• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The Fine Automobile Thread

Vise

TRIBE Member
Why is this a general life story I hear from everyone who's ever owned a BMW and why do you continue to buy them?

I'm asking as a person who really wants to buy a BMW but all I hear or read is about how terrible they are for reliability.
Although my experience does not include any of the FI (turbo) models I had pretty much zero issues having driven BMWs from late 2005 through early 2013. The only thing that really stands out was a check engine light on my 2008 M3 shortly after delivery that was fixed by replacing some sensors. My sample size is small of course and I never put heavy mileage on any of my cars either.

Per JD Power looks like BMW is above average for initial quality but only average for dependability... they are not Lexus by any means but their cars are also a hell of a lot more interesting to drive so fair trade off IMO.

There is however upside in that BMW is (or at least, was) the last manufacturer to offer no charge scheduled maintenance during the warranty period... in 8 years or so I spent $0 on automotive maintenance/service so no complaints. For a new car that is usually only an oil change per year but still, with German cars an oil change at the dealer can be pricey (see 9 litres of 10w60 at $15-20/litre in my M3 plus filter/labour). Figure it will save $200-300 per year or so... which is of course offset by the BMW price premium over the competition. :D

That said the HPFP issues on the N54 (and N55 I believe) were extremely widespread and lead to a fairly significant recall... I remember it was a huge deal 4-5 years ago but not sure if it continues to be an issue. Could be what you're referring to?

Long way of saying I wouldn't let quality concerns prevent me from driving a BMW. Just lease and ditch it after 3-4 years and you'll be golden...

Had a visit today...this is gonna be a long few days before I pick it up.
Awesome,that is one classy/unique blue... looking forward to more pics!

Last edited:
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Fillmore

TRIBE Member
Balzz...that car is simply amazing! After reading your post about your trade in my wife and I spent some time on youtube looking up the new M3/4. Absolutely beautiful cars. May have to add that to the wish list for the next vehicle.

I especially like this color and the concave wheels. Just finishes the car off so nicely.

Congrats again!

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Fillmore

TRIBE Member
These questions have popped up recently on a few car forums. Usually sparks some good conversation and its interesting to see others thoughts...

Let's say you had a three-car garage. How would you fill it? Of course, the parameters:

1. One car has to be your toy.
2. One car has to be your daily driver.
3. One car has to be a daily driver for your significant other.

And the catch: One of the daily drivers has to be practical. Go!

For me:

1) 1967 GT500 Shelby - Eleanor
2) Mercedes Benz S63
3) Mercedes Benz G63

Balzz

TRIBE Member
Thanks guys, I haven't stopped grinning. :D

And for Fillmore's game

1) GT3 RS (there really is no other choice here, anything else anyone chooses sucks. sorrynotsorry)
2) X5M
3) P85D

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
These questions have popped up recently on a few car forums. Usually sparks some good conversation and its interesting to see others thoughts...

Let's say you had a three-car garage. How would you fill it? Of course, the parameters:

Well it just so happens I DO have a 3 car garage and here's how I filled it.

Toy(ota) 4runner
Saturn LW200 (my DD)
1990 Volvo 740Turbo (wife's DD)

If I had to fill it with someone else's money I might do it differently:

Toy- Alfa romeo C33 Stradale, or maybe a turbocharged 911 RS America.
My DD- GMC Sierra 2500HD
Wife DD- E63 wagon

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

squidly

TRIBE Member

lurking on a slow day I figured I'd add here. (Beautiful M4 btw I had a 3 series in that blue and it's still my favourite factory colour from any automaker)

1. 1975 BMW 3.0 csl (monaco blue obviously)
2. 2009 BMW 545 wagon
3. Range Rover evoque autobiography

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4 gts ( always been my fav of the porsches )
2015 Jag xj supercharged awd / 2016 Caddy CTS-v
2015 Mercedes GLA45 amg

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member

djfear

TRIBE Member
1. Continental GT3-R (as DD + track :p)
2. Landcruiser BJ45
3. Daytona 675r (track) / HP4 / F1200 GS / custom cafe racer (dd around town)

... I can fit 4 motorcycles in that 3rd parking spot. :p

Fillmore

TRIBE Member
haha 4 bikes in one parking spot! Love it.

Great responses guys! Its cool to see two Tesla's on the lists. Also I_Brad...I love that E63 Estate.

Squidly, why a "2009" 545 wagon? Was that one of the only years it was made?

squidly

TRIBE Member
haha 4 bikes in one parking spot! Love it.

Great responses guys! Its cool to see two Tesla's on the lists. Also I_Brad...I love that E63 Estate.

Squidly, why a "2009" 545 wagon? Was that one of the only years it was made?
no they've made it pretty much from the 70s until the last couple of years. the 5 series in NA now has the "gt" body style which looks kind of like an x6 thats been shrunk. I like the e60 and also the previous generation so I wouldn't be terribly choosey. Also from my experience with bmw the less tech-heavy the car is the less time I will spend in their shuttle bus to work.

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
Man... if we're allowed to dream.

1) 1972 Nissan Skyline 2000 GT (Hakosuka) with a VR28DETT and Blitz manual conversion (I don't care if the manual makes it slower)
2) 1955 Ford F100 with an LS1 crate engine... blown :p
3) Audi RS8 wagon

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
I'm divided now. I want to add stuff on there like an Ariel Atom, a Koenigsegg agera R, and... I dunno. That 6-wheeled Mercedes would be neat for the wife (i.e. our winter vehicle), but the practicality goes out the window -you'd never be able to park in a parkade for the rest of your life.

djfear

TRIBE Member
I think if I could afford those cars then I wouldn't want to live in Ontario. It's way too flat and straight. Give me those California corners!

But who am I kidding, I don't even own a vehicle at the moment, I shouldn't even be posting in this thread. :p

Btw, what are everyone's thoughts on the WRX STI's? Are they worth the hoopla? Fun to drive in comparison to other things you're driving now? And while we're on the subject of dream cars... what car would you drive around North America in? I'm talking like... Toronto --> Alaska --> California --> Utah --> Florida --> New England --> Newfoundland --> Back home.