1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

The Eternal Video Game Thread

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Evil Dynovac, Jan 14, 2004.

1. Evil Dynovac

Evil Dynovac TRIBE Member

I've seen X-BOX, PS2, Gamecube, and PC game threads in droves that die but this thread will be an ongoing epic of all things game related. Any game - any system. This thread will become the Nobody Cares of video games except there's one difference, I care. I care about video games. Too much these days.

I am 70% through Prince of Persia and I love it. I am at the part where you are in this Great Library and you have to get the beams of light reflecting off the mirrors. It seemed like it would take some time so I left it.

Last night I played two hours of SSX3 with my friend. This snowboard game is awesome, so beyond the bounds of reality and yet so believable. Last night I bought 30Gs worth of gear for my little Japanese boarder chick. Buying new jackets, hats, and backpacks apparently doesn't improve performance but I don't care. She looks so fly that I dream of kissing her when she blasts by the Finish Line.

Note - When Japanese snowboard bunnies are Ubering off a thousand foot drop, kicking and spinning their board as they go they tend to yell 'SUGOI' which means COOL!

This week I must buy this game.

2. Brandon

Brandon TRIBE Member

I finished XIII for the gamecube last night and I thought it was great. I saw the big twist coming a mile away but the game was so much fun to play it didn't matter.

3. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

FFXI Is boring and there is no point, but i'm moderatly addicted anyways.

4. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

That level almost made me tear my hair out!

But it's fun fun.

I can't wait for Final Fantasy: Christal Chronicals!!!

Plus I heard Beyond Good and Evil had a huge price drop so I'm gonna go pick it up this weekend.

T.H.U.G. Sick Mode is hard as hell, I can't complete the wallplant manual combo.......how the hell do they expect me to turn a corner??? HOW???

5. Boss Hog

Boss Hog TRIBE Member

when is the next doom

6. KiFe

KiFe TRIBE Member

Since noone replied in the xboxlive thread.. ill post it in here..... only because i'm sooo damn impressed by these screenshots... and you all should be too.

This game isnt out till march 04.. but man.. im already feeling the anticipation.. just from these screenshots alone.

anyone who's played rallisport challenge1 knows how tight this game should be...

Live support would make it unstoppable...

Let's hope gamespot lets me link
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. pr0nstar

pr0nstar TRIBE Member

Counter Strike on the PC pWnz me!

Call of Duty was grood but short.
    I need another vice... and my XBox back from vinderloos.

pr0nstar :D

8. defazman

defazman TRIBE Member

I just bought Enter the Matirx and Wolverines Revenge for PS2 for $20 total from blockbuster. I started Wolverine's Revenge last night, pretty fun.

9. stir-fry

stir-fry TRIBE Member

Rainbow 6 #3 has my full attention right now.
    it's so fuckin good

I feel the need to neutralize tarrorists on a daily basis.

civilization III - conquests is decent too

Last edited: Jan 14, 2004
  10. KiFe

KiFe TRIBE Member

0h yeah...

my vices these days:

Project Gotham 2 and CrimsonSkies.

altho i have barely touched crimsonskies since i got PGR2... faaking sweet game.

11. silver1

silver1 TRIBE Member

Well the post Christmas winter months are usually a lull in the video game industry and we don't see any really good releases untill about April. But now is a good time to pick up the games that you didn't in the fall.

One game that I want to pick up is Return of the King.

Two Towers was a fun "Hack n' Slash" game with a good experience upgrade system to build up your guys with new moves and combos to dispose of those nasty orcses. The only thing it lacked was a co-op multiplayer mode.

Well RotK has given us just that. Not to mention beefed up graphics as well as more playable characters (TT had only Aragorn, Gimli, and Legolas).

It's been averaging around 84% in the reviews.

Looking forward to eventually chillin' on the couch, hacking away through Middle earth with a friend.

