1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

The eternal MMA thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by silver1, Sep 14, 2004.

1. silver1

silver1 TRIBE Member

from wrestlingobserver.com:

--Pride announced earlier today for 10/31 at the Saitama Super Arena and on PPV in North America same day:
    *Wanderlei Silva vs. Quinton Jackson for the middleweight title
    *Mirko Cro Cop vs. Josh Barnett (so the match is now official, and it's being pushed as Pride vs. New Japan)
    *Kazuhiko Nakamura vs. Dan Henderson
    Plus Aleksander Emelianenko, Mark Hunt, Dan Bobish, Heath Herring, Hirotaka Yokoi and Hiromitsu Kanehara

--------------------------------------------------------------

There's your answer re: Henderson PK Ripper.

Also, for those of you who don't know, Josh Barnett used to be UFCs heavyweight champ until he was stripped of the title for testing positive for roids in his match against Randy Couture.

Barnett is still considered by many to be one of the top 5 Heavyweights in the world but he hasn't faced uber top opponents in a while. A match with Cro Cop should be awesome.

The outcome of it will determine who will fight on New Years if either Fedor or Nog can't fight in the planned rematch.

Also we'll finally get to see who wins in a fresh Jackson vs. Silva match (i.e. neither guy fighting twice that night like last years tournament).

I hope it's only a one night tape delay and not a week like the GP finals were. I don't want to have to avoid all the MMA sites for a week again.

2. Subsonic Chronic

Subsonic Chronic TRIBE Member

I sure hope this means no tape delay!

3. silver1

silver1 TRIBE Member

Ok.

a) I obviously can't read.

b) Same day will probably mean it's live in Japan Sat. night and Sunday night here (13 hour difference = 'same day' but tape delayed)

4. Subsonic Chronic

Mezger out for next UFC

Saw this on wrestlingobserver.com this morning... bad news for the UFC. They just can't seem to get a break!

5. silver1

silver1 TRIBE Member

Here is basically what's happened in the last 24 hours.
    (from the MMAWeekly forums posted by the admin)

6. silver1

silver1 TRIBE Member

So just to note, 2 Canadians are co-main eventing this one.

Both Cote (now fight Tito) and St. Pierre (Fighting Hughes for the WW title) are Canadian boys.

But by the looks of things, this means 2 canadian boys are going to get beat up next weekend :(

7. Subsonic Chronic

Is UFC 50 in Jersey?

I thought after the failed experiments in other states that they were sticking to Vegas for all their future U.S. events.

8. silver1

silver1 TRIBE Member

Ya. It's in Atlantic City.

They've done ok there and at the Mohegan Sun in Conneticut. Not Vegas numbers. But they want to help build their market on the east coast because as of right now, the majority of their fans are from the west coast where the sport is bigger.

Oh, and just to note how big of an underdog Cote is for the fight, the opening odds are:

Tito Ortiz -550
    Patrick Cote +350

That means if you bet $100 on Cote and he wins, you win $550. But if you're picking Ortiz, you'd have to bet $350 to win $100

9. Subsonic Chronic

Well... I'll still be gunning for our Canadian boy, as much out of national pride as out of dislike for that punk Tito. ;)

10. silver1

silver1 TRIBE Member

This is a HUGE opportunity for both St. Pierre and Cote as they are training partners in "Team Union" and are the top stars of the TKO Promotion in Quebec.

Cote is the Canadian LHW champion in TKO with a 5-0-0 record.

I'll definitely be cheering for both of them.

11. Pk Ripper

Pk Ripper TRIBE Member

st. pierre is a bad ass!!!

12. silver1

silver1 TRIBE Member

Hughes is no slouch ;)

Either way, I've read nothing but good things about St. Pierre. I'm looking forward to that fight the most

13. Pk Ripper

Pk Ripper TRIBE Member

yeah for sure! I was in shock when hughes lost to penn. He had a really tough time in his last UFC outing aswell (against penn's first BJJ coach). IMO it could have went either way.

UFC card fell apart but I will catch it regardless.

How is Cote? I think I may have seen one of his fights (TKO).

14. silver1

silver1 TRIBE Member

Don't know too much about Cote. He's 5-0-0 and the TKO LHW champ. His last two fights have been quick KOs. He supposedly has real knockout power in his right hand. But I really have no clue what kind of take down defense he has.

Who knows. Maybe Tito will over estimate him?

A good thing would be if they had an exciting, long fight that Tito won. Tito would get back on a winning track, and Cote would gain bigtime in the LHW division just by hanging with Tito for a long fight.

