• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

The Dean Blundell Show Cancelled

oeretS

TRIBE Member
And the 88.1 factor, especially since they received their signal boost, they've surely been eating into 102.1's audience, no?
that's a shift in market share, which would support the Globe's argument. I would imagine that's happening and will continue to happen.

My point was that there are circumstances that would negatively affect EVERY Toronto radio station in the month of January, thus making the Globe article somewhat misleading.

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
Definitely. I got that.

I just figured that it's not all people fleeing due to those factors or Dean getting booted. I think the Edge is losing lots of listeners to 88.1.

stryker

TRIBE Member
Definitely. I got that.

I just figured that it's not all people fleeing due to those factors or Dean getting booted. I think the Edge is losing lots of listeners to 88.1.
This

88.1 is in the middle of a massive media campaign right now and unless Corus comes up with something big I see the 102.1 audience getting smaller.

stew

acheron

TRIBE Member
hehe I posted a bit about the ratings story on torontomike this morning, his response was interesting:

Friday Open Mike | Toronto Mike's Blog

"I'm glad someone brought up the story making the rounds that the 102.1 morning show ratings have plummeted since Dean Blundell left.

Here it is in the Post: Dean Blundell firing over homophobic remarks leaves radio station’s ratings plummeting | National Post

Those numbers are being circulated by a PR firm called Devon Group, owned by Bob Richardson, a friend of Dean Blundell's. Here they are on NYE... with John Baird, of all people.

1. It's absurd to argue that a 50% decline is bad when it's surprising it isn't 90%.

2. The Devon Group - Dean Blundell alliance is also very interesting for reasons I choose not to publish. It's a very curious marriage..."

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

oeretS

TRIBE Member
88.1 is in the middle of a massive media campaign right now and unless Corus comes up with something big I see the 102.1 audience getting smaller.
there's still differences though, I would suspect a die hard fan of EDGE might find 88.1 a bit soft or twee in their programming. I don't know too many people who are into the harder modern rock but apparently they're out there

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
I've seen that picture before, but didn't notice Baird in it. Hilarious. Is that an attempt at gaining some closeted gay street cred?

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
there's still differences though, I would suspect a die hard fan of EDGE might find 88.1 a bit soft or twee in their programming. I don't know too many people who are into the harder modern rock but apparently they're out there
Hard Modern Rock in Canada: A Theory of Dying Man

Q107 and 102.1 The Edge's programming aren't as different as they used to be. Q107 could pick up the listeners that find 88.1's programming not quite what they wanted if they tweaked their programming slightly.

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
q107 should be named rolling stones/beatles/zepplin station

it is fucking horrible. the amount of music they could play and yet they have at least 1 song from each of the bands mentioned every fucking hour

how about some cars, fleetwood mac, doors, steely dan etc ffs

acheron

TRIBE Member
Q107 is the Kim Mitchell channel. All this Cancon and they have to play him all the fucking time. it must be part of his contract. I mean how asinine is it to have him introduce his own music. It's retarded. And yeah, their playlist in general is really thin. Seems to be par for the course for most stations. There are brief moments in the market where the programming seems wide open. Like when JackFM came in and they didn't have DJs for the first six weeks or so and it was just this glorious deep playlist that went right to the dusty back of the library, with no talk over it. This is exactly why most of the time it's my 2000-song playlist on my idevice that wins my listenership.

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
Rumour is Blundell is replacing Brady and Walker on 590. Interesting move because I thought Brady and Walker get pretty good ratings.

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

Zorro

TRIBE Member
I don't think the moves they are making are very good idea.
Myself I cant stand Greg Brady and won't be listening between 1-4 any more.

agentRC4

TRIBE Member
Is This The New Sportsnet Fan 590 Lineup? Toronto Sports Media Blog

TORONTO (January 20, 2015) Sportsnet today announced exciting additions to its radio and TV lineups beginning this spring, as Tim Micallef and Sid Seixeiro –co-hosts of the immensely popular sports-talk radio show Tim & Sid – will be moving to television, while the new radio morning show Dean Blundell & Co. will be debuting on Sportsnet 590 The FAN.

Tim & Sid’s move to television will be headlined by a new show, airing weekdays from 5 to 7 p.m. ET on Sportsnet, starting July 1. Details of the new show will be announced in the coming months. The duo, whose last radio show airs March 27, will make special appearances on other Sportsnet programming throughout the spring.

“Tim & Sid are tremendous stars – they’ve revolutionized sports talk radio with their innovative format and infectious personalities,” said Scott Moore, President, Sportsnet & NHL Properties, Rogers. “This is the natural next step for them, and it increases our television offering by creating a new type of late afternoon sports program. I can’t wait to see what they do.”

On the radio side, Dean Blundell joins Sportsnet 590 The FAN to co-host the new morning show, Dean Blundell & Co., alongside Andrew Walker. Dean Blundell & Co. debuts on March 2, and will air weekdays from 5:30 to 9 a.m. ET. Greg Brady, co-host of the current morning show Brady & Walker, will take over the 1 to 4 p.m. ET timeslot previously hosted by Tim & Sid, starting March 30.

“Sportsnet 590 The FAN is the number one sports radio station in Toronto,” said Moore. “With the addition of a big talent in Dean Blundell to host our morning show, a ratings winner in Greg Brady taking over early afternoons, all capped off in the evenings with Prime Time Sports with Bob McCown – the top sports radio show in the country – we’re well positioned to continue to dominate in this market.” Starting this spring, the new weekday lineup for Sportsnet 590 The FAN is as follows: 5:30 – 9 a.m. ET – Dean Blundell & Co. 9 a.m. – Noon ET – The Jeff Blair Show Noon – 1 p.m. ET – Hockey Central @ Noon 1 – 4 p.m. ET – Greg Brady 4 – 7 p.m. ET – Prime Time Sports with Bob McCown”
Tags: andrew walker, Andrew Walker 9-12, bob Mccown, dean blundell, Fan 590, Greg Brady, PTS, Sportsnet Fan590 lineup, Toronto Sports Media

acheron

TRIBE Member
Fan590 is a Rogers-owned company so hopefully they will be fairly sensitive to any complaints about about sexism or bigotry on Blundell's new show.

JamesM

TRIBE Member
Good. Some people are stick in the muds. He makes me laugh whenever I tune in back on the edge. Let's just hope he's learned his boundaries this time around.