• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The Early-Bird Ticket scam.

mingster

TRIBE Member
The scenario:

I find myself in posession of a flyer to a party that looks hype. As I read it, looking thorugh the line-up, I end my perusal with the venue, outlets and ticket prices. and what makes me happy? EARLY BIRD TICKETS!!!.

So I get my happy ass on down to a ticket outlet, thinking "ooohhh,if I can get there soon enough, I'll get early birds! And I'll be that much happier, and richer. But lately, when I get to wherever if is I'm gonna buy the tickets, I end up feeling like the worlds bigget sucker, cuz there's no EARLY BIRD TICKETS!!!!. I ask the clerk, "did you get any EBT?" And they usually say no.

WTF is up with this shit? Is it a scam by the promoters? Are the promoters neglecting some outlets. If they only have 200 EBT, I figure, they'll distribute them evenly. Right? Wrong. Or at least tell us where we can get the EBT. Christ.

All I want is a little bit of R-E-S-P-E-C-T.

Ming.
 

noahmintz

TRIBE Member
I'm not going to mention any names ... but I do know of promoters who limit their early bird tickets to certain outlets ... usually the downtown ones

stu
 

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by mingster
The scenario:

I find myself in posession of a flyer to a party that looks hype. As I read it, looking thorugh the line-up, I end my perusal with the venue, outlets and ticket prices. and what makes me happy? EARLY BIRD TICKETS!!!.

So I get my happy ass on down to a ticket outlet, thinking "ooohhh,if I can get there soon enough, I'll get early birds! And I'll be that much happier, and richer. But lately, when I get to wherever if is I'm gonna buy the tickets, I end up feeling like the worlds bigget sucker, cuz there's no EARLY BIRD TICKETS!!!!. I ask the clerk, "did you get any EBT?" And they usually say no.

WTF is up with this shit? Is it a scam by the promoters? Are the promoters neglecting some outlets. If they only have 200 EBT, I figure, they'll distribute them evenly. Right? Wrong. Or at least tell us where we can get the EBT. Christ.

All I want is a little bit of R-E-S-P-E-C-T.

Ming.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

bucky

TRIBE Member
promoters probably just get lazy and forget about them...

...the thing that pisses me off is when by prices it says, "more at the door" - pick a price and be confident in your party that it'll be successful and that you'll be able to honor that price at the door! I decided not to go anywhere this past saturday night, i was in Toronto saturday evening but drove home at midnight cuz I didnt know if i would've been able to afford "more at the door" at either of the parties going on..... maybe theres more to it, but yea...

ok i feel better now :)
 

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by bucky
promoters probably just get lazy and forget about them...

...the thing that pisses me off is when by prices it says, "more at the door" - pick a price and be confident in your party that it'll be successful and that you'll be able to honor that price at the door! I decided not to go anywhere this past saturday night, i was in Toronto saturday evening but drove home at midnight cuz I didnt know if i would've been able to afford "more at the door" at either of the parties going on..... maybe theres more to it, but yea...

ok i feel better now :)
Because door prices matter on pre-sale, you should know that. :D
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Redout

TRIBE Member
wow I feel soo sorry for you 2, I will personally cough up that 7.50 each u guys had to pay extra.

Redout
 

mingster

TRIBE Member
That's not the point. I just shelled out 40$ to see an upcoming event.

I just think promoters and parties should operate with a little bit more respect for their customers. It is a legitimate business, but it seems that just because there is no regulation, or adherence to it, that promoters do whatever the fuck they want, when it comes to ticket prices. I think it's rude and disrespectful.

Ming.
 

Redout

TRIBE Member
I agree but isn't it also ironic that promotion group gets less and less respects from the partiers too these days?

Redout
 

Aphrodite

TRIBE Member
not from me... I will big up a company I have respect to till I'm blue in the face.


KickIT for instance throw my favorite parties... garenteed the best tunes.
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

mingster

TRIBE Member
To a certain degree, companies are just like other businesses in customer service. They provide me with a product, and I pay for it. I give them my money and they survive on it. And for that, I expect quality. I'm not gonna get into a whole discussion about the scene's economic functions and so on, or the strife of the promoter.

