1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

The Eternal Video Game Thread

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Evil Dynovac, Jan 14, 2004.

1. --[Zirca]--

--[Zirca]-- TRIBE Promoter

Yes guy!

These games were sick and some of my favourites. Out of This World was so unique/different to many other platformers during that time. I'd say Oddworld/Abe's are the closest to these.

2. coleridge

coleridge TRIBE Member

Great game! I replayed it a few months back.

I think you can get it for free at: http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/74/Flashback.html

3. workdowntown

workdowntown TRIBE Member

Oh good call, the Abe's odyssey series did pretty much have the same feel/control system.

Man, the rotoscoped graphics for Another world and Flashback were legendary back then, no other game on a home system had anything quite like it and those easy, intuitive controls? Awesome.

4. workdowntown

Oh, nice find. I might have to DL this, though not sure if keyboard control will be as sweet.

5. Rajio

Rajio Well-Known TRIBEr

is anybody here involved with a canadian game developer or publisher? pm me!

6. KiFe

KiFe TRIBE Member

what about rajio?

7. KodiaK

KodiaK TRIBE Member

dont forget the old Blizzard game: Blackthorne

which was totally fucking BADASS clone of flashback/out of this world

except you had a shotgun, and guys died violently

8. Rajio

Rajio Well-Known TRIBEr

couple things - A: doing writeups about canadian developers and their products. and B: contacting publishers for media pr contacts for my site (for review/preview materials) .. already got a few on my list but need more. i'm expanding my reviews of games/books/movies/gadgets soon.

9. Stan

Stan TRIBE Member

I jerked off into a box and sent it to John Romero once. Does that count?

10. workdowntown

I felt that one was more like Turrican (also great) back in the day.

11. Rajio

Rajio Well-Known TRIBEr

depends what you mean by 'into a box'

12. Colm

Colm TRIBE Member

I tried it out. I'm at the civilization stage, which is pretty good. All in all though I enjoyed the cellular level the most thus far. It was just such a departure, however simplistic, and thus a lot of fun.

13. Stan

Stan TRIBE Member

It was a cardboard box, for Daikatana. I figure it was an improvement on the original contents.

14. lobo

lobo TRIBE Member

Damn yes! I remember playing that game and loving every minute of it. The way the storyline flowed was just so wicked. *sigh* I miss games like that.

Lobo

15. workdowntown

The SuperGeNinTari. This is for real apparently.
    [​IMG]

16. gsnuff

gsnuff TRIBE Promoter

I'm looking forward to noodling with Spore soon. I just found this this morning, knew it was coming!

My fave line from the first post: "Yesterday I found out about a new game called Spore when my son asked me to buy it for him. It looked innocent enough at first and has “E for Everyone” ESRB rating. But don’t be mislead, apparently “everyone” means everyone they want to teach evolution to."

17. Stan

Stan TRIBE Member

It's a joke site. Read the latest news post.

But the Bible teaches us that God was not done with man. For we were His creation and He then spoke to Noah in Genesis 8:21-27 after the flood.
    “21. The LORD smelled the pleasing aroma and said in his heart: “Never again will I curse the ground because of man, even though every inclination of his heart is evil from childhood. And never gonna give you up. 22. “Never gonna let you down.” 23.”Never gonna run around and desert you.” 24. “Never gonna make you cry.” 25. “Never gonna say goodbye.” 26. “Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you.” 27.”Never truly believe anything you read on the Internet. There will always be cases of Poe’s Law.”

18. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

My son is all over the DS version - Spore Creatures. He figured that shit out in like two seconds, really enjoys it.

19. KodiaK

KodiaK TRIBE Member

anyone pick up Stalker: Clear Sky yet?

what's it like? i loved the first game

20. Colm

Colm TRIBE Member

That site was an excellent way of making everyone look very stupid. It learned me, for one.

The new Stalker is getting shite reviews. Apparently they took steps backward... which really blows. The first game had the best atmosphere I've ever experienced in a game. I hated being in the 'Zone', it was hell. Now the reviewers are saying that the 'Zone' isn't such a bad, evil place.

Oh well.

21. gsnuff

gsnuff TRIBE Promoter

@Stan You are right! I didn't "read the fine print" I really was expecting a fundamentalist backlash against the title though.

22. Rajio

Rajio Well-Known TRIBEr

but the game is creationist. changes you make to biology have no impact on performance and actions have no impact on changes to anatomic configuration (from what i understand) ... so like bigger legs wont make you run faster and you cant level up your teeth for effect. i havent tried but im told all user design is purely cosmetic.

seems pretty creationist.

23. Colm

Colm TRIBE Member

Evolutionary Creationism!

Just wait for this game to be part of the Republican platform any moment.

24. kaniz

kaniz TRIBE Member

I'm playing Final Fantasy Crisis Core for the PSP. All around, I'm really enjoying the game, but some things I wish game developers would learn.

1 - Cut scenes that you can not skip suck
    2 - Having easy mode being almost boringly easy, yet hard mode being frustratingly hard and not offering a 'normal mode' is a bad idea.
    3 - Infrequent save points, combined with no check-points, combined with long bits of content before 'boss fights', combined with long cut-scenes before said boss fights is /really/ annoying.

I was playing on easy mode for a bit and got thinking 'damn, this is too easy', so I go to re-start my game in hard mode. While I dont mind eating dirt in games now and then, as long as I can pick up /somewhat/ close to where I left off, and able to skip the cut-scenes I just watched.

But, when you die, then forced to kill a few more NPCS, watch a cut scene, kill a few more - and you know that you have a rather long haul to go before your next save point (and a few more cut scenes inbetween), it's really, really, really fucking annoying. As a result, I've gone back to playing easy mode.

Hell, I wouldn't mind being 'forced' to watch the cut scenes once - but have the game be smart enough to know that you just watched it, and let you skip past it after would be swell.

My 2nd minor gripe about this Final Fantasy, is the lack of interactivity in the Digital Mind Wave thing. It kicks in at random, then you do nothing but sit there watching a flashy-like slot machine waiting for a special ability to kick in, and then only sit there and watch the animation for it kick in. What I really liked about Final Fantasy 13 for the PS2, was the interactive nature of Mists (combined with you having control over when they kicked in). Sure, they started off being stupidly over-powered when you first got them, then by the end of the game they sucked and it was best to not bother with them - but the mini-game around them was kinda fun.

25. Stan

Stan TRIBE Member

No, user design actually does have an effect on performance. You can select from different body parts and each one has a level 1 to 5 in certain abilities. Like carnivorous mouths might have higher levels in "Bite" so when you fight other creatures you can do more damage. Herbivorous mouths have higher levels in "Sing", so you can communicate with other creatures and make friends easier, etc. There's also other parts like claws, spikes, horns that give different abilities.

The problem is these mostly only matter in the creature stage, and when your creature evolves from there to the Tribal stage, most of your decisions that you made in the last stage don't have any effect in the next one.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2008