• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

The Fine Automobile Thread

Balzz

TRIBE Member
Hang on a sec, Vise, how many times have you been to a track? Edit: Never mind, I don't even know what's been debated about in here. Do we like Porsches or not?

Balzz

TRIBE Member
I know what you are saying, but I think even a monkey and a 360 hp Porsche could beat anyone in a Honda with only 180 hp or less.
Not really, but the Porsche driver would probably come up with the most creative excuses!

Vise

TRIBE Member
Hang on a sec, Vise, how many times have you been to a track? Edit: Never mind, I don't even know what's been debated about in here. Do we like Porsches or not?
Well not as many times as you obviously, just a couple times at Mosport DDT with the M3 guys. I do of course participate fully in online discourse on the matter as well. :D

Anyways I think we're actually all in agreement, the 911 is a great car full stop. It does hurt me somewhat in that Porsche as a brand is being diluted (Cayenne, Macan, even Panamera) and that these days the 911 is more of a status symbol than anything else. Based on my limited sample size (live in Leslieville, work downtown, in the financial district multiple times daily) the many 911s I see everyday are generally being babied by old dudes and women. That is a sweeping generalization of course but whatever, this thread is full of them.

Perhaps this is just me venting my frustration that what should be my next car (991 GT3) is unobtainable in the near term. :)

Vise

TRIBE Member
if not. i'll have to get something else. maybe Mazda 3. maybe i'll join the wanker ranks and get a bmw (328 touring).
Back on subject... don't discount the F30 328i, although it doesn't make the best noises that turbo four makes a ton of power/torque and of course the 3 series is a lovely driving car. Not as nice as the E90 generation but I'm biased.

In terms of wankers, plenty of d-bags driving Audis/Mercs too... I'd say the current wanker mobile is the Audi A5 2.0T, pretty easy to spot as it is almost always debadged.

Of course we've already clarified that the ultimate cock-mobile is the Porsche 911... :D

kuba

TRIBE Member
I'd be curious to know how many people who want, and can afford, a 911, would opt for the current vette. My guess would be very very very few, probably 5% or less.

It's like saying "whoa, you'd pay $800,000 to live in leslieville? in a semi?? man! for $800,000 you could live in a house 2x as big in aurora! Dude you're crazy!"

Vise

TRIBE Member
I'd be curious to know how many people who want, and can afford, a 911, would opt for the current vette. My guess would be very very very few, probably 5% or less.
I think people looking for a legitimate sports car would cross shop the two for sure. If you're buying a 911 as a status symbol as most tend to do then you're correct though.

I do agree that the last gen Corvette has a midlife crisis stigma to it... but the Z06 and ZR1 are not in that group. To me the base 911 Carrera (and convertible in particular) is no different than an automatic convertible Vette, status symbol/penis enlargement and nothing more.

I would! For a z06 of course. Or the eventual yet unannounced zr1.
The new Z06 is going to be ridiculous, if the power figures are true it will be on par with the prior ZR1. I was never a fan of the previous gen Corvette but the new Stingray is pretty legit. I'd expect the Z06 will be 911 Turbo levels of performance for half the price.

This image ended up being a fake but potential render of the Z06...

kuba

TRIBE Member
You also have to love the look of a front engine sports car vs rear. Personally I don't like the balance in this case vs a 911 but I'm not buying either, ever, so who cares what I think.

Vise

TRIBE Member
Why not, if you're a car guy at some point you need to make the holy grail purchase happen. Life is too short not to.

If I don't end up with a 911 GT3 in my early forties my life will have been a failure. :D