And I'm not discounting my belief in the community, but even in the community, people should be fair to each other. That's how you earn respect. If I'm going to give you my money, you're gonna have to earn my respect.

Ming.
 

joey

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by mingster
The scenario:

I find myself in posession of a flyer to a party that looks hype. As I read it, looking thorugh the line-up, I end my perusal with the venue, outlets and ticket prices. and what makes me happy? EARLY BIRD TICKETS!!!.

So I get my happy ass on down to a ticket outlet, thinking "ooohhh,if I can get there soon enough, I'll get early birds! And I'll be that much happier, and richer. But lately, when I get to wherever if is I'm gonna buy the tickets, I end up feeling like the worlds bigget sucker, cuz there's no EARLY BIRD TICKETS!!!!. I ask the clerk, "did you get any EBT?" And they usually say no.

WTF is up with this shit? Is it a scam by the promoters? Are the promoters neglecting some outlets. If they only have 200 EBT, I figure, they'll distribute them evenly. Right? Wrong. Or at least tell us where we can get the EBT. Christ.

All I want is a little bit of R-E-S-P-E-C-T.

Ming.
ha ha you said hype
 

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Redout
I agree but isn't it also ironic that promotion group gets less and less respects from the partiers too these days?

Redout
I don't see anything wrong with that. Like Mel said, the customers (partiers) are paying for a product/service, and if they're are not satisfy with it I think it is fair for them to have negative opinion on the product/service. Unless promoters are paying partiers to party I think promoters should listen to their customers and improve their product.

The saying "Customer is always right" didn't just come out of nowhere. We hear it so often because it makes sense. Without customers there is no way a business can survive.

Pete
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Uncle Bobby

TRIBE Promoter
'more at the door' prompts you and your friends to buy tickets earlier...locking you in to coming to the event and in turn, lowers the probability that a promoter will loose his shirt.

UB.
 

Redout

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by SneakyPete


I don't see anything wrong with that. Like Mel said, the customers (partiers) are paying for a product/service, and if they're are not satisfy with it I think it is fair for them to have negative opinion on the product/service. Unless promoters are paying partiers to party I think promoters should listen to their customers and improve their product.

The saying "Customer is always right" didn't just come out of nowhere. We hear it so often because it makes sense. Without customers there is no way a business can survive.

Pete
It's so easy to say that but things don't always go as planned. I think it's impossible to satisfy everybody but companies do try. I think if companies are there to scam you then they wouldn't be a company in the first place. (This being said because they wouldn't last very long.) But regardless I think customers should get wat they paid for but I think people ask for way more then what they put down.

Redout
 

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
Scam

In some cases, promoters will release early bird tickets for sale exclusively through Ticketmaster. Assuming you do not buy over the internet, you can still save a few bucks.
 

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by Redout


It's so easy to say that but things don't always go as planned. I think it's impossible to satisfy everybody but companies do try. I think if companies are there to scam you then they wouldn't be a company in the first place. (This being said because they wouldn't last very long.) But regardless I think customers should get wat they paid for but I think people ask for way more then what they put down.

Redout
This depends on your interpretation of 'scam'. If you mean entirely illegal, then sure most companies won't go that far, but only because of legal ramifications. Companies, all companies, are there to make money, and increasing price while decreasing expenditures--and thus decreasing quality in almost all cases--is a very effective way to make money. The bigger the company, the more resources it has to this end--thus the evils of corporatism (refer to No Logo by Naomi Klein for the myriad of way that a large company with a lot of capital can cut back on expenditures to the detriment of it's concumers and workers.)

Party Companies have a specific product and the effects of cost-cutting are relative to that specific product. There are no foreign peasant workers to exploit, so they have to find other ways. Also, getting back the legal restrictions on 'scams', the law tends to not be so concerned about 'ravers rights' as opposed to general consumers rights, so in that sense at least the companies have a bit of leeway...

Just some thoughts.

D.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders
Top