

Yes, you can quote all the performance you want, but my Plymouth Grand Fury III and Dodge Coronet were cars that were so nice and easy to drive. Very unasuming to look at but so nice to drive, especially when you needed to step on the unleaded gas pedal and bump it up to to 100 mph on the 401.

If I could only get back all my old cars.

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
they need to nickname this The Ninja.
i wonder what engine they put in this ?

the U.S. loves not putting POLICE anywhere on their vehicles.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
Not sure, i believe that is the reason why they couldnt do the 5 door Tesla 3, but i also think i see it open, so doubtful it can be one piece.