And you can pour hot oil down on the enemies! How f*ckin' cool is that!?!?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Evil Dynovac

I've got Return of the King and am 50/50 on it. The graphics are good. What I don't like is you must spend a fair amount of time orienting yourself and figuring out what you are supposed to do on a given level. There is very little explanation or help in that regard. Because it's timed you end up doing levels over and over and that can be annoying.

What is neat is that you fight more like a martial art game (Tekken) then an RPG. The more special maneuvers you use, the more points you score, which means you level faster, which means you learn more flashy moves and so on. It gives the levels replayability.

13. KiFe

KiFe TRIBE Member

I wasnt very impressed by this game....

the controls were sloppy.. and it was hard to tell which guy was mine.. since they all wear grey cloaks...

Having 1p or 2p hover over your head is helpful, but uglifies the continuity of the sets/graphics..

now to get nitpicky... the first level in the game starts off in the TOMB of the dead or whatever... and like in that screenshot, there's LOTS of fog.

Now i dont know if the game devellopers didn't feel like making a groundplane for that level... or just assumed that everyone would love OPAQUE fog...

C'mon people.... such nice graphics then you go fucking it up with OPAQUE fog. yuck.

There's no doubt this is a movie-game... and if you're a fan of being able to control the camera placement in a 3d game.. this one is NOT for you... Clearly the director of this game had a vision... and from one level to another, the camera is pre-set. (ala devil may cry)

i go sneh on this game.. but i didnt give it MUCH of a chance. heh.

hardcore LOTR fans will love it.
    hardcore gamers will not.

14. KickIT

KickIT TRIBE Member

I just resubscribed to X-Box Live last night.

Anyone have Top Spin Tennis and up for a game?

What are some other good Live titles where the online play is the best feature of the game? Crimson Skies looks good, anything else?

*c* <-- mr dobalina

15. pr0nstar

pr0nstar TRIBE Member

Me and vinder couldn't get past the part when you had to run out of the tombs while it was falling down, no matter how many times we tried. And that was on easy.

pr0nstar

16. KiFe

KiFe TRIBE Member

i have topspin criskies and pgr2.

they are all EXCELLENT live experiences.

you must buy them all.

17. Evil Dynovac

My wife and I finished that level after a few tries and my wife is a girl. You basically play worse than a girl.

Gay much?

18. silver1

silver1 TRIBE Member

Also an interesting bit of Video game news.

Ed Fries, Vice President of Games Publishing, has left Microsoft.

For those of you who don't know who he is, Ed Fries was one of the very top dogs in terms of the XBox games division. He was instrumental in securing support from third party developers as well as being the guy who got Microsoft to pick up such developers as Bungie, Ensemble and Rare. Games such as Halo, Halo 2, PGR & PGR 2 were made under his direction. Much of the early success of the Xbox is directly attributed to Ed Fries.

Chief XBox Officer said that Fries didn't give any reason for his resignation, and knowing his love for games, thinks he will remain working in the industry.

XBox will truck along without him but this is big loss for MS.

19. KiFe

KiFe TRIBE Member

big gain for whoever get's this guy... or big gain for whatever project he'll be working on next.

20. pr0nstar

pr0nstar TRIBE Member

We tried 4 times, OK.. then got bored of it.. :p

pr0nstar :D

21. Evil Dynovac

Bored of being of loser? Yeah, I imagine that could get tedious.

:p :p

22. rod_g

rod_g TRIBE Member

That game looks fierce dude
    Subaru rally sport blue reprezent

23. KiFe

KiFe TRIBE Member

Haha.. yes! finally a little recognition for these screens.

I can't believe more people arent as impressed about this shit as i am..

i'm going to be counting down the days to this one.

MUD MUD MUD MUD SNO MUD MUD EVERYWHERE!!! WHEEEEEE!!!!

24. silver1

silver1 TRIBE Member

Never been a racing game fan myself. Looks cool though.

25. pr0nstar

pr0nstar TRIBE Member

You didn't like Colin McCrae Rally?