This is a great opportunity for a new star to be made even if he looses in the LHW division (UFCs most popular division)

15. Pk Ripper

Pk Ripper TRIBE Member

booo! i'm working tonight! going to miss this!

silver1, i know you are probably enjoying this!

16. redeyes

redeyes TRIBE Member

i recently purchased "The Smashing Maching, The Life and Times of Extreme Fighter Mark Kerr."

let me say that this is the best documentary i've ever saw. 10 time better then Beyond the Mat and i gave that an 11 out of 10.

mark kerr is very articulate. he also seems like one hell on a friendly guy. i hope he gotten his life back in order. i'd like to see him fight again. i was very disappointed in what happened in his last fight when he knocked himself out. i think he can really shake up the UFC heavyweight division if he got his life back on track.

there's some really good fight footage as well. mark kerr laid one serious beating on Paul Varlens back in the day. pete williams gave mark coleman a crocop-style knockout, it was fucking vicious.

if yor don't want order through the mail, you can find the dvd at Sunrise at Yonge and Bloor.

peace

17. Pk Ripper

Pk Ripper TRIBE Member

yes! bad ass documentary! at one point in time mark kerr was the most dominant heavyweight out there!

I'm not to sure what happened to him, it might have been the drugs, it might have been his gf now wife dawn.

do you have the extra footage where bas KO's ricco?

18. silver1

silver1 TRIBE Member

With the exception of the main event, I thought UFC was really good. Close solid fights.

Rich Franklin vs. Gorge Rivera was awesome.

St. Pierre did really well against Hughes. Lost it in the dying seconds of the 1st.

Cote lasted the fight but you could see he was really outmatched.

But both Canadian guys are young and I see big futures ahead of them.

19. Subsonic Chronic

I thought this weekend's UFC was still a fun show to watch, despite the absence of any big marquee matches.

Rich Franklin vs. Gorge Rivera was great, and probably my favourite of the night. I also liked Trigg vs. Charuto.

St-Pierre vs. Hughes was good too, although I was hoping that St-Pierre could have held off tapping for that one extra moment to end the round. He was holding his own against Hughes up until that point, which is a feat in itself. Hopefully he'll get some more exposure soon.

Cote was outclassed in his fight with Tito, but toughed it out and held on to a decision loss, which IMO, is about the best he could have hoped for. He's one tough s.o.b. for sure, and I'd like to see more of him soon too. Tito needed to step up after two big losses, but I don't think this snooze of a fight really helped him all that much. Cote's face didn't look like it took all those elbows that Ortiz was raining down on him through pretty much all of the second and third rounds. He did throw a couple of nice punches when they were standing up, and at one point looke like he'd even stunned Ortiz with one of them.

Can't wait for Pride next weekend!

20. silver1

silver1 TRIBE Member

Pride Fight Card:

FIGHT CARD

Wanderlei Silva (Brazil) vs. Quinton Jackson (USA)
    (This bout is for the PRIDE middleweight championship)

Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic (Croatia) vs. Josh Barnett (USA)

Dan Henderson (USA) vs. Kazuhiro Nakamura (Japan)

Hirotaka Yokoi (Japan) vs. Heath Herring (USA)

Mark Hunt (New Zealand) vs. Dan Bobish (USA)

Ricardo Arona (Brazil) vs. Sergei Ignatev (Russia)

Hiromitsu Kanehara (Japan) vs. Alistair Overeem (Holland)

Aleksander Emelianenko (Russia) vs. James Thompson (England)

Choi Mu Bae (Korea) vs. Soa Palelei (Australia)

21. Subsonic Chronic

Is Ricardo Arona the one who took that huge Last Ride/Powerslam from Quinton Jackson a couple of Prides ago?

22. silver1

silver1 TRIBE Member

yup

23. kriztian

kriztian TRIBE Member

Doh i missed the ufc forgot about it but won't miss pride it's too good to miss

ps Silva owned Jackson once and I reckon he is gonna have no problem with again

24. Subsonic Chronic

I dunno... Silva and Jackson both had prior fights that night, and Jackson had a tougher time dispatching Chuck Lidell than Silva had taking care of Yoshida.

Don't get me wrong, Silva destroyed Jackson with all those vicious knees, and stands a good chance at repeating that feat this weekend, but it could still be an entirely different fight when both guys are fresh and both guys have been training exclusively for this one fight.

25. silver1

silver1 TRIBE Member

But don't forget Pete, Silva has found God now and turned into a pussy.